Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
lolmerrill
lolmerrill began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Looking for replacement for kindle.

And as much I kinda want the new fire HD, I dont want to give them any more money because Im disgusted with Amazon's customer service as my kindle broke after a yr and change with no provocation or damage and they offered me nothing in return. They were also incredibly rude about it. The thing is, I loved the thing. I'm spoiled with the text-to-speech because I run a household so Im bouncing in and out of the car all day. I might even forgive them and opt back in but I HATE the heavily skinned amazon carousel OS. Its ridiculous. I've also decided I want a full fledged tablet and there is lots to love about the nexus 7. Does anyone know if they found a way to sideload books I already have in calibre (I had a million in my queue before my kindle bit the dust) into google books or another reader app that does text to speech? i heard the kindle app for android doesnt support that.
lolmerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
You can use the calibre companion app (paid but so worth it) by connecting a tablet either as a wireless device, which uses the new wireless device driver connectivity, or to the content server. The wireless device driver works as you'd expect any other device to work, just without wires. The content server connection lets you browse from your tablet and initiate transfers from there. Essentially, you would probably do the former for large numbers of books and the latter if you want to grab a few or a specific book from calibre.

From that point, in the Calibre Companion app, you select the book you want to read and it will ask you what app to use. You can set a default at that time if you want, and from then on it will always open that file type with the app you selected.

There are a few that do text to speech. Moon+ Pro does, and Cool Reader also. There are probably others but I haven't used them. Both of the ones I mentioned support epub and (non-DRM) mobi files, among other formats.

You can find more info on Calibre Companion in the Calibre > Devices forum.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
hmmm is there a Calibre app for the IPad? I might have to look into this...
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
You could also just use the Calibre server itself to add books wirelessly (for free) to a reader app like Aldiko (free version, android), Mantano (free version, android) or Moon Reader (android), MegaReader (iOS), Apabi (iOS) and Stanza (free, iOS) which although unsupported still works with iOS 6. The content server works within your home network.

I believe you can connect to the server outside your home network with Calibre Companion however I am unsure as I've never tried it.
How to for Calibre server + tablet here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...calibre+tablet

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-31-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote