Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
So, if you can't get a T-3...

... what would your replacement choice be?

I'm still hoping that my T-1 lasts until Sony changes it's no USA policy or I can get one from Canada with some hope of hassle-free service here if needed, but if that doesn't happen, then what? The ease of Calibre, great dictionaries (especially the British English - a godsend for me), reliability, size - what would come closest and why?

Don't want to root, don't want to play with software (only got the shelf thing done thanks to the expertise and kindness of Jackie W. & Helen ), just want to read. Ideas?

Plumadona
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
I'm waiting to see more user's reviews/reports done on the Aura, I might get one ...
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

re: Aura

I looked at that too, but am a bit scared of bugs and calibre complications. Would love to hear how it goes for you if you do get one.

Plumadona
Old 09-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I switched from Sony T1 to the Aura (well first to the Glo, but I can't really recommend that one, I had issues with it). If the T3 had come out with a light, I would have gotten it. Instead I went with the Aura.

As far as Calibre goes, it works pretty much the same as the Sony did, down to letting Calibre manage collections. I have two tag columns, one for my library, and one for the Sony reader collections, that same column is now being used for the kobo.

I haven't encountered any bugs in the software - I don't think most people who have issues have any actual bugs in it, it's more that some screens have pinpricks of light visible when the frontlight is active. I've been lucky in that regard.

Dictionary wise, the Sony was a bit better, with nicer etymology, but the English-English in the kobo is fine. For translation dictionaries, I have French - English, German - English, Italian - English, Spanish - English and Portuguese - English installed. I've only really used the French and Spanish ones, and they seem to work fine. I preferred the Sony ones by a small margin, but it's not enough of a disparity to matter to me.

So far, I am pretty happy with the device, and don't mind answering questions on it.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Plumadona
Groupie

Thanks - that sounds encouraging. Have you used it to download public library books? If so, can you download directly to the Aura as you can on the Sony? My husband and I are both heavy users of library e-books and ease of use in this area would be a big consideration. TIA,

Plumadona
Advert
Old 09-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am afraid I do not know! I've never used that feature of the Sony, so I never tried it on the kobo either. I believe it can be done, but that's about all I can say! Sorry.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Plumadona
Groupie

Thanks anyway - will try to find out on Kobo forums.

Plumadona
Old 09-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You can't download library books directly to Kobo's. You have to download the books via Adobe Digital Editions and transfer them to the device.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
Plumadona
Groupie

Oh, well. The quest continues. Impatience with the side-loading method was one reason why we defected from Nook in favor of Sony. We spend time away from home, which makes direct borrowing a godsend. Guess our T-1s better last a while longer

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-29-2013, 03:16 AM   #10
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I'm switching kobo I feel sonys really dropped the ball lately, I've used the Kobo mini a bit and found it actually better than my T1 in many things so I'm thinking Aura HD or equivalent will be my next reader.

In no hurry to upgrade for the sake of it but when I do it's going to be Kobo.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
Thanks - that sounds encouraging. Have you used it to download public library books? If so, can you download directly to the Aura as you can on the Sony? My husband and I are both heavy users of library e-books and ease of use in this area would be a big consideration. TIA,

Plumadona
The only device that can download directly from a library is a Sony. They apparently have a contract with Overdrive and nobody else can do it. How close are you to a border? It may be worth the drive to Canada. Go to Sony.ca and find the nearest Sony store to where you can easily get to and buy it there.

I'd call in advance to make sure they have it and the color you want, ask them to hold it and go for a drive. Most companies, not all but most, are good about supporting cross country warranties. I've bought electronics in the US for use at home in Canada. The paperwork says the warranty is valid in Canada and vice versa. Check first if that's a concern to you because not all are, but I'd bet it was.

The other thing too is that you don't get a long period of warranty so by the time you might need Sony's help, you'd be paying no matter where you bought it so how important is it really? Just something to consider.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
Plumadona
Groupie

Thanks for confirming what I hoped was not true - Sony is the only ereader that supports direct library downloads. I've always believed that one of their biggest marketing mistakes was not highlighting that fact. I think many more people would have been interested, particularly older folks who don't have or want tech skills, just an easy compact reader. Several of my friends, young and old, have seen my T-1 and marvelled at the ease of use. Seems to me if Sony didn't want to do a full-scale T-3 U.S. launch, it would have taken little or no effort to just sell them online and/or in Sony stores. With better marketing, who knows. But I digress.

I've sent an inquiry to Sony as to whether they would honor a warranty for a T-3 bought in Canada, but again, you're right. As long as there's no problems coming out of the box, it's not likely a warranty will do any good anyway. I'm planning a trip to Canada next summer, so I guess that's when I'll get a new reader. At any rate, I'll post the answer here, if I get one.

Plumadona
Old 09-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm thinking of getting a Kindle Paperwhite 2. Waiting for some reviews on this site. I still use my 650 and 350 daily, but would really like a built in light. The main thing purshing me toward a PW is that I have enough Amazon giftcards that it would essentially be free for me. I know I'll have to reformat my books from ePub to mobi or AZW, but Calibre will be able to handle that for me. If it weren't for the giftcards, I'd probably pick up either an Aura or an Aura HD, just because I'd be able to leave all my books in ePub format...

I imagine that even if I do get a PW, I'll still use my Sonys quite a bit--at least the 350, as the size makes it so handy for carrying around in my purse!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If you use Calibre to manage your ebook library, then converting from epub to awz/mobi is pretty inconsequential, as Calibre makes it so easy. New books I add are now just routinely converted to both formats, but most of my library are awz/mobi and I haven't bothered doing anything with them as Calibre just converts them to epub for me when I tell it to transfer them to my 350.

I like the ease of being able to buy books and get them sent directly to my Kindle occasionally, and I don't think anything beats the Amazon ecosystem for the ease of doing that. But the cloud storage and wireless delivery of ebooks is a big selling point for Amazon, so I agree with what you say Plumadona, I can't understand why Sony haven't highlighted that ease they have with library books - it really is a unique selling point for them?! Especially outside of the US where libraries tend to use epub format so can't technically use a Kindle for that purpose (without knowing some 'tricks').

Also can't really understand why they've decided to ignore the US market. Sure the T3 has limited appeal now, but do they really have anything to lose by making it available?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
Kaitou Ace
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Also can't really understand why they've decided to ignore the US market. Sure the T3 has limited appeal now, but do they really have anything to lose by making it available?
My only guess is that they figured that the sales would be embarrassingly low, and for a Japanese company like Sony, it's better to save face, and avoid the market entirely.