Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 03:15 AM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Newbie Question

I just received my Pocket Pro today! After reading posts in this forum for a week I decided for my first E-Reader the Pocket Pro is the one I wanted. I like I can choose where to buy my books and no one is spying on me. (Sorry Amazon)

I finished the 12 hour charge very impatiently and upgraded the firmware as I read to do. So far so good. It loads my ebooks just fine which are in PRC and Mobi format. I like how you can choose what font you want to read the book in.

This is probably a stupid question but how do you use the Table of Contents? I can get to the TOC page but have no clue how to select any of the links. I looked in the manual but didn't see anything.

Also once you update your firmware can you delete the bin file off your card.

Thanks for any help!

Blossom
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Blossom. It's no use publishers posting page numbers in a Table Of Contents because pages display differently according to format, device and font size and the references would be out of whack. What some publishers do, though, is to make the TOC live so that you can navigate to what you want using your direction arrows, click on, say, chapter ten and be taken straight there. Hope this is of some help. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Welcome Blossom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
This is probably a stupid question but how do you use the Table of Contents? I can get to the TOC page but have no clue how to select any of the links. I looked in the manual but didn't see anything.
This is done by using the page backward and page forward keys on the lower key set (the 9 and 0 keys). To select an item in the TOC press the OK key (the big one at the lower right). Occasionally in some documents the TOC won't be active. (The other page turn keys on the left of the reader and also the right click wheel will still turn pages when a TOC is open.)

Quote:
Yes you can if you really want to. (It is my personal preference to leave this on the card; this way I have the option to reflash my reader's firmware at anytime, without needing to be near my pc to replace the firmware. Just incase!) Whether you remove it or not, make sure you keep a backup copy of it elsewhere. It is a good idea to keep backup copies of all firmware updates, this includes previous ones after installing newer ones.

Congratulations on receiving your new Pocket Pro, Blossom. Make yourself at home here in the forum. Feel free to post any other questions or comments. There are lots of helpful folks here.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Good to have your company, Blossom. It's no use publishers posting page numbers in a Table Of Contents because pages display differently according to format, device and font size and the references would be out of whack. What some publishers do, though, is to make the TOC live so that you can navigate to what you want using your direction arrows, click on, say, chapter ten and be taken straight there. Hope this is of some help. Best wishes. Neil
The first number shown (1-8) is the Button number you press to jump to the indicated TOC item. (The next number shown may be the chapter number and will not work correctly, if at all )

If the numbers in the bottom-middle are different than 1/1. The TOC has more than 1 Page, you use the page turn keys to switch TOC pages.

To Escape the TOC without changing where you were when you entered: Press the Return (looped arrow next to OK)

Not all books are coded with a TOC, so a blank TOC is just what you will see. Press Return to Escape.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your help and welcomes. The Pocket Pro is my first E-Reader device. I've been using Mobipocket Reader on my netbook but have been getting neck and back strain from looking down and the glare hurts my sensitive eyes. My husband said if I could find a reader I wanted for under $200 he would get it for me as an Earlier 10th wedding Anniversary gift. He really didn't expect me to find one at that price and truthfully neither did I.

After some much needed sleep because the charge finished at 2AM and I was waiting on the Fed EX guy earlier that day which didn't show up till late afternoon making miss my nap. lol I figured out the TOC navigation this morning for PRC/Mobi books I have.

It seems once your on the TOC page you click the menu button then Choose Link option from the little menu and it will put a little number by each chapter link then you use 0 -9 keys to type in the link number by the chapter you want to go to then hit the menu button. So now I can pick up reading where I left off on my desktop reader.

I do have a couple more questions. I read that folders need not have any spaces in them for the font and bookmarks to be remember but what about filenames? Do they need to be in the same name format as well?

All my books are in PRC/Mobi format is there any advantages of converting them to EPUB with Calibre? I really do not care for EPUB on my desktop as I think ADE is one of the most featureless readers compare to Mobipocket Reader which has the options of changing font type, size, background colors, margins which just a few clicks.

I think I will pick up a separate card to keep the firmware on and delete it from my Main card. I was unable to find a 16GB card locally they were sold out so I picked up a 8GB card and foresee it getting filled up fast specially if I put any PDFs on here. I can get a 2GB card for $13 at Walmart which should be plenty for holding the firmware file. I also will be sure to backup each version on my desktop. It's an old habit of mine anyways with all software I own because sometimes new isn't better.

Thanks again for all your help. So far I am loving the Pocket Pro and my husband is even impressed with it. He just couldn't see why I wanted one at first when I have my netbook but now he sees for the price I got a really nice deal.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I leave out spaces(use the underscore char) as a principal after having problems. Calibre can do this for you as part of the "Save to" operation, painlesly.

2G cards are under $10 here. The big ones are $$
Try other formats to see what you like Not all convert well.

Have you tried EPUBreader here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=211. It integrates with Firefox Browser nicely.
(I am a FF user for a long time) IE, only when I must.

I read EPUB, mostly text. 2G is well over the 700 titles I have stored.
Manga, pictures will eat space faster.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I paid $30 for 8GB SDHC Sandisk card but all 16GB was sold out. One of the disadvantages of living in a small town.

I have tried EPUBreader but found it didn't display alot of the epubs I have correctly. If I have to read Epub I use FBReader which so far besides Calibre's built in reader is the best Desktop reader for epub I have found. Also my little netbook and FF don't get along too well so I am stuck with IE8. My Desktop I use FF but I have a really nice one that can handle the resource hog that Firefox is. Mobipocket Reader is my desktop choice for reading but I see it getting sadly neglected now I have my Pocket Pro.

What I wanted to know is there was any advantages of using EPUB on the Pocket Pro as opposed to PRC/Mobi.

Thanks for the tips on filenaming. I used XYplorer to rename my books with a simple click. It has a option to change spaces in files names to underscores or vice versa. I just read my first chapter on the Pocket Pro and I got to say so far I love it! The only thing I miss is my lookup feature on Mobipocket Reader it looks up word definitions with a single right click but other then that I have no qualms.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I just received my Pocket Pro today! After reading posts in this forum for a week I decided for my first E-Reader the Pocket Pro is the one I wanted. I like I can choose where to buy my books and no one is spying on me. (Sorry Amazon)

I finished the 12 hour charge very impatiently and upgraded the firmware as I read to do. So far so good. It loads my ebooks just fine which are in PRC and Mobi format. I like how you can choose what font you want to read the book in.

Thanks for any help!

Blossom
It works differently for different file types. For the mobi and prc files you bring up the toc page so you see the items with underlines. Now use the menu to select 6 (follow link). This will cause small numbers to appear beside the underlined words and at the bottom of the screen is a place to enter those numbers for the one you want. If there are more than 9 you may need to ok the one you want.

This follow link trick also works for any links you find in the file, not just the toc.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I leave out spaces(use the underscore char) as a principal after having problems. Calibre can do this for you as part of the "Save to" operation, painlesly.
It is a reasonable precaution for other reasons such as copying etc. but spaces are ok in file names for the purpose of bookmarks working. It is only folder names that cause the bug.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:37 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Thank you! I got the TOC figured out.

Edit: I got one custom font to work! It was a naming issue!
Now to retry the others.

Last edited by Blossom; 03-07-2010 at 02:54 AM. Reason: I figured it out!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
How did I miss you, Blossom?

Quote:
I paid $30 for 8GB SDHC Sandisk card but all 16GB was sold out. One of the disadvantages of living in a small town.

I have tried EPUBreader but found it didn't display alot of the epubs I have correctly. If I have to read Epub I use FBReader which so far besides Calibre's built in reader is the best Desktop reader for epub I have found. Also my little netbook and FF don't get along too well so I am stuck with IE8. My Desktop I use FF but I have a really nice one that can handle the resource hog that Firefox is. Mobipocket Reader is my desktop choice for reading but I see it getting sadly neglected now I have my Pocket Pro.

What I wanted to know is there was any advantages of using EPUB on the Pocket Pro as opposed to PRC/Mobi.

Thanks for the tips on filenaming. I used XYplorer to rename my books with a simple click. It has a option to change spaces in files names to underscores or vice versa. I just read my first chapter on the Pocket Pro and I got to say so far I love it! The only thing I miss is my lookup feature on Mobipocket Reader it looks up word definitions with a single right click but other then that I have no qualms.
Dear Blossom:

I am with Astak and always try to greet everybody and welcome them. I am so sorry I missed you. Warm welcome!!

The biggest advantage to reading in EPUB is as follows:

1. Your Pocket PRO has Adobe Digital Editions on it. That means you can read DSRM eBooks on your Pocket PRO in PDF and EPUB.
2. You get 9 choices of font size in PDF and EPUB when you do the firmware upgrade.
3. A new website will be announced VERY shortly where ALL the titles (200,000 PAY titles and the Google Free Library 1 MIllion eBooks ) will be in PDF and EPUB. This makes things very, very easy for you as any title you choose will read perfectly! That website has one button for all the latest New York Times Bestsellers and a very sophisticated search function.

I hope that this helps and I am so happy you are now an Astak lover!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

RobertB, Thanks for the welcome. I got my Pocket Pro on Friday so I've had a few days to play around with it. I really love how I can take out the SC card pop it into my desktop and add books in the matter of minutes. There's no eye strain whatsoever! After reading ebooks on my desktop and netbook for years. I can't believe the difference. So far I am loving having a E-Reader and believe I chose the perfect one for me.

Thanks on the advantages of using the EPUB format. I went ahead and experimented a little with them last weekend. I've put a few EPUBs on the PP to compare it to the MOBI format.

I really like MOBI and how it remembers the exact paragraph I am on. EPUB goes back to the page number it seems which when in zoom mode can be several pages back. Is there a work around this? I like that EPUB seems to remember what Zoom I am in. It seems sometimes page numbers overlaps the text when zoomed in. A minor annoyance that MOBI doesn't have.

The Times font is darker when Zoomed in with a EPUB book which makes up for lack of not being able to use your own font like you can in MOBI. The zoom in MOBI could be better but I really have no complaints about that format other then the Zoom.

EPUB could be a tad better then I might switch over cause I like how more readable the font is compare to MOBI even if there's just one font you can view with.

Thanks for making a great product!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #13
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
I really like MOBI and how it remembers the exact paragraph I am on. EPUB goes back to the page number it seems which when in zoom mode can be several pages back. Is there a work around this? I like that EPUB seems to remember what Zoom I am in. It seems sometimes page numbers overlaps the text when zoomed in. A minor annoyance that MOBI doesn't have.
With the overlap of the text and page number when reading ePubs, because you are using Calibre to do the conversion, you can when converting the book (after clicking Convert E-Books) go to "Page Setup" and adjust the margin for left/right. I personally find a 15pt to be effective in removing the overlap.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Thank you for the this tip! It wasn't my own conversion but it's good to know how to fix it.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
We are happy you are happy!

Quote:
RobertB, Thanks for the welcome. I got my Pocket Pro on Friday so I've had a few days to play around with it. I really love how I can take out the SC card pop it into my desktop and add books in the matter of minutes. There's no eye strain whatsoever! After reading ebooks on my desktop and netbook for years. I can't believe the difference. So far I am loving having a E-Reader and believe I chose the perfect one for me.

Thanks on the advantages of using the EPUB format. I went ahead and experimented a little with them last weekend. I've put a few EPUBs on the PP to compare it to the MOBI format.

The Times font is darker when Zoomed in with a EPUB book which makes up for lack of not being able to use your own font like you can in MOBI. The zoom in MOBI could be better but I really have no complaints about that format other then the Zoom.

EPUB could be a tad better then I might switch over cause I like how more readable the font is compare to MOBI even if there's just one font you can view with.

Thanks for making a great product!
Dear Blossom:

We are very happy every time somebody posts and says "thank you"! I am very happy you like our product and we will strive to make it even better!

A new firmware upgrade shoul;d be posted by tomorrow and that will improve the .LIT and FB2 formats.

We try never to rest on making our devices better! When you are up against huge monsters like Kindle, Sony, and B&N... you HAVE to have a better product.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote