Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #316
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Security I'm fine with, it's... < *severely* bites tongue >
Hi Sharkus - wondered if you could shed any light on a curious blip. When I opened the Kobo app on my iPhone this afternoon, I rather bizarrely received the 'highly decorated' award, in spite of only having 18 awards (17 on iOS and the Vox-specific 'eReading Rainbow'). Any ideas?
Thank you
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #317
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronpaterson View Post
Hi Sharkus - wondered if you could shed any light on a curious blip. When I opened the Kobo app on my iPhone this afternoon, I rather bizarrely received the 'highly decorated' award, in spite of only having 18 awards (17 on iOS and the Vox-specific 'eReading Rainbow'). Any ideas?
Thank you
I should quickly add that the 18 includes 'highly decorated'...
Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #318
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Anyone else? I was sure the 'Highly Decorated' award for receiving 20 trophies - the icon certainly suggests that! I have noticed this kind of issue before - if you start up the iOS app after mainly using other Kobo platforms for a while, it often pings out awards that you weren't aware you'd earned...
Old 03-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #319
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad / iPhone / Kobo Touch
Quote:
Anyone else? I was sure the 'Highly Decorated' award for receiving 20 trophies - the icon certainly suggests that! I have noticed this kind of issue before - if you start up the iOS app after mainly using other Kobo platforms for a while, it often pings out awards that you weren't aware you'd earned...
The only thing I can think of is that perhaps it's counting awards you've earned on both iOS and Vox as separate awards and adding up to 20 or more. That shouldn't happen though… I'll see if I can find someone to look into it.
lessthanyouthink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #320
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthanyouthink View Post
The only thing I can think of is that perhaps it's counting awards you've earned on both iOS and Vox as separate awards and adding up to 20 or more. That shouldn't happen though… I'll see if I can find someone to look into it.
Thanks lessthanyouthink I'm not of course suggesting this is an earth-shattering issue but as I enjoy collecting RL awards I'd like to earn them properly. If resetting all my RL awards is the only way to fix this apparent glitch, I wouldn't mind hugely as that means I could earn them all again
Old 03-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #321
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Just as a quick footnote to my post above: is it possible to reset the reading life awards for a particular account? Should I bother opening a support ticket?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #322
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad / iPhone / Kobo Touch
Quote:
Just as a quick footnote to my post above: is it possible to reset the reading life awards for a particular account? Should I bother opening a support ticket?
It's probably *technically* possible, but I don't think there's any system in place to do it…
lessthanyouthink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #323
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Quote:
It's probably *technically* possible, but I don't think there's any system in place to do it…
So the only option would be to create a whole new account and have my library transferred over? Probably not worth it at this stage. I already have 19 awards (18 on iOS plus the eReading Rainbow on my Vox), so I guess I'll get the 20th soon enough. I suppose I effectively just got the 'highly decorated' award in advance! I might look at setting up another account when I start running out of awards to earn. But still, it would be good if your coding wizards could look at zapping whatever glitch caused the issue.
Meanwhile, I was rather intrigued by a reading life notification I received this afternoon: it appeared to be a a new award, but with no actual (current) award attached. It was called 'gimme a quarter' and popped up quietly with when I hit the 25 per cent mark on the book I am currently reading. The wording of the notification sounded quite similar to current awards
Old 03-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #324
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Quote:
I'm really sorry about that, foxfire. We submitted an iOS app update that fixes this issue over a month ago, and are sadly still waiting on Apple's approval before it goes out into the store. There's a thread about the issue here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171986
More than a week later and we're *still* waiting for it! I am beginning to wonder if Apple hasn't rejected this update for some reason...
Old 03-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #325
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Status changed to "In Review" last night, so there is some movement. Given the new iPad launch, I suspect they are somewhat busy with many, many devs submitting apps with new graphics to take advantage of the retina display.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #326
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Status changed to "In Review" last night, so there is some movement. Given the new iPad launch, I suspect they are somewhat busy with many, many devs submitting apps with new graphics to take advantage of the retina display.
A bit off topic but will older iPads be able to use the apps designed for the 'new' iPad? Or is this the front end of a schism in the iPad universe?
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #327
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
A bit off topic but will older iPads be able to use the apps designed for the 'new' iPad? Or is this the front end of a schism in the iPad universe?
It should be identical to the situation when the iPhone 4 came out. An app can have retina and non retina assets (images). If the app detects it's on a retina display it will use those assets (typically they have @2x in the filename so it knows to use the hi-res versions).

Of course a developer could potentially release an app that is retina only, I cannot think of any such apps though.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #328
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
It should be identical to the situation when the iPhone 4 came out. An app can have retina and non retina assets (images). If the app detects it's on a retina display it will use those assets (typically they have @2x in the filename so it knows to use the hi-res versions).

Of course a developer could potentially release an app that is retina only, I cannot think of any such apps though.
Ah, so all apps that get 'upgraded' to also use the retina display will become larger. I guess that means if you had pretty much filled your memory on the iPad you may not be able to fit all the apps you used to have. Nasty side effect.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #329
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
Ah, so all apps that get 'upgraded' to also use the retina display will become larger. I guess that means if you had pretty much filled your memory on the iPad you may not be able to fit all the apps you used to have. Nasty side effect.
In theory, yes, they could become larger. That is probably part of the reason why Apple increased the cellular data download limit from 20MB to 50MB. It does also depend on how the images are drawn. You can programatically draw things, meaning it is done in code, rather than with a png / jpeg file, and that will not have the same size differential, code will be smaller.

Trying to rewrite your complete app to do this is not a small undertaking however.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #330
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
More than a week later and we're *still* waiting for it! I am beginning to wonder if Apple hasn't rejected this update for some reason...
*cough* Check the App Store *cough*

Tags
awards, reading life, touch