Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-23-2006, 04:55 PM   #31
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg
I change from keyboard to writepad (and back) to force a screen update.

(Another way would be for the software to monitor if something has changed and then force the update.)
Its even easier to click on the page number to get a screen update, but i am lazy
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:11 AM   #32
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
mrxvt + argument

I found some time to start tampering with my iLiads guts and changed scotty's mrxvt-bundle a little to pass the first line of the description-field as argument(s) to mrxvt. It might be of use for somebody else, so here it is.

Two more things: 1) There are no sanity-checks. 2) The second line of the description-field has to be empty.

#!chris
Attached Files
File Type: zip mrxvt.zip (102.7 KB, 591 views)
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #33
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Cool! Are there any cool apps to launch?
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #34
sodb
sodb began at the beginning.

Escape from vi INSERT mode

Just press <End> button on keyboard
sodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #35
drazvan
drazvan is on a distinguished road

BTW, I couldn't find an answer to this: how the <beep> do I press CTRL on the iLiad keyboard? I need to press CTRL-C and stuff like that. Is that doable?
drazvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:02 PM   #36
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Mrxvt would be so much better if the font were larger. Has anyone got a larger font working? If there was a <ctrl> key, then perhaps <ctrl>= or <ctrl>+ would increase the font. For details of mrxvt, see the materm HomePage.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:03 AM   #37
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I attach a version based on the 0.2 but repackaged with a selection of X11 fonts to allow a larger font. This technique was suggested by Antartica in Bigger Font for mrxvt?.

Unzip on your desktop and copy the directory to (say) your CF card. I put it in Programs and rename the directory mrxvt. Then select it from the contentLister.

The run.sh script contains examples of using 3 fonts (two commented out). Edit run.sh if you prefer one of the other fonts, or to remove "-sr" if you prefer the srollbar on the left. Note that run.err will contain stderr from running ./mrxvt in the most recent invokation of run.sh.

The screenshots show three fonts. The first is 20x10, which only allows 72 characters per line. The 2nd is 15x9, which allows 80 characters per line, but is harder to read. The 3rd is 15x9bold, which I find easier to read than 15x9 and is currently selected in run.sh. As usual, depending on your browser setup, you may initially get a scaled down snapshot but clicking on it should display the full sized image.

Version 0.4 is described in post 42. Only run.sh and the new file mrxvtrc have changed.

Replaced by version 0.5.0 (xshell) or later, from post 53.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_10x20.png
Views:	960
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	6543   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_9x15.png
Views:	850
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	6544   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_9x15bold.png
Views:	890
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	6545  
Attached Files
File Type: zip mrxvt_iliad_0.3.zip (490.9 KB, 1643 views)
File Type: zip mrxvt_iliad_0.4.zip (491.1 KB, 1585 views)

Last edited by wallcraft; 06-16-2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: reference to xshell
Old 10-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #38
o_parallos
o_parallos began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad v2
one question, the answer could be obvious though . How do I ctrl-C in mrxvt, or, for that matter, any control sequence?
o_parallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:19 PM   #39
wallcraft
reader

The only "modifier" that the on-screen keyboard has by default is "shift". It might be possible to map one of the existing keys (perhaps "select") to the "control" modifier using xmodmap, but that would apply to all applications.

An alternative for mrxvt only might be to use its "macro" capability to remap the hardware keys. With this scheme, F1-F6 would potentially be available for particular control sequences (although F5, short stairstep, would typically be mapped to close all). However, currently the hardware keys don't work at all with mrxvt.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #40
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Is the source for the on-screen keyboard proprietary, or could it conceivably be modified to include the ctrl key?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #41
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Is the source for the on-screen keyboard proprietary, or could it conceivably be modified to include the ctrl key?
It's proprietary software written by Vision Objects licensed to iRex. No source is available.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:52 PM   #42
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_parallos View Post
How do I ctrl-C in mrxvt, or, for that matter, any control sequence?
On-screen keyboards don't have the "modifier" keys available on hardware keyboards. On a real keyboard holding the shift key and pressing a returns <shift>a, which X11 interprets (by default) as "A". On an on-screen keyboard, there is no way to hold one key while tapping another and instead tapping <shift> brings up essentially a different keyboard and then tapping A returns "A" directly (not <shift>a).

The same thing is the case for other modifiers, including <ctrl>, but the iLiad keyboard does not have <ctrl>.

The only alternative is remapping individual keys. This could be done (for all apps) at the X11 level, but mrxvt has its own shortcuts/macros capability which allows keys to be remapped just for mrxvt. There are several keys (EURO, <shift>EURO, <shift>2, and many <aeu> and <aeu><shift> keys) that have no effect in mrxvt. However, I have not been able to work out how to identify these for mrxvt macros. The only other "unused" keys are SELECT, DELETE, HOME, END (by default: SELECT is <ctrl>A, and END is <end> but works as ESCAPE). Version 4 of mrxvt (in post #37) remaps these four keys to <ctrl>C, <ctrl>Z, QUIT, and <escape>. Edit the file mrxvtrc to change these mappings. I am not sure that ^C and ^Z are working, and QUIT is perhaps too close to the relatively widely used END for comfort, so let me know if you have a better layout.

If the hardware keys were associated with mrxvt, then all their long keypresses would be available as mrxvt macros and the up key could be mapped to QUIT as usual.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:17 AM   #43
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
On-screen keyboards don't have the "modifier" keys available on hardware keyboards.
Not really.

xvkbd has them (I've used it quite extensively on a compaq/hp tc1000 tablet pc running Debian Sarge).

What I don't know is if the virtual keyboard provided by iRex can be replaced, or if xvkbd can be launched along with the current user application, i.e. mrxvt.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #44
wallcraft
reader

My point about modifier keys is that they work differently on virtual keyboards than on real keyboards. On virtual keyboards, it is the keyboard that assigns a new character to the <modifier><letter> combination. This means that xmodmap is less useful for customizing virtual keyboards than physical keyboards.

The iLiad keyboard is a replacement for matchbox-keyboard which I understand used to be provided with the iLiad. As the attached image shows, it has control keys. xvkbd looks even better, but matchbox-keyboard may be good enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	matchbox-keyboard.png
Views:	626
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	6764  
Old 05-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #45
Flow
Flow began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
does the terminal come with nano? MOC would be cool also.
Input in terminal is really slow. Am I the only one with this problem?
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote