Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2015, 05:18 AM   #226
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
And before the conspiracy theories start that Kobo is trying to lock down the devices, the stated reason for this new functionality is so people don't have to physically reset if the device has an issue -- i.e. this is for the people complaining about what would happen if they didn't have paperclip with them to reset it with and it froze. As I understand it this is designed to automatically reboot the device if it runs into a problem. No idea if this is going to be an easy thing to get around for modding or not (I'll leave that to the experts ).
But I like the idea of the watchdog neither, i don't like some mechanism that restarts the device when it thinks something is wrong.
We all know Kobo does great work,but we all do now also that they introduce a lot of bugs, don't solve old ones always.
If there is something wrong with the guarddog software or something else triggers it,you end with a device in some kind of bootloop.
It is the same as the option in windows, in stead of showing the BSOD with some info, it restarts..
So I hope Kobo or someone that is making the patches is making an option to put it off.
In an ideal world,the mechanism would not be triggered unless there is really something wrong but Kobo's environment isn't always the most stable one.
If i want to reboot it I use a paperclip and if you don't have it there is always something else to use,with other words,I want to have the control for a reset, not the device itself.

With all respect, just build this because people forget the paperclip..whats next.. a timer that put it out because people forget to go to sleep ?? Or a build in charger because people forget their own ??
A Swiss knife perhaps ?

Last edited by Nick_1964; 08-01-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:05 AM   #227
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
the stated reason for this new functionality is so people don't have to physically reset if the device has an issue
It's for the future generation of Kobo devices that no longer have a reset button
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2015, 06:11 AM   #228
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
It's for the future generation of Kobo devices that no longer have a reset button
That would be really stupid.. there are many of reasons to manually reset a device,a device should always have a reset button.
but: what is your source for this explanation ?
Old 08-01-2015, 06:23 AM   #229
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have plasic headed straight pin stuck into top edge of the reader's cover. I cut off point from this pin and filed cut end flat. Just insurance policy seldom used.

Last edited by filmo; 08-01-2015 at 02:57 PM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #230
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
When I first got my first Kobo, it was locking up quite a bit where I'd have to reset it. I just started carrying around a paperclip in my wallet for an emergency. And of course because I'm ready for that emergency while out reading for a day or longer, it's never locked up once while out. Just having the insurance seems to scare the lock ups away! Murphy's Law.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2015, 07:59 AM   #231
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
I have plasic headed straight pin stuck into top edge of the reade's cover. I cut off point from this pin and filed cut end flat. Just insurance policy seldom used.
I use an injection needle with cap, point filed off..
Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-Hypodermic_needle_with_needle_cap.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	140690
Old 08-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #232
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
But I like the idea of the watchdog neither, i don't like some mechanism that restarts the device when it thinks something is wrong.

With all respect, just build this because people forget the paperclip..whats next.. a timer that put it out because people forget to go to sleep ?? Or a build in charger because people forget their own ??
A Swiss knife perhaps ?
Once again people have to remember that those on Mobileread are a small slice of those who use any e-reader. And they are also more knowledgeable of their devices. My guess would be that outside of MR a large percentage of users wouldn't even know there is a reset button and this saves customer service having to deal with it. I was using the people who forget a paperclip as one example of why they might be doing it. There are no doubt a bunch more.
I understand where you're coming from, but I can think of about 1 time in the last year when I've had to paperclip reset, and TBH I'd have been just as happy if it reset itself because I don't keep a paperclip handy.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #233
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I'd have been just as happy if it reset itself because I don't keep a paperclip handy.
Did it really hang? Or did it reboot just in case? With forced reboots, you never know.

Right now I have a reproducible reboot: Browsing a collection with 47 books in it, and the books did not have their thumbnails created yet, causes sickel to reboot.

After killing/stopping sickel, I can browse the collection. It takes a bit longer to flip the page and you can watch the cover thumbnails being created, but it works.

Now, in my case my collections were created programmatically. Maybe the problem would not exist if you created them the normal way (book thumbnails would unlikely to be missing then).

But I still think it's a valid example that such a watchdog system is a double edged blade: In this case it caused a problem, rather than solve one.

It could display a confirmation dialog instead, what browsers do when JavaScript seems to be stuck in an endless loop. Just because nickel died doesn't mean the screen won't work anymore. It could tell you about pinhole reset method the same way. And it could be less aggressive, 5 seconds is not much.

It's complaining on a high level for sure, lets wait and see if other users have issues with it or not.

Last edited by frostschutz; 08-01-2015 at 01:31 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #234
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Please, wrong topic, delete.

Last edited by Nick_1964; 08-02-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #235
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Guys, please take the discussion of the 3.16.10 issues to it's discussion thread.

The auto-reboot is not happening in 3.16.0, and talking about it in this thread will only lead to plaintive cries from people worried about it affecting them in 3.16.0.

Last edited by murg; 08-02-2015 at 05:49 PM.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:47 AM   #236
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Guys, please take the discussion of the 3.16.10 issues to it's discussion thread.

The auto-reboot in not happening in 3.16.0, and talking about it in this thread will only lead to plaintive cries from people worried about it affecting them in 3.16.0.
/me stupid.. thought I was in there. Try to save something there and delete it here, sorry.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:09 PM   #237
miwo76
miwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemiwo76 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Glo HD - still on Firmware 3.15

Anyone still haven't received an update via Kobo?

I don't mind waiting, but since the new firmware was introduced around June 11th, I thought I might have received it by now...nearly 2 months later since I live in Toronto, Canada...practically blocks away from Kobo Canadian/Global headquarters downtown.

Any idea why Kobo likes to stagger their updates at a glacial pace to users? Is it a server/bandwidth issue?
miwo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #238
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwo76 View Post
Anyone still haven't received an update via Kobo?

I don't mind waiting, but since the new firmware was introduced around June 11th, I thought I might have received it by now...nearly 2 months later since I live in Toronto, Canada...practically blocks away from Kobo Canadian/Global headquarters downtown.

Any idea why Kobo likes to stagger their updates at a glacial pace to users? Is it a server/bandwidth issue?
No, it depends who is your affiliate.. How to change that is in this topic.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #239
pdops
Zealot
pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Touch
My Touch just updated but only on the second sync of the day.
pdops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #240
KTREADER
Updating
KTREADER began at the beginning.

Device: KT
KT Update 3.16 Problems - Buy Now

Updates are a problem every sync for me,since my current read is lost and collections fail.
Either collections are failing to save after re-boot or the search function is not working properly.

When my current read is added to collection and saved,opened and began reading,then reboot book is lost.

The home page is a mess in my opinion and is not as flexible as the last.

I'm thinking of reverting back to 3.15 or whatever the last update was.

What a pain in the a$$

Not sure what a H2O is
KTREADER is offline   Reply With Quote