Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Is it possible to modify kindle update package to include jailbreak

Recently I've found time to play with my kindle. I begin with extracting the initial updates. Then I mounted rootfs.img and begun "looking what is where". I tried to create a custom directory, and then umounted it. The file stayed there. So my question is whether it is possible to modify amazon update package so it includes modified rootfs with jailbreak already there.
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Of course you can. But how do you plan on signing it with Amazon's signing key?

The whole point of the jailbreak is to get our thirdparty signing key on there, to enable future thirdparty updates packed with KindleTool.

I suppose you could repack the official updates in order to allow easy firmware updates on jailbroken devices... but that problem was already solved via the jailbreak "bridge".
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galunid View Post
... So my question is whether it is possible to modify amazon update package so it includes modified rootfs with jailbreak already there.
It would be possible to package an entire "distro" with the jailbreak, and we could have various flavors of distros (much like linux distros) with an assortment of pre-configured hacks. This is essentially the opposite of what you propose, but effectively the same from an end-user point of view. For most devices that would consist of two steps -- downgrade, then "jailbreak distro install". However, such distros would require regular maintenance and support by the individual distro maintainers (if any). It is much less work to support individual modular hacks packaged as we do now.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-12-2016 at 05:45 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Of course you can. But how do you plan on signing it with Amazon's signing key?

The whole point of the jailbreak is to get our thirdparty signing key on there, to enable future thirdparty updates packed with KindleTool.

I suppose you could repack the official updates in order to allow easy firmware updates on jailbroken devices... but that problem was already solved via the jailbreak "bridge".
Yes, my bad. I missed the whole point

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It would be possible to package an entire "distro" with the jailbreak, and we could have various flavors of distros (much like linux distros) with an assortment of pre-configured hacks. This is essentially the opposite of what you propose, but effectively the same from an end-user point of view. For most devices that would consist of two steps -- downgrade, then "jailbreak distro install". However, such distros would require regular maintenance and support by the individual distro maintainers (if any). It is much less work to support individual modular hacks packaged as we do now.
Still. Wouldn't be it a good idea, to create update package for example to fw 5.6.5 with most basic packages(rescue pack, coward rescue pack, usbnetwork)?
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - -
Still. Wouldn't be it a good idea, to create update package for example to fw 5.6.5 with most basic packages(rescue pack, coward rescue pack, usbnetwork)?
No it would not.

What one person considers 'basic' may not match what the next person considers 'basic'.

So if you have 12 possibly 'basic' add-ins, then you end up with 2^12 different combinations to maintain.

The way it stands now, each person puts everything they want into /mrpackages and run MrPI one time to install everything.
Perhaps you missed the point that MrPI is a "Batch" installer.

Not significantly different than running one 'master update' installer package.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Yes, my bad. I missed the whole point

A package would have to be created for each Kindle device. What about the ones that can't accept 5.6.5? Now we have multiple firmware packages for different devices, and different versions, and if we're doing 5.7.4 (or whatever version number is "best") for the KT3 and KOA, why not do it for the Voyage and the PW3, too?

What happens if a person's Kindle updates to a new version? Is there going to be some sort of update blocker built in to the custom firmware as well?

These are just the questions off the top of my head...

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Are you willing to put in the time to answer all the questions?
And there will be dozens at least.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote