Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #16
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kobo app supports Adobe DRM. But nobody with an iPad has bothered to try it to find out i it can be used with other ePub not bought at Kobo.
I doubt it can, the iphone version can't and I can't find any evidence anywhere that it supports anything other than their own books.

The txtr app will when its out but I've no idea when that will be. They might be waiting till they can get an actual machine to test on.

Personally I strip any and all drm from every book I buy. In fact I won't even buy a book if I can't get rid of the drm. I don't ever want to be in in a situation where I can't read my legally purchased books.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post
I doubt it can, the iphone version can't and I can't find any evidence anywhere that it supports anything other than their own books.

The txtr app will when its out but I've no idea when that will be. They might be waiting till they can get an actual machine to test on.

Personally I strip any and all drm from every book I buy. In fact I won't even buy a book if I can't get rid of the drm. I don't ever want to be in in a situation where I can't read my legally purchased books.
Where did you find out that the txtr app was going to be written for the iPad?

The problem right now is that we don't have any good ePub apps. iBook is just so-so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #18
deltop
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Where did you find out that the txtr app was going to be written for the iPad?

The problem right now is that we don't have any good ePub apps. iBook is just so-so.
It was in a blog post by them back in January just after the iPad was announced. They said they would be releasing an iPad verison. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #19
deltop
Zealot

http://translate.google.com/translat...17&sl=de&tl=en

There you go. Translated by Google. Assuming their plans haven't changed we'll have Adept support for the ipad at some point.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #20
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Kobo doesn't seem to have a way to import ePubs at this point. It only appears to download ePub files purchased at their online store. Same with the Kindle.

Basically we just have to wait for someone to write up some reader software that will import 3rd party Adept protected ePub files. Might happen sooner, might happen later. Or, you can do some extra work and strip your ePub files of the Adept protection, searching around on the forums will provide instruction on how to do this. I can say it worked flawlessly for me and my stripped files work just fine in iBooks.

Until one of the other ereader software authors gets around to adding an import function we're stuck with iBooks, or using Stanza in blown-up mode.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #21
shiffy
shiffy doesn't littershiffy doesn't litter

Device: DR800SG
The app does look pretty nice, but I can't see a way to import anything to Kobo either -- it's not accessible in the common files section of iTunes. I sent an e-mail to Kobo support asking if they could add a way to import books and received a response that they would pass on the request to their iPad development team. Perhaps if they receive more requests it may spur them on to add it. While it does not benefit them directly, it could indirectly as I'm sure people would be more likely to buy books from them if they were using the app for books they already owned as well.
shiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post
http://translate.google.com/translat...17&sl=de&tl=en

There you go. Translated by Google. Assuming their plans haven't changed we'll have Adept support for the ipad at some point.
Thanks. Is it out yet?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #23
DaK2
DaK2 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Dak2, did you read my two posts at #9 and #10 above, which answer the questions you've just repeated?

You can use the books you've bought from Sony in Adobe DRM ePub format on almost every other current eReader device, with the notable exceptions of the Kindle and the iPad which have chosen to implement their own DRM rather than accept that the Adobe version has become a de facto standard.

Others in a similar situation have found it useful to use Google and search for "strip Adobe epub DRM". Obviously I can't suggest you do that, as it may involve breaking the law where you reside.

Graham
Graham,

I did read your replies and appreciate them. Thanks.

The PDF books I recently transferred to goodreader are drm free but their format/margins are so terrible that reading them is not enjoyable and there seems to be no way to fix this. And the drm free ePub books that I recently transferred onto the iPad show up in iBooks and open fine but the font is tiny and it can't be changed.
So either way works for bringing the books into the iPad but neither way has an acceptable result to be able to read a book and since my 505 is bricked that's it for my large Sony library.

Can you give me any suggestions where I can buy future books so that they are 100% drm free and can be easily read on any device? LOL, that bookstore probably does not exist.

Thanks again.
DaK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I was conicdering the iPad ain place of a larger screen eink reader given that the iPad can do a lot more. But the problem I'm having with the iPad (at present) is the ePub reading apps so far are not good enough. Kobo might have been good enough but if I cannot use my own content, then forget it.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK2 View Post
Graham,

The PDF books I recently transferred to goodreader are drm free but their format/margins are so terrible that reading them is not enjoyable and there seems to be no way to fix this. And the drm free ePub books that I recently transferred onto the iPad show up in iBooks and open fine but the font is tiny and it can't be changed.
So either way works for bringing the books into the iPad but neither way has an acceptable result to be able to read a book and since my 505 is bricked that's it for my large Sony library.

Can you give me any suggestions where I can buy future books so that they are 100% drm free and can be easily read on any device? LOL, that bookstore probably does not exist.

Thanks again.
Well, if the txtr app was available, you'd be all set.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #26
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK2 View Post
Graham,

Thanks again.
convert the PDF's to rpub in calibre first? using its formatting tools to fix anyu problems.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #27
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Wait for HP Slate

Wait for HP Slate which will be available in June. Its just like iPad but runs Windows 7 instead.

It will run Sony Reader Library. You simply must register your HP Slate with the Sony store.

Apple causes too many problems for those who don't like protection. Best to go with Tablet PC's NOT made by Apple.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #28
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

keep in mind it's running windows 7. lol. you're trading one world of issues for a completely different world of issues.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #29
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree. The current DRM schemes on ebooks is INSANE! When I first came on here a few years back, I thought the abundance of ebook formats were confusing, but now there are multiple DRM schemes for the same format.

Not sure if B&N still sells Epub books but they have their own DRM
Apple has their own DRM for Epub
Then there is Adobe Adept DRM for Epub

I wouldn't blame Sony since they actually opened up their reader so that you can read Epub books offered by other ebook stores, other than those sold by Apple and B&N. I would blame Apple and B&N for creating new DRM schemes that are so far only readable on their devices. To me, it just seems like they aren't confident enough in their hardware that it'll sell itself that these companies have to pull these DRM schemes to lock the consumer in.

Crazy world.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #30
scottjl
Reader of Books

If you look at it, the ebook world is going through the same growing pains as the music industry did a few years ago. Instead of embracing one standard (MP3) we had a few spring up that were propritary to a vendor, everyone wanted to invent and license a better music file. Now, they are all pretty much gone and MP3s remain.

Give it a few years and all these ebook DRM schemes will work themselves out and we'll have a standard (or two). Question is, who's will survive?

At least with tablet style devices like the iPad, moving to a new format is generally as easy as loading another reader app that most anyone can write. Not so easy for firmware updates if you're waiting for the manufacturer to release one vs. trying to sell you a whole new piece of hardware.