Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 03:03 AM   #46
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Thanks! I was looking for something to do tonight...I'll go read the spec....again.

I do know that it supports linking outside of the epub, whether or not it is in the spec. I just created a basic epub with an external link in Sigil and it worked fine. It passed Flightcrew and ePubcheck3, compiled in kindle previewer and ADE. The link worked in all of those. I would assume that if you are using a device/app that had browser support, it would work there as well.
Maybe it's allowed in the spec, but left to the reader to do something (or not) with. My Nook STG does not go to a web site if you click on a link to a web site in an epub. It pulls up the book menu.

But anyway, Marvin has another approach. It appears to do its added-value things with external sources outside the epub proper, so it's not an issue.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #47
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
For me, technology has already improved the reading experience and by quite a lot.

Katsunami's list from post #32 applies perfectly to how my experience was improved by my current ereader:
- Lighted screens.
- Bigger font sizes.
- Custom font choices.
- Always good "print".
- Less weight, easy to carry 5 books if i want.
- Easy one handed reading.
- No cracking spines.
- No falling apart of a paperback during 3rd read.
- Free classics. Hundreds and thousands of them.

I would add the fact that, no matter what novel I'm reading, the device still fits in my jacket pocket so now I don't have to think "should I take the book with me?", I almost always have it.

As for what more can it be done, I still think there is place for improvement.
None of the ereaders currently on offer work perfectly or have the maximum possible configurability (this is probably not a word but hopefully you know what I mean). I expect this to change in 2 years or so.

As for more major changes, I am waiting for the ereader that is reasonably waterproof, scratch proof, shockproof, sit-on-by-mistake-proof. Oh, and even lighter than the current ones and with similar or better battery life.
The ereader that is colour and yet not backlit (without having worse resolution than b&w).
The ereader that has a foldable screen: I like the 6" size for fiction but I would like a 10"-11" size for PDFs, magazines, etc. but in the same device.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #48
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah68 View Post
I will say however........that man is the only species that can kill at a distance.
Porcupine, Archer Fish, Spitting Spider, Spitting Cobra, Pistol Shrimp and Bombardier Beetle from the top of my head
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #49
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Porcupine, Archer Fish, Spitting Spider, Spitting Cobra, Pistol Shrimp and Bombardier Beetle from the top of my head
There's also some ants.

Do we get to add plants? Defining "kill at a distance" gets a little weird (are spores "at a distance" or not? Poisonous berries?) but there are some that are toxic a long way away from their base.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #50
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
I still can't get that clock on the VCR to stop blinking 12:00
The easy fix:

5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #51
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I knew someone would mention the primates. I did think of that before i posted.
I meant more like, shooting another human, on purpose, from, say, 100 yards. Or a plane dropping a bomb sort of "Panache"
Desmond Morris' Naked Ape/Intimate Behavior/Human Zoo and Jared Diamond's Third Chimp are must reads.
They make life in monkey house Earth tolerable.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #52
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
There are hundreds of shows, but only a few of great quality. There are millions of books, but only hundreds of great quality. Still, books win.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #53
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Reading is going to remain text on a page - whether that page is paper, LCD or e-ink - but while the basics won't change, there are improvements. Having a library at your fingers and being able to change the font are huge enhancements.
I agree. The improvements in video technology are more cosmetic than anything else. Visual effects that were either too dangerous to film live or are impossible to film (i.e. flying dragons and giants) look ever more realistic compared to that shot 40-50 yrs ago but the actual product hasn't changed either. The medium on which its viewed has film reels to VHS to DVD but film still remains film in some basic ways. And whether the text is viewed on a paper page or on a computer screen or via e-ink technology reading is still a visual experience as well. You can listen to an audio book, but you can't read it and books on a page will always be read rather than experienced in other ways.
The real improvement is in the delivery method. If I buy a paper book from Amazon or elsewhere it can take a week or more to arrive and I'm dependent upon those who transport it from the seller to me to take proper care with my purchase. That's assuming of course that the book in question is in print to be purchased. With an ebook I can find it online in minutes if not quicker and have it on my reader with the click of a buy button.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #54
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I agree. The improvements in video technology are more cosmetic than anything else. Visual effects that were either too dangerous to film live or are impossible to film (i.e. flying dragons and giants) look ever more realistic compared to that shot 40-50 yrs ago but the actual product hasn't changed either.
Clash of the Titans was cheesy the first time and it was cheesy the second time.

DUNE and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA both improved but it was because the writing improved not because of the CGI.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #55
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
DUNE and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA both improved but it was because the writing improved not because of the CGI.
Oh No you Didn't!! You did NOT just try to put down Dune or BG!!! I'm gunna tell your mom!!!!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #56
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
Especially since I just finished viewing a program on Animal Planet showing Japanese macacque troops spending winter months in hot springs, and others scouring beaches for shells and other sea food. How did this get started? According to the researchers who discovered this some 60 years ago, it was due to the curiosity of leading females, who then taught all other macacques to do the same. Younger macacques are now learning how to dive and take advantage of food found at the bottom of the springs. Once they grow up, they will teach this behaviour to their offspring. As the narrator said, this is evolution happening right before our eyes.

Plus, the saying "Curiosity killed a cat" says it all, doesn't it?
Someone should try teaching a young female macacque to use a tablet. Then she should teach another macacque and so on and so on...
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #57
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Oh No you Didn't!! You did NOT just try to put down Dune or BG!!! I'm gunna tell your mom!!!!
Put down Dune? The DiLaurentis edition?
Hah! I was being polite.

You Do.Not. want to see the vitriol I can sling at that abomination.
It's right down there with the Nightfall movie and the Lensmen anime for the biggest butchery ever inflicted on quality SF. Which is worse in my eyes than doing a faithful adaptation of inherently bad material. (Battlefield Earth.)

Old 02-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #58
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
Someone should try teaching a young female macacque to use a tablet. Then she should teach another macacque and so on and so on...
Oh, I don't think Nook tablet sales are quite that bad yet...
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #59
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
... As long as eReading requires more actions than "download -> drop on reader", between any store and any brand of reader, it won't be ready for the big masses.
You're giving the masses a little too much credit. In the real world, you're dealing with people who say, "OK, I downloaded this file, now where did it go? You want me to do WHAT?" (sigh)
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #60
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
You're giving the masses a little too much credit. In the real world, you're dealing with people who say, "OK, I downloaded this file, now where did it go? You want me to do WHAT?" (sigh)
Sadly, you're correct. With regard to computers and technology, many people know so very little that they aren't even able to find their downloaded files after clicking "Download", not even bothering to see if there is a "\My Documents\Downloads\ or something.

I worked in support in the past. I've encountered this stuff daily. For years.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote