Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejojohan View Post
No, I knew that it was a demo model beforehand, and it still does have the "Not for sale" writing on it. Don't know how the seller got it, but he was selling a few of them. It is in pristine condition, but only operates in demo mode.
How do you know if the seller got it legally or not?

Last edited by tubemonkey; 06-15-2012 at 04:47 AM. Reason: left bout the word "know"
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:57 AM   #17
mikoff
mikoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile

Do you have any news?
I have bought Demo DX also and i want to reprogram it via serial port. Are you succeded with it?
THe main problem is to obtain valid serial number for global wireless
mikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
These were demo models and were purchased as a lot. Once the store no longer sells items that their demo units represent, they are sent to their distribution centers, where they are in turn sold to clearing houses and are auctioned off in lots. The "Not for Sale" label is meant for the retail customer, and not to bulk purchasers of auction goods.
Very true, but I would suggest that reflashing this device with the normal Kindle ROM image would be copyright infringement, given that the unit you've purchased isn't licensed to run that firmware.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #19
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very true, but I would suggest that reflashing this device with the normal Kindle ROM image would be copyright infringement, given that the unit you've purchased isn't licensed to run that firmware.
Flashing a firmware image to a device that you own is considered "fair use" in many countries. Public distribution of that image without permission from the copyright holder IS copyright infringement.

In general (where I live) you can copy anything for your own use, but you cannot sell or distribute your copy. It gets complicated with encrypted stuff, because cracking the encryption to modify the image can violate the DMCA, but using an unmodified encrypted image is okay (as long as you do not distribute copies of it).

The kindle images are not encrypted, so for personal use you can modify them and use them on your own devices.

The "legal" way is to copy an image from another device that you own (or borrow a donor device from a friend). I did that to debrick one of my K4s with an image from my other K4. I had problems registering it with amazon, but a tech at amazon registered it for me (which somehow made the special offers go away).

The only problem I see with that on your demo DX is the serial number may be registered at amazon as a demo device, and that serial number may not be allowed to use 3G until you register it. Registering it may require technical assistance from amazon. You may need to "talk nice" to the amazon tech to achieve success.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-15-2012 at 11:02 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Flashing a firmware image to a device that you own is considered "fair use" in many countries. Public distribution of that image without permission from the copyright holder IS copyright infringement.
I think you misunderstand me. I don't think there's the slightest issue with reflashing the firmware on a Kindle that you've bought in the normal way. It may perhaps be a technical copyright violation to download a ROM image from somewhere, but only the most anal of people would regard it as "wrong".

Where the issue lies here is that a Demo Kindle has never been licensed to run the retail firmware. Does the buyer have the legal right to install the retail firmware on it? It's a grey area, at best. It may very well not be legal to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #21
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think you misunderstand me. I don't think there's the slightest issue with reflashing the firmware on a Kindle that you've bought in the normal way. It may perhaps be a technical copyright violation to download a ROM image from somewhere, but only the most anal of people would regard it as "wrong".

Where the issue lies here is that a Demo Kindle has never been licensed to run the retail firmware. Does the buyer have the legal right to install the retail firmware on it? It's a grey area, at best. It may very well not be legal to do so.
It is not so much the kindle HARDWARE that is at issue, but the kindle SERIAL NUMBER registered with amazon. That serial number may or may not be allowed to access the 3G network. If it does not work, you may be able to convince an amazon tech to register it for you, perhaps after paying an "upgrade fee". Because you can change the serial number (stored in flash), you could swap serial numbers with one from a broken kindle.

Another possible problem is that demo units sometimes contain defective hardware that is not used by the demo software. They need to do SOMETHING with factory rejects, after all... And the 3G modem card may be missing as well. You may need to remove the back cover to check.

P.S. I have noticed that some recent store demo eInk readers (Kindle Touch and Nook Simple Touch) do not even have an eInk display in them. They just have a sample screen printed on PAPER mounted behind the glass display surface.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-15-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #22
petejojohan
petejojohan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
You're right. Any ideas on how I can get Duokan up and running without accessing the Kindle to complete the install?
petejojohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #23
petejojohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoff View Post
Do you have any news?
I have bought Demo DX also and i want to reprogram it via serial port. Are you succeded with it?
THe main problem is to obtain valid serial number for global wireless
I'm not interested in making this demo model fully functional. All I want is to get it to read PDF files, no wireless, no 3G, no Amazon/Kindle account. I just received Michael Hart's (inventor of the e-book in 1971, and founder of The Gutenberg Project - passed away recently) Kindle DX this morning, so I don't need another fully functional DX. I'll be working on the demo DX this weekend, and let you know about my progress, if any...
Old 06-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #24
muscleman
muscleman began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I'm not interested in making this demo model fully functional. All I want is to get it to read PDF files, no wireless, no 3G, no Amazon/Kindle account. I just received Michael Hart's (inventor of the e-book in 1971, and founder of The Gutenberg Project - passed away recently) Kindle DX this morning, so I don't need another fully functional DX. I'll be working on the demo DX this weekend, and let you know about my progress, if any...
Thanks a lot! Please let me know.
I already have a 7" kindle, and found it very inconvenient to read pdf files.
All I need is a kindle dx that reads pdf files, so I am currently considering the same thing as you do, which is to get a demo kindle dx just working for pdf files.
I am wondering if we can just install jailbreak or duokan to make it work?
muscleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #25
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleman View Post
Thanks a lot! Please let me know.
I already have a 7" kindle, and found it very inconvenient to read pdf files.
All I need is a kindle dx that reads pdf files, so I am currently considering the same thing as you do, which is to get a demo kindle dx just working for pdf files.
I am wondering if we can just install jailbreak or duokan to make it work?
The normal installation programs require that you see the DX as a USB device to load the installers onto it.

You may need to use the serial port to export the USB drive.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #26
mikoff

Any news?
Guys, did you tried to connect to 3g using Demo Kindle? On my Kindle Demo 3g works flawless.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #27
geekmaster

Quote:
Any news?
Guys, did you tried to connect to 3g using Demo Kindle? On my Kindle Demo 3g works flawless.
That means that the demo models did not remove the 3g modem card from its socket. That is good news for demo owners.

It also means that you should be able to install a normal firmware image (plus the kernel image, if needed), using the serial port with ymodem protocol. See the "seaniko7 unbricking" youtube video (linked in the Dev Corner master index sticky) to see how to do this.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #28
mikoff

Thank you.
Did you mean this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OCpJbkGb7M
It`s for kindle 3, not for dx.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #29
geekmaster

Quote:
Thank you.
Did you mean this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OCpJbkGb7M
It`s for kindle 3, not for dx.
DX should work the same way as K3, but you need a DX firmware image instead of K3. The different serial connector location and pinout is shown in Dev corner / master index / DX index.

Before the "simple debricking" method was developed for K4 and K5, the serial port was the ONLY way to debrick or flash kindle firmware backups (even for the K4 and K5).

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-16-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #30
petejojohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
DX should work the same way as K3, but you need a DX firmware image instead of K3. The different serial connector location and pinout is shown in Dev corner / master index / DX index.

Before the "simple debricking" method was developed for K4 and K5, the serial port was the ONLY way to debrick or flash kindle firmware backups (even for the K4 and K5).
The video shows that two ports are used for the Kindle Keyboard to unbrick it (the USB port and the port that powers the light). Do you know if the Kindle DX have two ports too? If not, can everything be done using just the USB port?