Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
If I get an sd card reader, will it read my sd card?

I recently got my jbl and had an existing sd card. I have a card reader on my computer, so I formatted the sd card to 32 (not fat 32), and downloaded a book onto it. My jbl read it just fine. When I took it out and tried to add more books to it, my computer no longer recognizes the sd card. If I get an sd card reader, will the computer now recognize the sd card or did the jbl somehow corrupt the card? Thanks for all the help I've gotten on here.
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Size of SD card ?

What was the size of the SD card you formatted to Fat not Fat32

There is a funny quirk in Windows Vista and Windows 7 I have run across personally.

If you take an SDHC card (High Capacity) and format it to Fat. Windows Vista and 7 will use the card properly UNTILL you remove it from the system. The operating systems try to think for you so when you put the SD card back in the computer it will detect the card not being formatted properly and won't mount it so you can write to the card again. SOMETIMES you will get a small message box that says there is problem with your media do you wish to correct the problem. If you do not click the no or yes you will not be able to write to the media. If you missed the window while doing something else it will not pop up again unless you remove the card and wait a minute and put it back in again.

I hate operating systems that think they are smarter than the user.

If you have an SDHC card please format it to FAT32 and you will should not have any more problems.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Also there are several technical reasons that suggest "FAT 32" would perform better for
eBook use. (Primarily, the way it handles a large number of smaller files and the naming
of files/folders.)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
clerky96
Connoisseur

Thanks. It is a 2gb plain sd card. Windows Vista. No message popped up that I saw, but perhaps I didn't see it. I know when I first inserted it I got a choice of how I wanted to use the card. The choice I made was so I could add more files at another time. Who knows? If I add the files through the jbl it adds them without a problem. When I try to do anything through my computer, it doesn't recognize it. I thought the directions from jbl told me to format the sd card 32, and not to format to fat32. Guess I will have to continue to download books through the jbl until I get a new sd card.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Solution

Steps to fix the problem

1. Make a folder on your computer.
2 Attach the JB through the USB connector
3. Copy the files from the SD card through the JB to the folder on your computer
4. Remove the SD card from JB with power on
5. Insert the SD card into your computer slot
6. Format the SD card to FAT32
7. Copy the files in the directory you made to the SD card
8. Add any files you want.
9. Remove the SD card from the computer

Test the card

10. Put the card back in your computer
11. Check the card mounted properly
12. Add one more file to the SD card to test it.

You should be able to add another file to the SD card and this proves the Vista system sees the card properly.

13. Put SD card back into the JB with the power on.
14. Open a book on the SD card
15. Close book and delete a book from the SD card

16. Put the SD card back in the computer
17. See if the card reads properly
18. See now if you can add a file to the card

Let me know if it fails anywhere along the line and tell me what the number is that it fails on.

We will figure out what is going on. I do not think it has anything to do with the JB.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a little note:

Between step 13 and 14 you may need to remove the SD card while the JBL is
on and reinsert it, to get the JBL to properly update the display.

When you get to the first page of the book listings, look at the bottom right corner
of the display, if it doesn't say "SD" then you will need to reinsert the SD card.

**Notice when you remove the card, a message box comes up telling you that it is
updating and not to remove the card. (Odd way to phrase that, as you only see that
when you insert or remove the SD card.) Also, note the the "SD" is gone from the
bottom right corner.

After you have reinserted the SD card, you will see the message box again. When
the message box has gone, you should now have the "SD" in the bottom right corner
and be able to access the files on your SD card.

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
clerky96
Connoisseur

Thanks Gr8npwrfl and Ken. I will have to wait until tomorrow to try this. I just now checked back in and as an "old fogie", it is bedtime. LOL

Last edited by clerky96; 02-10-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
If you remove or insert the SD card, it's probably best done when you're on the main screen.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
If you remove or insert the SD card, it's probably best done when you're on the main screen.
In this instance, we want to see that the file list update actually
changes to include the SD card's contents. Normally, it works fine on
the first page of the file listing. Sometimes (like if I don't pull the card
all the way out, right away) it can mess up the process and then going
back to the main (Books, Pictures, Settings) page and reinserting the
card, then selecting "Books" causes an update that works.

Worth pointing out, though.

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
clerky96
Connoisseur

Maybe I have something going on with my computers built in card reader? I haven't done any of the steps above yet, but I have another 1gb sd card that I have pictures on. I decided to put it into my computer to see if it would read that card and it doesn't read it either. Could Vista be "screwing up" my sd cards so I am not able to add or remove files on my computer? BTW, neither card is locked.

Update; I left the house for a little while and forgot to remove the 1gb sd card with the pictures. My computer went into "sleep" mode while I was gone. When I clicked my mouse to wake the computer, it read the sd card. Think I will try it with the one in the jbl and see what happens there. This is an experiment in progress.

Last edited by clerky96; 02-11-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Perhaps you could supply the make and model of your computer. Also, if you installed
the built-in card reader, its make and model.

Are you able to see the files on the SD card, at all?

You should go through the steps that "gr8npwrfl" outlined and make the notes he
requested.

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
clerky96
Connoisseur

It's an HP G60-235 laptop with a built in reader. 1 year old. I intend to try the steps, but hubby is reading right now, so it will have to wait until he if finished.

Updated. I removed the sd card from the jbl and put it in the card reader of my computer.
I let the computer go to sleep and then woke it up. It read the card and I loaded a couple more books on it. It will work this way! Yeah!

Last edited by clerky96; 02-11-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I have a question for you experts....just got a card reader and a card in the mail. None of my computers like it. One doesn't pick up on it at all, the other two say there is a malfunction of some sort. Does this mean the reader, or the card, or both, are defective? I do have another reader on the way but have no idea of its ETA.

Thanks for your help!

Anne
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I have a question for you experts....just got a card reader and a card in the mail. None of my computers like it. One doesn't pick up on it at all, the other two say there is a malfunction of some sort. Does this mean the reader, or the card, or both, are defective? I do have another reader on the way but have no idea of its ETA.

Thanks for your help!

Anne

It is almost imposible to diagnose a problem like that, without knowing
the specific makes and models of the effected components; in this case
your computer(s) and Operating Systems, the card reader in question and
the SD card(s) you are trying to use.

Generally a USB SD card reader, should work in any computer with an OS
that supports USB devices.

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
All my computers run windows XP. The card is a Sandisk SD 2GB. The reader is Oker Brand SD HC USB 2.0 SD/MMC/RS--MMC

Does that help at all? Thanks so much.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote