Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
pepijndevos
Connoisseur
pepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle 4NT
Compile lab126 kernel

I'm looking to compile the source code for the 4.1.0 kernel released by Amazon on my Ubuntu laptop.

I used this as a reference: http://www.christian-hoff.com/?p=44

When I try to compile the uImage, it gives the following error:
Code:
linux-2.6.31/scripts/gen_initramfs_list.sh: Cannot open 'initramfs-tequila.list'
The most important question is of course: Where is the file?

Less important questions are:
What's up with the mario references?
Is yoshime for Kindle 4 Mario Edition?
Is tequila a mario character?
Is tequila a codename for yoshi? A code name for a code name, right. I have a initramfs.yoshime.list that seems legit.
pepijndevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@pepijndevos: We used to disable CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE when building K2/K3 kernels. That might help here, too .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepijndevos View Post
Is tequila a codename for yoshi? A code name for a code name, right. I have a initramfs.yoshime.list that seems legit.
yoshi is a codename of architecture (i.e. hardware design). Two specific devices made of this architecture are available in the wild: K4's codename is tequila, KT's codename is whitney.

yoshime stands for yoshi Millenium Edition, in memory of that epically failed Windows (I'm just kidding.) No, really. (No, I'm kidding.)

Paperwhite is based on yoshime3 architecture and has a codename celeste.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@pepijndevos: We used to disable CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE when building K2/K3 kernels. That might help here, too .
My thoughts exactly. Depending on his intention.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
yoshi is a codename of architecture (i.e. hardware design). Two specific devices made of this architecture are available in the wild: K4's codename is tequila, KT's codename is whitney.

yoshime stands for yoshi Millenium Edition, in memory of that epically failed Windows (I'm just kidding.) No, really. (No, I'm kidding.)

No, really. (No, I'm kidding.)

No, really.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
pepijndevos
Connoisseur
pepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
My thoughts exactly. Depending on his intention.
Run it on my Kindle?
Old 10-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
twobob

Quote:
Run it on my Kindle?
right. The point is: will you be using the initramfs stuff or not?

I build and happily run my kindle 3 kernel without that as Niluje has said above.

So if you can simply do as instructed above then it will bypass the need.

This is documented on several threads, including my buildroot 3.3 thread, The YianLu thread, and also others IIRC.

: )
Old 10-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Then yup, don't need an initramfs/initrd
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post

FWIW, I saw code comments signed by a lab126 programmer whose name was Yoshime.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #10
pepijndevos
Connoisseur

No result for YianLu, but the buildroot thread does indeed mention this.

Well, it got a little further, but it's stuck again. As Chris notes, there are a few includes missing. Like him, I added these files from Kindle touch.

I came upon another naming mystery. Finkle!

Boardid.h defines BOARD_ID_TEQUILA, BOARD_ID_TEQUILA_EVT1 and BOARD_ID_TEQUILA_EVT2, but the compiler whines about BOARD_ID_FINKLE_EVT1 being undeclared in arch/arm/linux/setup.c

If Finkle is another piece of hardware, I assume it's safe to add a stub value for it?

I would like to thank Amazon for their care and attention to detail while generously making their obligatory GPL release.

[edit]
FYI Kindle 4.1 need KINDLE_VERSION defined in kindle_version.h, rather than VERSION_TAG.

Last edited by pepijndevos; 10-22-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
twobob

Quote:
No result for YianLu, but the buildroot thread does indeed mention this.

Well, it got a little further, but it's stuck again. As Chris notes, there are a few includes missing. Like him, I added these files from Kindle touch.

I came upon another naming mystery. Finkle!

Boardid.h defines BOARD_ID_TEQUILA, BOARD_ID_TEQUILA_EVT1 and BOARD_ID_TEQUILA_EVT2, but the compiler whines about BOARD_ID_FINKLE_EVT1 being undeclared in arch/arm/linux/setup.c

If Finkle is another piece of hardware, I assume it's safe to add a stub value for it?

I would like to thank Amazon for their care and attention to detail while generously making their obligatory GPL release.

[edit]
FYI Kindle 4.1 need KINDLE_VERSION defined in kindle_version.h, rather than VERSION_TAG.
Cat > blah > EOF from the BR 3.3 thread.

Yep... KINDLE_VERSION for the later models VERSION_TAG for the 3

IIRC Niluje reminded me of this somewhere on that thread.

Glad you caught it.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
pepijndevos
Connoisseur

Erm, the resulting uImage is a whole MB smaller than my backup and doesn't run. Sadly, I don't have a 1.8v USB serial yet, so i have no idea what's wrong.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Erm, the resulting uImage is a whole MB smaller than my backup and doesn't run. Sadly, I don't have a 1.8v USB serial yet, so i have no idea what's wrong.
Did you give the build an initramfs list or directory?
If not, that probably accounts for the size difference.

What command line options are you passing to the kernel?

How do you know that "it doesn't run" without a connection to the kernel operator's console port?

Did you build it with "network console" enabled instead of the serial port?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
pepijndevos
Connoisseur

I set the initramfs to an empty string, so i don;t think so.
I don't have a tequila .list, there is a joshime .list though, maybe I could try that.

Options to the kernel? No idea. I gave ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE to make. The rest is probably the defaults.

I don't know that it doesn't run, I just know the Kindle doesn't start with that kernel flashed to it.

Network console? No?! How does that work? I'll read the configs a bit...
Old 10-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
twobob

Grab a cable. check if it has booted at all.

You can always roll back to your older kernel if you need to actually use the device

Nice work on actually getting it to build! : D

step 1 done with