Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
patchespepper
patchespepper began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Problem Viewing Content

I have just downloaded a text in a chm format and tried using calibre to convert it to epub. At first glance, all looks fine, but then I realized that I can only view the cover page and table of contents (the first 17 pages). None of the chapters in the table of contents link to anything and the text of the book is not viewable. Any ideas on where I should start??? This is very new to me.
patchespepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use one of the many tools that convert CHM to html and then convert the html in calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
patchespepper

First, I want to thank you for your help so far... I used Tubby to convert my CHM to html. Now, I have what appears to be lots of folders and files which when put together will indeed form the entire book.

But how do I use calibre to somehow put all these separate files into one book?

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchespepper View Post
First, I want to thank you for your help so far... I used Tubby to convert my CHM to html. Now, I have what appears to be lots of folders and files which when put together will indeed form the entire book.

But how do I use calibre to somehow put all these separate files into one book?

Thanks for your help!
Import the 'master file' (might be :index.html)
Calibre will find all the pieces as long as the are in the same location (should be)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
patchespepper

All right... I'm sorry to be a pain... May have to take this slow since it's my first time!

I opened calibre and clicked on the book with a plus on it to add a book to my calibre library. I then found the folder with my original chm file and an additional folder created by Tubby. When I open this folder, there are other folders inside which contain sections of the book, and inside these folders are individual chapters. Each has an associated htm file, but there are no 'master files' which i can find.

Any ideas? Am I looking in the right place?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Is there a file with just the table of contents? Or a main file that starts the book which directs you to other pages?
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchespepper View Post
All right... I'm sorry to be a pain... May have to take this slow since it's my first time!

I opened calibre and clicked on the book with a plus on it to add a book to my calibre library. I then found the folder with my original chm file and an additional folder created by Tubby. When I open this folder, there are other folders inside which contain sections of the book, and inside these folders are individual chapters. Each has an associated htm file, but there are no 'master files' which i can find.

Any ideas? Am I looking in the right place?
If the master file is not in the folder with the original CHM, is there a folder that might be the first one in a series? ending in 0 or no number when the rest are numbered?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
patchespepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If the master file is not in the folder with the original CHM, is there a folder that might be the first one in a series? ending in 0 or no number when the rest are numbered?
You know what is interesting... When I fist converted the chm file, all I got were the first 17 pages, including the preface, contributors and table of contents. The table of contents had a bunch of hyperlinks, but they didn't send me to anything and I was never able to view anything but the first 17 pages.

Now that I have converted the original chm file to html using Tubby, I have all these files. I can convert them individually, but then I have a separate book for each chapter. But nowhere can I locate the table of contents. I tried converting the preface and contributors files, and it worked but it only showed those 3 or 4 pages, no way to view the entire book.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:40 AM   #9
lgladen
lgladen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgladen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgladen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: evo
Don't use choice #1 - add books from a single directory. Use the drop-down to choose "add books from directories, including subdirectories (One book per directory, assumes each ebook file is the same book in a different format)". Calibre will then assume all the html is a single book, and zip it up in one file. That zip can then be converted into any other of the formats that calibre supports. So far, every mish-mashed html book I've thrown at it it has been able to work out from the internal html code - it knows which file is supposed to follow which file, and where to place images, from links in the code itself.
lgladen is offline   Reply With Quote