Device: Kobo Arc
Maybe by modifying the JellyBean update.zip
KillerDid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #122
EricG
Enthusiast
EricG began at the beginning.

I read the procedure in the downgrade to ICS thread. If there is no security certificate in update.zip, we can make any changes, like rooting the Arc.

I was reading up on my HTC One V, and anyone can unlock the bootloader and install anything.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #123
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Kobo Arc 32Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerDid View Post
Maybe by modifying the JellyBean update.zip
I asked him through PM, but he (unfortunately) did not answer !...
Dangze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #124
KillerDid
KillerDid began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
I read the procedure in the downgrade to ICS thread. If there is no security certificate in update.zip, we can make any changes, like rooting the Arc.

I was reading up on my HTC One V, and anyone can unlock the bootloader and install anything.
Unfortunately, the update.zip contains 2 files CERT.RSA and CERT.SF that seem to be signature files...
KillerDid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #125
xenupuppy
xenupuppy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
Does anyone have a link to update.zip? I looked through the thread but didn't see it. Thx, xp
xenupuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #126
sonner
sonner began at the beginning.

Device: arc
Hello

I would like to connect my arc to my canon 7D dslr camera. Is it possible ? does the arc support the USB OTG ? is there a workarround when it doesn't?
thanks for your support
sonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #127
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonner View Post
Hello

I would like to connect my arc to my canon 7D dslr camera. Is it possible ? does the arc support the USB OTG ? is there a workarround when it doesn't?
thanks for your support
Any link with the subject (The Jelly Bean has landed) ? I don't think so !
So please open other thread...
Regards.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #128
sonner
sonner began at the beginning.

Device: arc
Ai sorry wrong thread :-(
sonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #129
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangze View Post
Any link with the subject (The Jelly Bean has landed) ? I don't think so !
So please open other thread...
Regards.
Sorry to disagree mate but USB OTG has been enabled on some devices via the Jelly Bean update, my HTC One X being one of them and it was my hope that OTG would be enabled via the JB update on the arc. So asking about OTG capability in this thread IMHO is legit.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #130
EricG
Enthusiast
EricG began at the beginning.

USB OTG was discussed long before this thread. The controller is not host capable.

The ICS downgrade thread links to ICS update.zip.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #131
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
No worries. I can say the main reason for the nav being in the middle is because of google now. Swiping up from the home icon opens it.

There is a LOT of time and effort involved in such a change. I wish i could get into specifics.
Rooted my Arc today and changed ro.sf.lcd_density in /system/build.prop from 213 to 170, getting back the tablet UI. Less than a minute of work, not including a reboot.

Google Now is tied to the button itself, not the position of the button - it is now actually easier and more comfortable to run Google Now because I can do it with my thumb.

(Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I feel it had to be said. Now to find out why the stock Browser ignores the /system/etc/hosts file while Firefox & Chrome obey it...)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #132
Dangze
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
...changed ro.sf.lcd_density in /system/build.prop from 213 to 170, getting back the tablet UI.
Hello,

which "file editor" did you use to do that ?...

Thanks a lot !

Last edited by Dangze; 08-24-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #133
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
I just used the internal text editor in ES File Explorer (have to have your Arc rooted, as described in another thread, and use the Tools -> Root Manager option in ES to get root access and set the /system partition to RW permissions beforehand, making sure to set it back to RO when you're done. Then you can select the build.prop file select the ES text editor option, choose Edit File or whatever from the upper-right menu, make your changes, hitting the arrow in the upper-left corner to save the file).

Unfortunately, changing the ro.sf.lcd_density can affect performance, causing screen lag, but it's something we have to put up with in order to get the proper UI back since we can't change the source-level settings that determines which UIs to use at which pixel densities (a change that would take less than a minute for Kobo to do the next time they recompile the kernel for an update, if they ever do any more updates, anyways - maybe 10 minutes if they wanted to code in a toggle to place in the settings to change it).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #134
Dangze
Enthusiast

Quote:
I just used the internal text editor in ES File Explorer (have to have your Arc rooted, as described in another thread, and use the Tools -> Root Manager option in ES to get root access and set the /system partition to RW permissions beforehand, making sure to set it back to RO when you're done. Then you can select the build.prop file select the ES text editor option, choose Edit File or whatever from the upper-right menu, make your changes, hitting the arrow in the upper-left corner to save the file).

Unfortunately, changing the ro.sf.lcd_density can affect performance, causing screen lag, but it's something we have to put up with in order to get the proper UI back since we can't change the source-level settings that determines which UIs to use at which pixel densities (a change that would take less than a minute for Kobo to do the next time they recompile the kernel for an update, if they ever do any more updates, anyways - maybe 10 minutes if they wanted to code in a toggle to place in the settings to change it).
Thank you very much !

I hope Kobo-Robin is reading this thread and will be inspired by it... Thanks to him as well !!!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #135
Dangze
Enthusiast

Quote:

I have finally rooted my Arc and give a try to the ro.sf.lcd_density change (by the way, there are two identical lines in the file, the one to modify is the first one...). Is the 170 value the only one to use, or can we try different values ? If not, how is this value determined ?...
Any explanation on this would be appreciated for my "personnal culture"...
Thanks a lot !