Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
gmedin
gmedin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo newspapers

The Kobo desktop app says that newspapers will be available May 31st, but that's come and gone with no sign of newspapers being available. Any word on when this will be available?
gmedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Yeah....I even gave them my email address so they could 'remind' me prior to the newspaper launch date. Haven't heard a thing. Not sure what to think....I suspect they're in over their heads with all the bugs and the ambitious hardware and app launches.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Indeed, it seems they haven't really updated anything on their website to reflect the pushing back of deadlines.

Adding one or two months to all those dates might yield something more accurate :/
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I have been getting magazine and newspaper articles using Calibre. Works quite well, but still suffers the font problem. For each "paper" I get I have to delete the stylesheet.css file but after that it works like a damn. Very enjoyable and completely free.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
urbanite
urbanite began at the beginning.

I purchased the Kobo as soon as it became available at the Toronto Chapters. I am very pleased with it, and have enjoyed learning about ebooks in general. It reminds me of the time (many years ago) that I first got an MP3 player and had to figure out all those tags and stuff. Fun!

But a key reason for my purchase was the newspaper subscriptions. I am using Calibre, it's been a real life-saver. And free besides. But I don't expect most average users to use a product like Calibre. It seems weird that there is no resetting of customer expectations on the newspaper subscription timeline, nor even an email to those of us (like jimr and myself) who asked for email notification.

So that's disheartening. I'll keep using it - I'm reading more books now! - but I'll be happy when the teething problems are done!
urbanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
DKazzed
Enthusiast
DKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Porcelain
Yea, I'm still waiting for the Globe & Mail! Kindle has the Globe & Mail but I'm sure it's not compatible with the Kobo?
DKazzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm interested to hear that people are enjoying the Calibre newspaper downloads for Kobo. I seem to have formatting issues when I download. Specifically the 'top stories' links don't work. Am I the only one with this problem? I've been downloading the Globe. My friend has a Kindle and he does not have the same issues. He can scroll around all over the newspaper and select links that I can't. He's downloading from Calibre just like me. Any thoughts?
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Well....they updated the newspaper page. They're saying it will be available this summer. Kinda vague timing I'd say. Well, at least they're still reading their own website.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
DKazzed
Enthusiast
DKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Porcelain
Hmmm, I tried Calibre for the Globe & Mail and it seems to be working. This'll have to do for now!
DKazzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKazzed View Post
Hmmm, I tried Calibre for the Globe & Mail and it seems to be working. This'll have to do for now!
It works, it's just not nearly as interactive on the kobo as it is on the kindle.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
It works, it's just not nearly as interactive on the kobo as it is on the kindle.
Yep, that very much jives with the Kobo's minimalist style.

I wonder how the official newspaper feeds will handle it actually. Think it's just going to be a simple TOC to browse? or are they going to implement something more elegant, specifically for news feeds (in which case, Calibre might be able to take advantage of those features, hopefully).
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
4Foot
4Foot began at the beginning.

I'm not so sure I would be anxious for the 'official' launch of newspaper subscriptions. The National Post Kindle edition is, I think, $14.95 a month. Equal to the dead tree edition brought right to your door by a small boy.

Think I would pass on that.

4Foot
4Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
urbanite
urbanite began at the beginning.

Kobo really missed a marketing opportunity today. There's a nice ad in the Globe highlighting the iPad, the Kindle, and the Sony. The Globe charges $19.95 for the mobile edition which they position as the "print edition delivered daily to your device".

I'm tempted to get the iPad ... I'd like to get my subscriptions when I'm on the road, and the small boy can't make it to my door!

I'm not sure how newspapers will be rendered on the Kobo, but the Calibre experience leaves me somewhat cold. I can't do anything with an embedded link since the Kobo doesn't have that ability. I think I need something more interactive.
urbanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
Paulc15
Paulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle DX , iPad 1, Kobo Vox
Just landed on my "doorstep" from Kobo...

Hi There,

A short time ago you signed up for the free Newspaper and Magazine trial with Kobo. When you first signed up you received an email saying that this free trial would take place in June.

We are writing to inform you that we have not yet started the free trial offer, but will do so in the near future, and would like to thank-you for taking the time to sign-up. The Kobo team is working on the final touches and will communicate once the free trial period is ready to begin.

Rest assured that you will be notified to receive the free trial once it is available.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Customer Care team at help@kobobooks.com.

Regards,
Kobo Customer Care
Paulc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #15
marnom
Enthusiast
marnom began at the beginning.

Quote:
Just landed on my "doorstep" from Kobo...
Just got the same...
marnom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, newspapers