Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #31
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Do you have any corroboration? I see the player market as a niche nowadays, with dwindling sales. I'm not certain Samsung or anybody else would want to spend too much R&D on those.
I must confess almost each day, I search Google (last 24 hours) for new info on Lindsay Lohan -my favorite bad girl, on Tim Tebow -my favorite homeless quarterback, and on Chromebook -an idea whose time is coming, but not new Samsung players. I should add new Samsung players to that list because the WiFi on my used Droid I stopped Friday afternoon while at the doctor.

forsooth's reasoning seems sound.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #32
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Do you have any corroboration? I see the player market as a niche nowadays, with dwindling sales. I'm not certain Samsung or anybody else would want to spend too much R&D on those.
answer: no confirming assay yet

point: not expect Samsung to leave market "niche" to iPod touch
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #33
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
new Samsung players on market before summer
for beach for vacation for travel

Samsung will compete with Apple iPod touch
iPod improved so Samsung will catch up
Not going to happen. Check anythingbutipod forums, users there have spoken with Samsung, no more players due to smartphone market!.... Even tho they won't go further than gingerbread, still the best small tabs out there.

Only new Tablets coming in the fall.

Factory Refurbs being sold for the SGP 4.2, and SGP 5.0 both on Amazon and eBay vendors Newegg & BigOutlet. Don't even think you'll see many new iTouch models either.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #34
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
Not going to happen. Check anythingbutipod forums, users there have spoken with Samsung, no more players due to smartphone market!.... Even tho they won't go further than gingerbread, still the best small tabs out there.

Only new Tablets coming in the fall.

Factory Refurbs being sold for the SGP 4.2, and SGP 5.0 both on Amazon and eBay vendors Newegg & BigOutlet. Don't even think you'll see many new iTouch models either.
I don't see "everyone" buying a Smartphone for several good reasons so I think players are still a market.

Maybe Archos will bring out a new model. The Archos 43 is pretty good but is getting old like the Samsung Players.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #35
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I don't see "everyone" buying a Smartphone for several good reasons so I think players are still a market.

Maybe Archos will bring out a new model. The Archos 43 is pretty good but is getting old like the Samsung Players.
Earlier Samsung was using its left over or extra parts and production capacity to produce Galaxy players. But now they have shifted to producing low to mid tier phones targeting the Asian market using those same parts as they expect better sales for those. Almost every week we are getting info on new large screen mid tier phones from Samsung so I have a feeling Samsung Galaxy players are dead. Few people are going to buy a $200-300 for a purely a media player compared to a smartphone that can also be a media player. Just yesterday their was a leak about a new galaxy phones named Samsung Galaxy Mega.
With the Galaxy phones selling so well Samsung has been able utilize its production despite apple using it less and less. Maybe once Apple completely stops using Samsung they might start producing Galaxy players again but I doubt it as its a dying market they would be better of targeting smartphones. With newer smartphones having bigger batteries and screens players are becoming irrelevant. Apple is unlikely to stop producing iPods as its a good way for it to get children hooked into its iOS ecosystem and iPhone being the natural progression for them. So for Apple to keep producing and upgrading iPod is a good strategy not so for Samsung.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #36
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Earlier Samsung was using its left over or extra parts and production capacity to produce Galaxy players. But now they have shifted to producing low to mid tier phones targeting the Asian market using those same parts as they expect better sales for those. Almost every week we are getting info on new large screen mid tier phones from Samsung so I have a feeling Samsung Galaxy players are dead. Few people are going to buy a $200-300 for a purely a media player compared to a smartphone that can also be a media player. Just yesterday their was a leak about a new galaxy phones named Samsung Galaxy Mega.
With the Galaxy phones selling so well Samsung has been able utilize its production despite apple using it less and less. Maybe once Apple completely stops using Samsung they might start producing Galaxy players again but I doubt it as its a dying market they would be better of targeting smartphones. With newer smartphones having bigger batteries and screens players are becoming irrelevant. Apple is unlikely to stop producing iPods as its a good way for it to get children hooked into its iOS ecosystem and iPhone being the natural progression for them. So for Apple to keep producing and upgrading iPod is a good strategy not so for Samsung.
I am going to have to take you on.

1. You neglect the total cost of a smartphone which includes not only the cellular part but the cost of a phone/data package. Somewhere between $1000 to $2000 or more per year.
$150 to $300 for a player is still less than $400 to $600 for a unlocked smartphone that is not used as a phone.

2. You assume only Apple is thinking about bringing the children up in an operating system and a particular market. Do you think no one over at Samsung or Google or another android operating system will think of that.

3. And finally, you are thinking that with no more unneeded parts to throw into players, why should Samsung or anyone bother to manufacture some parts for their android players. While of course Apple will do this.

Man, that is a real stretch!

(Personally, I think you just fell off the dock.)
Old 04-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #37
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I am going to have to take you on.

1. You neglect the total cost of a smartphone which includes not only the cellular part but the cost of a phone/data package. Somewhere between $1000 to $2000 or more per year.
$150 to $300 for a player is still less than $400 to $600 for a unlocked smartphone that is not used as a phone.

2. You assume only Apple is thinking about bringing the children up in an operating system and a particular market. Do you think no one over at Samsung or Google or another android operating system will think of that.

3. And finally, you are thinking that with no more unneeded parts to throw into players, why should Samsung or anyone bother to manufacture some parts for their android players. While of course Apple will do this.

Man, that is a real stretch!

(Personally, I think you just fell off the dock.)
Apple is not a manufacturer it just orders part it requires where as Samsung needs to keep running its manufacturing plants as stopping and restarting many of them would cost lot more instead of just producing and selling or using the parts.
You Americans think you are the only ones that exist in this world. What $1000-2000 phone plans. Most people in asia use prepaid cards instead of lines and transfer media to each other by bluetooth wifi or using cables. Majority dont have access to 3g let alone 4g. And to them buying a $200-300 phone that can play media is the same as a galaxy player just they have the added functionality of having a phone. So like I said Samsung is unlikely to make these players as they could use the parts manufacturing capacity on smartphones for Asia.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:24 AM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Few people are going to buy a $200-300 for a purely a media player compared to a smartphone that can also be a media player.
Where can you get a $200 unlocked smartphone in the US with the same specs and feature set as a Galaxy Player 4 or 5?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #39
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Apple is not a manufacturer it just orders part it requires where as Samsung needs to keep running its manufacturing plants as stopping and restarting many of them would cost lot more instead of just producing and selling or using the parts.
I am sorry, but you don't seem to realize that any losses a manufacturer suffers because of starting or restarting is just passed on to the customer. If this wasn't so, the manufacturer would go out of business. Point being that Apple is paying for those costs whether it is Samsung or someone else making the parts.

My business is designing and installing control and manufacturing systems on a contract basis for manufacturers. I charge for my efforts and the manufacturer charges for its production and eventually the company whose name is on the product charges enough to the customers to pay us all.

Sure we might pick up a dollar on some redundancy that can be reused or resold and that is factored in. It means that on the next job, we can charge a little less in order to succeed on the bid.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #40
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Where can you get a $200 unlocked smartphone in the US with the same specs and feature set as a Galaxy Player 4 or 5?
On Amazon, Newegg, ebay, etc. Heck, for an extra $100, there's the Nexus 4 if you want a high-end phone and don't require a microSD slot or HDMI out. The cellphone market isn't the same as it was before. What was considered high-end in 2010/11 can now be had for $150-250 without contract. Heck, the really low-end Android smartphones, you can now get for $60 or so without contract.

Quote:
Not anymore. While that used to be the case, there are now plenty of prepaid options available. Heck, I've got a Galaxy Nexus on a 10 cent/minute plan (as low as $100/year). If I don't need cellphone service, then I can just opt not to install a SIM card. Phone still works and battery life is longer in airplane mode.

Quote:
Because Apple has the cachet to sell $200-500 iPods since their latest generation smart phones cost $650+ unlocked. Meanwhile, Samsung, et al. also sell $150 smartphones so for them, that's less reason to manufacture a separate player which probably saves them at most $10.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-09-2013 at 12:08 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
On Amazon, Newegg, ebay, etc. Heck, for an extra $100, there's the Nexus 4 if you want a high-end phone and don't require a microSD slot or HDMI out. The cellphone market isn't the same as it was before. What was considered high-end in 2010/11 can now be had for $150-250 without contract. Heck, the really low-end Android smartphones, you can now get for $60 or so without contract.
As in? The ones I'm finding have slow processors, small displays, and low resolutions. And the really low priced ones are still using Gingerbread. Besides, I'm no longer in the market for two-year-old technology.

At the time I got my Galaxy Player 4, it was the best value for the specs and features it offered. No iPod or smartphone could match it at that price.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #42
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
But for comparable specs, something which also functions as a phone will cost considerably more than something that doesn't.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #43
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
As in? The ones I'm finding have slow processors, small displays, and low resolutions. And the really low priced ones are still using Gingerbread. Besides, I'm no longer in the market for two-year-old technology.
You were asking about something comparable to the Galaxy Player and at $200, nowadays, there are plenty of smartphones around the same level. I've seen the Samsung Captivate (AT&T's version of the Galaxy S) sell for around $150-200.

If you want something better, off the top of my head, Sony Xperia Sola (~$250, ICS update available) or Samsung Galaxy S Advance (~$250, JB update available). Both are dual-core. Pixel density isn't as good as the latest generation iPod Touch but then again, these are cheaper. At the same price as the newest iPod Touch ($300), there's the Nexus 4 (if you don't need microSD). If you monitor deal sites, you might catch some pretty good bargains. I got my Sony Xperia Acro S for $300 from Buy.com/Rakuten. It's got a 1280x720 4.3" (342 ppi) display, dual-core 1.5GHz Scorpion, 1GB RAM, 16GB internal memory, microSD slot, HDMI out and IP57 rating.

Quote:
At the time I got my Galaxy Player 4, it was the best value for the specs and features it offered. No iPod or smartphone could match it at that price.
I think back when the Galaxy Players were released, the tech was already more than a year old (I think probably around 18 months or something). Dual-core phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S II have already been released. However, pricing on the older gen Galaxy S and Nexus S was still at around $300-400.

The Galaxy Player 4 was released to compete with the 4th gen iPod Touch. They're pretty evenly matched performance/hardware- and price-wise. The primary advantage of the Galaxy are the microSD slot and camera. The iPod Touch still wins in terms of pixel density, though.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
You were asking about something comparable to the Galaxy Player and at $200, nowadays, there are plenty of smartphones around the same level. I've seen the Samsung Captivate (AT&T's version of the Galaxy S) sell for around $150-200.
Sorry for the confusion. I meant at the time the Galaxy Players were introduced.

Quote:
The Galaxy Player 4 was released to compete with the 4th gen iPod Touch. They're pretty evenly matched performance/hardware- and price-wise. The primary advantage of the Galaxy are the microSD slot and camera. The iPod Touch still wins in terms of pixel density, though.
Pixel density (326ppi vs 233ppi) was the only spec the iPt4 beat the SGP4 on. Even so, it isn't noticeable to me for most uses. Outside of that, the SGP4 is faster, has more RAM and a better camera. It also has features lacking in the iPt4: GPS, compass, FM radio, and mSD. The one major advantage the iPod has over the Galaxy is OS upgrades. My iPt4 is running the most current version of iOS, while my SGP4 is five upgrades behind. That's extremely pathetic.

Because Apple and Samsung both skimp on the specs and features of their media players, I'm ready to move on. As soon as Google doubles the storage of their Nexus phone, I'll consider getting one to replace my SGP4. At this point in time, I want my portable internet devices (4"~7") to have the latest OS; and that means Nexus.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #45
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Well, ilovejedd certainly knows how to bargain shop, but I am not convinced.

I started this discussion by lamenting that I wanted a new Samsung Galaxy Player with a better screen that the 800x480s being offered whether on a 3.6" or a 5.3" Galaxy Player.

Something approaching the iPod Touch though as usual more Android inexpensive.

She has found a few ex-cellphones that would not be too shabby, as I did with a Droid I which I got from eBay for $36 (all inclusive costs). Look up "cheap-phones.com" to find a variety.

Now Samsung has just brought out a "mid range" cellphone, the Win. quad cpu, 4.1 Android, but only 800x480 pixels which is exactly what the last Players offered have. NOT WHAT I WANT.

I don't need a fast video player. I want a relatively dense screen of a fairly large size, say approximately 4.5" to 5" at $200, that I can browse and do email with WiFi for free in half a million places in the USA.

I have seen the new 4" iPods Touches and they are beautiful, but they are in the Apple black hole system. Way too expensive. "Enter iTunes at your own risk never to escape."