Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 02:31 AM   #1
gillty
gillty began at the beginning.

Device: ebook virgin
Kobo touch and dictionary limitations

Gday all, potentential kobo touch purchaser - ebook newbie here,
could someone far more knowledgeable than me please explain why the dictionary only works on some ebooks.
As I am in australia, and with borders stores disappearing faster than an eye blink, I would imagine that I will be doing most of my ebook purchases online via computer then transferring. BUT would really love the dictionary function to work on all books.
Could someone please explain?
thanks in advance
gillty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Currently the only material the dictionary works on is those books downloaded from the Kobo web site in their own (kePub) format; ie stuff loaded either directly from the Kobo store to the Touch OR stuff loaded on to the Touch via the Kobo Desktop.

ePubs loaded via either Adobe Digital Edition, Calibre or direct copying to the unit will not support the dictionary.

This appears to be related to the two different eBook reading applications on the Kobo; one based on Adobe Mobile Technology (for ePubs) and the other (their own code) that handles kePub materials.

We are all hoping that at a later date this limitation will disappear.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
gillty

thanks PeterT for the explanation
from what I can gather, say on the sony650 etc the dictionary will work on pretty much anything...so given that I would really like to buy the kobo, what is the likelihood that this may be fixed in a future firmware???
Have any previous kobo books had the "full" dictionary feature, if they havent, then the possiblilty is that the kobo touch will never get it! And that might be a deal breaker
Old 06-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillty View Post
Have any previous kobo books had the "full" dictionary feature, if they havent, then the possiblilty is that the kobo touch will never get it! And that might be a deal breaker
Actually, the opposite is probably true. The Touch is getting features the older readers have not had.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
gillty

sorry folks I just saw this simliar thread - thanks for the input
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138705
Advert
Old 02-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
AndrewH7
Enthusiast
AndrewH7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Mine's OK! epub file lets 1 use English, German, French & Chinese; but other files only English & German, & 1 needs to remember word & type it in.
AndrewH7 is offline   Reply With Quote