Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #16
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesssky View Post
The process you just described sounds a bit complicated to me. What do you mean by changing it's attributes? Can I just remove the APK file from the system to other places (like backing it up), and later paste back the file to the system if anything goes wrong? I mean, can the process be reversed? And also, where's that APK file? I try to search it in Total Commander using the word Latin but nothing comes up so far.
You asking questions to which I do not have an exact answers and I do not want to mislead you.

Minimal root you have had before did exactly what I described. You could learn what EXACTLY was done by looking at its /sdcard/tmp/do_update.sh. It moved /system/apps/EbookLatinIME4Ebook.apk to /data/apps/EbookLatinIME4Ebook.apk and made sure that it is not read-only, essentially converting system app into simple app, but keeping it around. You probably could achieve the same in a different way - but as I already said, you are on your own, sorry. If it sounds complicated to you - it probably is
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:52 AM   #17
spotlesssky
spotlesssky began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
You asking questions to which I do not have an exact answers and I do not want to mislead you.

Minimal root you have had before did exactly what I described. You could learn what EXACTLY was done by looking at its /sdcard/tmp/do_update.sh. It moved /system/apps/EbookLatinIME4Ebook.apk to /data/apps/EbookLatinIME4Ebook.apk and made sure that it is not read-only, essentially converting system app into simple app, but keeping it around. You probably could achieve the same in a different way - but as I already said, you are on your own, sorry. If it sounds complicated to you - it probably is
Guess I better not to touch it then... couldn't afford to brick it
thanks for your answering rupor.
spotlesssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #18
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Guess I better not to touch it then... couldn't afford to brick it
It is really hard (nearly impossible) to brick reader this way - but you should be ready to apply restoration image or recovery SD...
Old 06-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #19
Leeward
Leeward began at the beginning.

Device: NookSTG, Kobo Aura 2 H20 Version 2
Hi rupor,

I did a rescue.. then firmware upgrade to 1.05, then rerooted with your AMR minimal and Apps2SD.

For some reason SuperUser won't allow total commander to have su access.

I installed ES File Explorer to see if Superuser would then ask if I wanted to allow the new app, su rights. no luck.

I also followed the linked instructions on how to remount the volume with totalcommander.... still no luck.. total command has been denied superuser permissions.

Thanks for any advice !
Leeward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
rupor
meat popsicle

Leeward
It takes you more time to type a message than to read TC settings and see a setting which allows TC to request su permissions everywhere... It is off by default
Old 06-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #21
robyshot
Enthusiast
robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Prs T1
@Leeward
it happened to me too, i just unistalled and reinstalled the apps that needed superuser
robyshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #22
Leeward

Quote:
Leeward
It takes you more time to type a message than to read TC settings and see a setting which allows TC to request su permissions everywhere... It is off by default

I DID read and check the settings in total commander.

When I enabled "root functions everywhere" it gave the error "You Do not have root access on this device"

In addition, the log screen for superuser showed that it blocked totalcommander at the exact time I tried to enable "root functions everywhere"

Even tried setting superuser's to default to "allow"

As a last resort, I even tried "clear data" under Settings-->Manage Applications->>superuser

Update: uninstalled/reinstalled total commander... still getting the "You Do not have root access on this device" error

Last edited by Leeward; 06-13-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #23
rupor
meat popsicle

Try killing/stopping Superuser application (using Settings->Manage Applications) and then opening TC again - this used to help with Root Explorer.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #24
spotlesssky

Quote:
It is really hard (nearly impossible) to brick reader this way - but you should be ready to apply restoration image or recovery SD...
I try to change the apk and odex files' permission to r-w-x for owner... then I delete them (after backing up both files), but the system says I cannot do so and pops up an error message "Unable to chmod /system/appEbookLatinME4Ebook.apk: Read only file system". I guess I'm not doing it in the right way. So how can I delete both files?

Last edited by spotlesssky; 06-13-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #25
rupor
meat popsicle

Bu remounting system partition from ro to rw.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #26
spotlesssky

Quote:
Bu remounting system partition from ro to rw.
I try changing the properties of the system folder and the app folder inside it (to put all the tick in every check box available), but again the execution is denied...
Old 06-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #27
Leeward

Quote:
Try killing/stopping Superuser application (using Settings->Manage Applications) and then opening TC again - this used to help with Root Explorer.
Hello rupor,

Tried that... didn't work.

Thanks for all your efforts, both helping and creating your root package.

See my post in uboot's 1.04 rescue thread for current status.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=11

Thanks again !
Old 06-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #28
Leeward

Quote:
I try changing the properties of the system folder and the app folder inside it (to put all the tick in every check box available), but again the execution is denied...
Remounting a partition as RW, is different than changing file permissions on individual folders.

Rupor's post earlier in this thread had this link:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/07...r-for-android/

Last edited by Leeward; 06-15-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #29
Leeward

rupor,

I'm happy to report, that restoring with uboot's new alternative 1.04 SD porkupan rescue, and installing your root package worked correctly.
Superuser works correctly, Totalcommander can be enabled for root access etc.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #30
spotlesssky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeward View Post
Remounting a partition as RW, is different than changing file permissions on individual folders.

Rupor's post earlier in this thread had this link:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/07...r-for-android/
Thanks a lot!!
Finally everything's done and I'm very satisfied with the T1's current state.
Thanks both rupor and Leeward!!