Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-16-2008, 04:52 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Differences in "Georgia" fonts

As previously reported, I've just received one of the new Gen3's which (unlike my original one, which was one of the very first batch to ship) came pre-installed with the "Georgia" font.

As it happens, "Georgia" is my favourite book-reading font, and on my previous Gen3 I'd copied the font from my PC.

The version of the font pre-installed on the Gen3, however, has a much narrower line spacing than the PC version - I find that the lines are too close together. I've therefore deleted the pre-installed font and re-copied the font from my PC onto the new Gen3. I far prefer the wider line spacing of the PC version of the font, although it means that you get a couple fewer lines on the screen.

Just thought this might be useful to anyone who's also found the line gaps to be too narrow with the supplied font. I think you get "Georgia" when you install IE7 - it's certainly very commonly found on Windows PCs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MicroSoft stopped distributing them to everyone in 2002, but it is legal to copy the Georgia font for non-commercial use. See Core fonts for the Web.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My PC was only bought last year and it has "Georgia" on it. Must have either come with the PC (a Dell running XP Media Center Edition) or been installed with Office 2007. Either way it's there, and works great on the Gen3. You just need to make sure that you copy all four files in the font family.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As previously reported, I've just received one of the new Gen3's which (unlike my original one, which was one of the very first batch to ship) came pre-installed with the "Georgia" font.

As it happens, "Georgia" is my favourite book-reading font, and on my previous Gen3 I'd copied the font from my PC.

The version of the font pre-installed on the Gen3, however, has a much narrower line spacing than the PC version - I find that the lines are too close together. I've therefore deleted the pre-installed font and re-copied the font from my PC onto the new Gen3. I far prefer the wider line spacing of the PC version of the font, although it means that you get a couple fewer lines on the screen.

Just thought this might be useful to anyone who's also found the line gaps to be too narrow with the supplied font. I think you get "Georgia" when you install IE7 - it's certainly very commonly found on Windows PCs.
I've got Georgia , of course , on my Cybook - I understand what you mean about the line spacings , but interestingly I would prefer them to be even narrower than I've currently got ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Ah well, it takes all sorts to make a world, as they say .
Old 05-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Ah well, it takes all sorts to make a world, as they say .
Now that's a licorice comment to make ..
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Interesting. I don't use Georgia on the Cybook because I noticed that line spacing. It never occurred to me to copy over the version from my PC...but I've done so and it does look lots better. Thanks, Harry!
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
Mayr
Connoisseur
Mayr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3Gs
Where is the Georgia font stored in windows?
Mayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayr View Post
Where is the Georgia font stored in windows?
In "Fonts" folder? But it's hidden, at least on win2000.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:54 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Only by the "Hide system files" setting in Windows Explorer. The first thing I always do on any Windows machine is to turn that off.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Only by the "Hide system files" setting in Windows Explorer. The first thing I always do on any Windows machine is to turn that off.
I usually leave it on. It gets too cluttered in some folders otherwise. And, when you need it, it's easy to turn on/off.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:35 AM   #12
Mayr
Connoisseur
Mayr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3Gs
Thanks, found it.
Mayr is offline   Reply With Quote