Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
ordered myself a jetbook and have a few questions

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have been lurking in the ereaders section for the last week or so.

I was holding out for a colour ereader but decided it was time to get an ereader. That decision was made easier when my pda died a couple of weeks ago.

I made the plunge and ordered the jetbook yesterday from newegg.com. It'll come with the leather cover and a booklight (a bundle package).

While the jetbook will be my first "ereader", I have been reading ebooks/emagazines using isilo and mobipocket and zinio on my pdas and tablets for many years.

I have three questions that I hope someone can help:

1. Will I be able to use the French/English dictionary when I read books in French? If the French/English dictionary is not included, can I purchase it from Ectaco?

2. I noticed that ebooks are being offered for sale in a number of formats including epub, mobi and pdf. Should I get them in epub or it doesn't really matter?

3. until the new firmware arrives, am I correct in that I can drop purchased ebooks into calibre and that will allow me to transfer them to my jetbook?

Thanks and I'm sure I'll have more questions once the jetbook arrives.

Cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome hiaig! My nephew and his family recently moved to Toronto. When will the Argos get a quarterback they can count on?

Your needs with a jetBook may differ from mine with a jetBook Lite, so I will let those with your model answer your questions. Just keep in mind that for both the issue of the DRM is more important than the format.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiaig View Post

I have three questions that I hope someone can help:

1. Will I be able to use the French/English dictionary when I read books in French? If the French/English dictionary is not included, can I purchase it from Ectaco?

2. I noticed that ebooks are being offered for sale in a number of formats including epub, mobi and pdf. Should I get them in epub or it doesn't really matter?

3. until the new firmware arrives, am I correct in that I can drop purchased ebooks into calibre and that will allow me to transfer them to my jetbook?

Thanks and I'm sure I'll have more questions once the jetbook arrives.

Cheers

I also only have the JetBook Lite (JBL), but most of your questions
have been addressed in this forum.

1. Oddly, the JBL has no French Dictionary support, perhaps the regular
JetBook does? The posts that I've seen suggest not.

2. Part of the format selection is a matter of personnel preference.
For instance the JBL supports a number of formats but I prefer the way
epub gets displayed, with it's line spacing - others prefer pdb files for
their tighter spacing.

3. Calibre does NOT work on ebooks that have DRM encryption applied
to them. You will have to remove the DRM for Calibre to be able to work
with purchased files that came with DRM.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
1. Oddly, the JBL has no French Dictionary support, perhaps the regular
JetBook does? The posts that I've seen suggest not.
Ken
Thanks for the quick reply, I read that thread about the french dictionary too and it seems that it's not free. I guess I'll contact ectaco to order the dictionary.

Cheers
Old 04-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
hiaig
Addict

Just as an update, I decided to email Ectaco on Thursday night about the French dictionary, I got my answers this morning:

1. The Jetbook contains only the German, English, Russian and Polish dictionary.
2. I cannot pay for a French dictionary as there isn't one for the Jetbook.
3. When asked if the French dictionary will be included in future updates, Ectaco replied "Probably, in the future we create it for the Jetbook but now, we don't have it."

Well, I guess no French dictionary for now and I'm not holding my breath for one soon, but I'm quite impressed with the prompt replies given that it's Good Friday/Easter Weekend.

Cheers
Old 04-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
GameMisconduct
GameMisconduct began at the beginning.

Device: ECTACO Jetbook
I recently plunged into the ebook world and bought an original jetbook. A couple ebooks I wanted to tackle first I had on my laptop in pdf format. However, the pdf looks rather bad on the jetbook at present. Is there an easy way to format the pdf so that it looks much more clean on the screen of the jetbook?
GameMisconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiaig View Post
Yes, Calibre will let you transfer them to your Jetbook. I don't know what drm's books the Jetbook will read though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
3. Calibre does NOT work on ebooks that have DRM encryption applied to them. You will have to remove the DRM for Calibre to be able to work with purchased files that came with DRM.
I am not familiar with pdb drm files, but Calibre will manage Sony's LRX, Adobe's ePub and PDF and Kindle's topaz and azw drm'd files. With these formats metadata can be updated and the files transferred to the attached device within Calibre.

Calibre can not convert these files to other formats or read these files within its own viewer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Too bad you didn't ask before buying. I understand that they have a supplier in the GTA as that is where mine shipped from.

The jetBook does not at this time support DRM of any kind. I know as I was caught by that when I saw the combined ad at their web site for both the jetBook and jetBook lite. I assumed they both had DRM support. There is a promise of adding drm support but when is unclear.

The jetBook-Lite supports DRM pdb which is offered at Barns and Noble (but B&N are now also offering ADE ePub).

The jetBook-Lite does not support the dictionary.

The jetBook supports a dictionary that I believe is designed more for those that need translations between languages. (Ger, Span, Rus, Pol and Eng) no French. Because of this design I believe that the word database is smaller as I found that on the average 8 out of 10 look-ups end up not found. I would have preferred to have the choice of language and have a stronger word database. I am not sure if they are really serious about the e-reader technology or are just using it to introduce people to their translation technology. I believe the exact same dictionary is offered in one of their language translation devices. Just my opinion.

Another device that is very similar (same hardware) is the Aluratek Libre Pro. This unit is currently going for $159 at Costco in Ottawa. It supports the same file types but includes Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) DRM in the form of ePub. It deals with PDF differently in that you can zoom in and out of the form but you can also turn text flow on and off. This re-ranges the text to make it viewable and then re-arranges the embedded pictures after the text. If you want to see the actual layout just turn Text flow off.

It does not have a built in dictionary limited or otherwise. Whatever accessories that can be found for the jetBook will fit the Libre as well.

I would have tried out the Aluratek Libre Pro first as it is easier to return it when purchased at Costco if you decide it isn't what you want.

I am hoping Ectaco will in the near future add ADE ePub support to both units so that we can start purchasing DRM books from other suppliers.

It appears that they are having a problem working out the drm support for the JB even though they had it working on the JB-L from the begining. In my opinion maybe it is an internal memory limitation issue. The JB-L has no dictionary but supports DRM. The JB has their Dictionary but does not support DRM. In both cases there is only approx 112 megs left of user space. I would prefer having less user space and have DRM if that is the case after all there is SDHC support for expanding the user memory.

Last edited by jlg432; 04-13-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: addtional thought
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg432 View Post
...The jetBook-Lite does not support the dictionary.

...The JB-L has no dictionary...
jlg, this is not correct. The JBL does indeed have a dictionary. I have always assumed that its dictionary is the same as that of the jetBook.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #10
cj2010
cj2010 began at the beginning.

Device: JBL
Memory size of JBL

Does anyone know the internal memory size of JBL? 32MB or 64MB? Thanks,
cj2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj2010 View Post
Does anyone know the internal memory size of JBL? 32MB or 64MB? Thanks,
Neither. It's 128 MB.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
cj2010
cj2010 began at the beginning.

Device: JBL
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
Neither. It's 128 MB.
128MB is the internal flash size. I am asking the RAM size. Is it 128MB also? Thanks,
cj2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #13
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj2010 View Post
128MB is the internal flash size. I am asking the RAM size. Is it 128MB also? Thanks,
You know what, I have no idea. I don't think anyone knows.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #14
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
jlg, this is not correct. The JBL does indeed have a dictionary. I have always assumed that its dictionary is the same as that of the jetBook.
yes, jetBook and jetBook-Lite have same dictionaries for all formats
except of PDF.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #15
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Sorry GA Russel but I was under the impression that not only did the JB-L not have mp3 support but that it did not have a dictionary.

Did it have a dictionary from the start or was it added as a firmware update. I thought I read that somewhere in the earlier descriptions that it did not have a dictionary. I thought that was what the "Lite" stood for, after all it is not because of the weight.

Either way I have found the dictionary weak when looking up various words.

I get plenty of misses and I am not referring to words found in SF.

I just feel that they could have put in a stronger Dict and fore go the translation options.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote