Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
beadysam
beadysam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Question Pages going backwards...?

Hiya all, I've looked through the forum but can't find anything - so please excuse me if I have missed the answer.

I have had a KT for a year with no probs but hubby has just bought me the Glo for Xmas. Its all ok except I keep getting locked in a loop. I touch to turn over a page and jump back anything from 1-5 pages, then the Kobo keeps skipping through those pages backwards and forwards while I keep trying to go forwards. Does that make sense? Then it sorts itself out and I am ok for a while, maybe 4-5 pages then it will do it again, then again I get a page forward and it will loop again. Sometimes it will go for ages maybe 30 pages or so before happening. I've read 3 books since xmas and its happened with all of them - I had them all loaded on the touch too so I tried it on there with no probs. Any suggestions?
beadysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Stoneguard
Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Well, I've never seen or heard about this problem before, it could be a screen issue requiring replacement, however perhaps try a factory reset. It will wipe everything tho so be aware of that but since you've only had it for a little while I'm sure you can handle losing some notes, ect.
Stoneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
That sounds like a hardware problem. Try cleaning out around where the screen meets the casing to make sure there isn't a speck of something in there.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have had a similiar problem with my mini. Usually only one page backwards, but twice went right to the start of the book.
Only happens about every ten pages though.
Also when I open the shelves it will often open one of the shelves on the first page and then open the book that is in that position. About one time in three.

Still this seems to be slightly different behaviour than paging backwards instead of forwards.

maybe it is my fingers but happens with a stylus too.

Also the slidebars are pretty unstable on my mini. When sliding forward they stop where you stop, display the page number for a few seconds and then ften immediately jump forward 10-50 pages. Or go to the first page when you are paging forward using the arrows.

Should I contact Kobo or are others having these problems as well.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Also the slidebars are pretty unstable on my mini. When sliding forward they stop wher you stop, display the page number for a few seconds and then ften immediately jump forward 10-50 pages. Or go to the first page whn you are paging forward using the arrows.
Try rolling your finger on the slide bar, rather than dragging it.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
beadysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
That sounds like a hardware problem. Try cleaning out around where the screen meets the casing to make sure there isn't a speck of something in there.
There doesn't seem to be. I have cleaned the screen and put on a protector - twice actually cos I had bubble that was driving me insane - and it seems to do it anyway, with or without the protector.

I am on another book now and it seems to be getting worse. I'll get to the end of the book and try a factory reset I think.

Thanks for the replies though. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If the factory reset doesn't fix it then I'd be taking it back for a replacement. If my Glo did that while reading a book it would drive me nuts :-)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
With my Kobo touch I had this loop problem of a few pages also couldn't get to next chapter. This was shortly after upgrade to 3.2.1 . Couldn't get to next chapter even using table of contents. Power off and back on would getting working again for short while. Factory reset, upgrade again, format SD card and loaded books again fixed problem. Can't say if all of this was needed to cure problem I have done this enough easy to do it all. I am doing other things while format or upgrade is happening.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
I had a 'problem' with my Touch when I first got it. When I touched the right hand edge of the screen thus wanting it to go forward one page it would sometimes go backward until I realised that I was swiping the right part of the screen right to left which made it go backwards. And swiping the right part of the screen [and also the left part of course] left to right makes it go forward.

Are you perhaps swiping and not just touching?
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
beadysam

Definately touching not swiping - I have had a touch for a year with no issues.
The Glo has been reset, but is still going backwards and the keyboard has an intermittent fault where it wont recognise a finger or stylus on the A and Q. Looks like I need a replacement....
Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 AM   #11
BusterB
BusterB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've got the same problem on a touch as well as a glo. Am I not touching the screen correctly? I can't figure out the pattern to it.
BusterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #12
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Sometimes my Touch stops page turning properly especially if I have been 'swiping' for a while [which is the easiest thing when holding in left had and lying down] and the quickest way to totally fix it is just do a power off/restart.

Works for me every time.

Last edited by voidoid; 01-08-2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: fun
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote