Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #31
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Pretty nice and apps available as well. Hoping to have great apps for this and perfect brightness. whew!
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #32
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
Pretty nice and apps available as well. Hoping to have great apps for this and perfect brightness. whew!
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #33
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I would suspect that they use 2.3 because that's all the thing can cope with.
I thought about that.
I'm no expert on Android, but it's interesting that LOTS of devices use 2.3 .
A collegue suggested it might be the last truly stable version. Or perhaps it's the last version that doesn't need too much power just for the interface?
In any case, there's something about 2.3 I don't see.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #34
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Forkosigan explained it once in the German Pocketbook forum (sorry, too lazy to look it up now). When I remember it right, it has something to do with Google expecting too much from the devices they grant the right to run Android 3+, like having two cameras and so on.

Last edited by Billi; 10-12-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #35
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Ah, that makes sense then. My only worry is that 2.3 is really getting on a bit and that apps may no longer support that version - I mean it's a bit like expecting software to keep running on Win XP or something

Now even if the processor can handle a more recent version of Android, will there be anyone willing and able to do a port? After all it's unlikely to be sold in very large numbers

Last edited by Yolina; 10-12-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #36
Read&Write
Enthusiast
Read&Write has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx M92
Hooray!

I have been waiting for a device like this quite some time. After buying an Onyx M92 and being disappointed by the complete lack of progress in the Android-department, I think this may finally be the one device to rule them all. I would like to see whether it will be able to handle apps based on open street map (although scrolling could be a bit of a hassle). That alone would make the device an extremely versatile map in every corner of the world and would constitute a must-have for me. Not to mention the millions of things you can do with other apps. And 256MB should be sufficient, most of those apps tend to have a footprint of ~20MB.

I would not worry about the ability to run certain apps, by the way. The way I understand the process of development of Android apps is that they will run on most versions, even old ones. Only the features exclusive to newer versions of Android will be missing. I doubt most apps rely on special features that only the latest version of Android provides. So I do not really see a reason to port the device to a different version of Android.

I think I will buy one of these in November just to find out. And to support the idea of an "open" ereader.
Read&Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #37
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
And to support the idea of an "open" ereader.
Amen to that! I too will be getting one.
LordP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #38
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP View Post
Amen to that! I too will be getting one.
And me too!
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #39
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I've just heard back from the company:
"yes, the imcoV6L is also available for customers in the UK – you can make the pre-order here: www.imcosys.com "

So no UK retailers by the looks of things, only direct buy from them - bit annoying as I'd really like to be able to handle one before deciding.

Last edited by Yolina; 10-14-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #40
Read&Write
Enthusiast
Read&Write has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx M92
Thanks for the information

Thank you for pointing out the link for pre-ordering. Just did that
Read&Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #41
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Not sure if it was mentioned before, but they actually have quite a few Android readers. This is just the newest one, the others may be cheaper if Android is the only feature you are interested in in this device.

imcoG6TWL
6"-EBook-Reader
E-Ink-Pearl-Display (HD), Multi-Touch + Hardware Buttons
Resolution: 1024 x 758; 16 Grey scale
Frontlight (integrated light)
4 GB integrated memory
microSD-Slot (max. 32 GB)
3.5mm-Audio Connector
Internal Speakers
EPUB, EPUB2, EPUB3, PDF, FB2, MOBI, TXT, RTF, HTML, HTM,
CHM, DOC, DOCX, XLS/XLSL, PPT/PPTX, PDB,
DJVU, DJV, ZIP, RAR, 7ZIP, MP3, WAV, WMA
Adobe DRM, PDF reflow
DRM10 (WMDRM)
Android OS (open OS; install your own Apps)

imcoRC01
6"-EBook-Reader
E-Ink-Pearl-Display (Capacitive-Touch)
Resolution: 800 x 600; 16 Grey scale
800 MHz Processor
4 GB internal storage
WiFi 802.11 b/g
2.5mm-Audio Connector for audio books and music
EPUB, Adobe DRM, TXT, PDF reflow
MP3, WMA, WMDRM (DRM10)
JPG, BMP, PNG
Android OS

imcoI06
6"-EBook-Reader
E-Ink Pearl-Display (Infrared-Touch)
Resolution: 800 x 600; 16 Gray scale
800 MHz Processor
4 GB internal storage
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
2.5mm-Audio Connector for audio books and music
MP3, WMA, WMDRM (DRM10)
JPG, BMP, PNG
Android OS

imcoRC602
6"-EBook-Reader
E-Ink Pearl-Display (Infrared-Touch)
Glowlight
Resolution: 800 x 600; 16 Gray scale
800 MHz Processor
4 GB internal storage
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
MP3, WMA, WMDRM (DRM10) etc.
JPG, BMP, PNG
Android OS
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #42
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I wonder why they make so many different models. But I suppose variety is the spice of life.

Are any of their many models available in the US? I'm very interested in an e-ink Android reader, as I much prefer e-ink over a tablet. It would be great having Kindle, Nook, etc all on an e-ink device rather than a tablet. I do OK with tablets, but much prefer e-ink.

Thanks.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #43
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I wonder why they make so many different models. But I suppose variety is the spice of life.

Are any of their many models available in the US? I'm very interested in an e-ink Android reader, as I much prefer e-ink over a tablet. It would be great having Kindle, Nook, etc all on an e-ink device rather than a tablet. I do OK with tablets, but much prefer e-ink.

Thanks.

SteveK
Their intent is to OEM the products. That is why they have so many to support any product desired by an OEM. They also seem to be offering some on their web site. I have no idea what area they are shipping to but it seems to be at least all over Europe.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #44
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
I have no idea what area they are shipping to but it seems to be at least all over Europe.
I just preordered mine here in NY.

If you click on 'English->Buy' you will eventually find this:

Quote:
ImCoSys Inc., 20 Norden RD, 11375 Forest Hills, 646-450-7704
LordP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #45
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
LordP- I had sent them an email yesterday to ask if I could order from them, but have not received a response yet. I take it that you can. I may have to give this one a try, as it would be very nice to have various reading apps on an e-ink device, rather than a tablet. Hope it handles the Kindle app, etc, as well as Scribd.

Thanks for posting, and I'm definitely going to have to give this some thought.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote