Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #1141
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Here are all of The Dresden Files covers at 1181x1856.
Where are these covers coming from? There is a spelling mistake in one of the covers... See if you can spot it. It is a SMALL mistake (hint...).
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #1142
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Dresden Files stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Where are these covers coming from? There is a spelling mistake in one of the covers... See if you can spot it. It is a SMALL mistake (hint...).
They are from Austrailia, hence the letter U added to FAVOR as in Small Favour.

Quote:

Wow! Small Favor was a really really fun re-reading pleasure. I loved it! i-laughed-i-cried-it-was-better-than-chocolate.

Now I'm taking a short break in The Dresden Files re-read to read a 1964 novel by Robert A. Heinlein, Farnham's Freehold, an apocalyptic and mostly post-apocalyptic tale starting in the early 60's. It's actually a re-read for me as I've previously read pretty much everything that Heinlein wrote in his career. But I don't normally call anything I read pre-Kindle a re-read and this one I read almost 50 years ago.

Anyway, after this re-read I plan to re-read The Dresden Files books 11, 12 and 13. Then I'll be ready for Cold Days.
I just loved Farnham's Freehold! No wonder it was a favorite back when I first read it.

I decided to read a couple more non-Dresden titles before continuing to the last three. I read Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu and thought it a bit slow moving and not particularly exciting or suspenseful. Right now I'm partway through Frozen Heat by Richard Castle.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #1143
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Working my way through "Dead Beat". Things seem to get darker in each novel. Still loving the story.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #1144
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I'm in the middle of Changes, still on the fence about buying Ghost Story or skipping it and reading Cold Days when it's released.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #1145
DHNightshadow
Zealot
DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyager
So, the next one will be White Night, I am going to begin reading this evening. I like the series so much. An the interesing little hints of the future are all over the books.
I like this. Nice to have five books more to read. And then the wait begins.
DHNightshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #1146
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Working my way through "Dead Beat". Things seem to get darker in each novel. Still loving the story.
Yes, they do, don't they!? Only six more to read after you've read Dead Beat (You'll love Mouse and Butters and also you'll meet 'Sue' in this one!), Then you'll be all ready for Cold Days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I'm in the middle of Changes, still on the fence about buying Ghost Story or skipping it and reading Cold Days when it's released.
Oh go ahead and jump off the fence and you'll be glad you did! Borrow it from a library or something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHNightshadow View Post
So, the next one will be White Night, I am going to begin reading this evening. I like the series so much. An the interesing little hints of the future are all over the books.
I like this. Nice to have five books more to read. And then the wait begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylee Skylyn View Post
Yes, google is my friend but apparently Deviant Art hates me. Always has. I have never had luck with it...and getting an error on their search. (was more looking for the artists name, direct link?)

I'm very frustrated I can't remember where I left of...get to the end of a chapter and am like; "yep, read that...." but flip to far and I don't remember it but that could just be my silly memory being selective.

Kinda wonder if the library will get the new one as soon as it comes out and if so how long the waiting list for it will be.
Quote:
Here are several images that I got from the above link (they display a lot larger if you 'click' on each of them) out of over 1500 hits there.

Quote:
All Hail the Mighty Beetle by ~Mad-Queen1013
Fan Art / Digital Art / Painting & Airbrushing / Books & Novels ©2011-2012 ~Mad-Queen1013
A silly little something as I'm rereading the Dresden Files for the... 3rd? 4th? umpteenth time.

Harry's mighty Blue Beetle, stalwart crusader against the forces of darkness and alternative fuels.

Simple photomanip of a VW Beetle. I know Harry's has more dents, but ...

*SPOILER ALERT FOR CHANGES*
... after you die, I figure you can look as good as you want.
*/SPOILER*

Line is from Dead Beat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	all_hail_the_mighty_beetle_by_mad_queen1013-d3dmvm5.jpg
Views:	1495
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	95130

Cosplay: Molly Carpenter by ~priscellie
Artisan Crafts / Costumery ©2007-2012 ~priscellie
I dressed up as Molly Carpenter from The Dresden Files book series to meet the author Jim Butcher at the 2007 New York Comic Con. Jim took one look at my wig and shirt and burst out laughing. I don't know if he's ever gotten a non-Harry cosplayer before!

Unfortunately, I'm not very happy with any of the costume pictures I took at the con, so you're getting this shot I took at home when I was putting the costume together. I hadn't cut any holes in the fishnets yet or added the random safety pins yet, and I wasn't wearing any of makeup then, so I've given myself a slight makeover with Madame Photoshop, adding in the black lipstick and eye makeup. Ah well, better than nothing!

Pictures from the Con here!

The logo I designed for the SplatterCon!!! shirt is now official Jim-Butcher.com merchandise! Buy yours here!

Name:	Cosplay__Molly_Carpenter_by_priscellie.jpg
Views:	2156
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	95126

Cosplay: Molly Carpenter II by ~priscellie
Artisan Crafts / Costumery / Costumes / Cosplay & Role-Playing ©2010-2012 ~priscellie
My second take on a Molly Carpenter cosplay, from Jim Butcher's Dresden Files! While the costume doesn't precisely match the description in "Proven Guilty," I think I struck the right note this time! I first wore it at San Diego Comic Con in 2008, and I've worn it to a number of other cons since. It's my current favourite.

The SplatterCon!!! shirt is of my own design, hand-painted using a stencil. You can buy your own through the Jim-Butcher.com store.

I created the wig as well, starting with a white wig from CosWorx.com and coloring it with this dye recipe.

Bottom Left: With Harry cosplayer Matt Merback.
Bottom Right: With THE BRUCE. Apparently, SplatterCon!!! hosted a bigger name than Darby Crane...

Name:	Cosplay__Molly_Carpenter_II_by_priscellie.jpg
Views:	1720
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	95127

Cosplay: Warden Molly by ~priscellie
Artisan Crafts / Costumery / Costumes / Cosplay & Role-Playing ©2011-2012 ~priscellie
Possibly the most esoteric Dresden Files costume to date: Warden Molly! An alternate-future version of her character based on a SINGLE LINE of text from "Proven Guilty":

"A third faced me in a grey Warden’s cloak, though a burn scar, almost a brand, marred the roundness of her left cheek."

I was so busy having a blast at MarsCon that I didn't notice I hadn't gotten many good shots of the costume, so I'll have to make a point of getting better shots if I reprise it.

Thanks to Blaze for the gorgeous cloak and Matt (the above Harry) for lessons in burn scar application.

Name:	cosplay__warden_molly_by_priscellie-d3bl574.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	95128

Last edited by alansplace; 10-29-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #1147
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, they do, don't they!? Only six more to read after you've read Dead Beat (You'll love Mouse and Butters and also you'll meet 'Sue' in this one!), Then you'll be all ready for Cold Days!
Already love Mouse (see my avatar) and Butters is growing on me.

I think you've answered this before, but I'm too lazy to dig through this thread Where do the short stories, i.e. Side Jobs, fit in. Can they be read at any time or are there spoilers for certain novels?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #1148
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Already love Mouse (see my avatar) and Butters is growing on me.

I think you've answered this before, but I'm too lazy to dig through this thread Where do the short stories, i.e. Side Jobs, fit in. Can they be read at any time or are there spoilers for certain novels?
That's easy, each story in Side Jobs is labled, at the top, right below the title as to where it fits. Also Nyssa posted (in the first post of this thread) a link to a list of the 14 novels and all of the short/bonus stories available, including where they can be found and where they fit. That list is located in post #115.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-30-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: oops!
Old 10-30-2012, 03:44 AM   #1149
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I remember there are not real spoilers, but sometimes they make references to people you might not yet know. I would also skip the last story until you read Changes. Otherwise the spoiler would be too big...
Old 10-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #1150
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Don't. I think that Ghost Story is a very good Dresden book and I have the feeling that some parts of it will play an important part in the next books.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #1151
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Don't skip!! Although Ghost Story is not my favorite book, it is very important to the continuation of the series. I would highly suggest that you read it.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #1152
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I guess I better read it then. After all, it is a Dresden book
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #1153
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Already love Mouse (see my avatar) and Butters is growing on me....
Wow! I guess I never viewed your Avatar in the correct scale! That and there's a color mis-match with Mouse. Is your dog really a Tibetan Mastif?

Old 10-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #1154
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Wow! I guess I never viewed your Avatar in the correct scale! That and there's a color mis-match with Mouse. Is your dog really a Tibetan Mastif?

Looks like a Great Pyrenees to me.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #1155
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
No, unfortunately. I just like *big* dogs. Gina was a 125 lb female Great Pyrenees. The sweetest, gentlest dog I've ever had (she obviously loved the cats). She died of old age about 4 years ago.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy