Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 05:02 AM   #1
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Choosing a second e-reader device

Hi everyone

I am thinking on buying a second e-reading device - not something to substitute my Cybook (I believe no existing dedicated device can), but something with a (big) backlight screen that can offer something the Cybook (naturally) can't; something that allows me to read anything for 30 or 45 minutes, anyplace, without too much eye strain... Something portable, with good soffware available (my PSP would do it, if Sony was not so obtuse regarding third party aplications...).

I will, evidently, continue to use the Cybook as my main e-reading device.

I thought about the ipod touch. But it's touch screen does not please me that much, it is expensive and has a very reflective screen - a mate one would be better... (not an Apple fanboy here)

In the end, I am not even sure my intention is a very good one... Could it turn out to be a waste of money?

Regards
Nelson

Last edited by nelsonescorcio; 02-25-2009 at 05:06 AM.
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:01 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A PDA (Palm/Pocket PC) will give you much more flexibility than will an iPod Touch and, if you install MobiPocket Reader on it, will allow you to read the same books that you can on your CyBook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A PDA (Palm/Pocket PC) will give you much more flexibility than will an iPod Touch and, if you install MobiPocket Reader on it, will allow you to read the same books that you can on your CyBook.
I fully endorse HarryT's suggestion.
IN addition, if you have access to eBay, you can find devices, a bit older, like my Axim X50V or the Axim X51V, or similar from HP (do not remember the series) which also have a VGA display for a comparatively small price, today.
VGA means a very crisp character.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
nelsonescorcio
Zealot

You are most probably right.

And do you ACTUALLY use it? Does it has, in real life, any utility against a dedicated e-ink device?
Old 02-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post
You are most probably right.

And do you ACTUALLY use it? Does it has, in real life, any utility against a dedicated e-ink device?
You wanted a big screen, so...

I use a Viewsonic Airpanel 100 as my main ebook reader. It has a 10" LCD touch screen, and runs Windows CE. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I love how it handles PDFs. I also read Mobipocket and MSReader on it. I get around 5 hours battery life.

You can find it on Ebay.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I read on PDAs for 20-odd years before eInk devices appeared. Would I go back to it? Personally, no, because I find it convenient to carry my CyBook with me. If, however, you're after something smaller, a Pocket PC is an excellent "pocket size" device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
nelsonescorcio
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
You wanted a big screen, so...

I use a Viewsonic Airpanel 100 as my main ebook reader. It has a 10" LCD touch screen, and runs Windows CE. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I love how it handles PDFs. I also read Mobipocket and MSReader on it. I get around 5 hours battery life.

You can find it on Ebay.
Very, VERY interesting.

Thanks! I am already doing some searches... And rationalizing the need for buying it...
Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
nelsonescorcio
Zealot

Quote:
I read on PDAs for 20-odd years before eInk devices appeared. Would I go back to it? Personally, no, because I find it convenient to carry my CyBook with me.
HarryT, you tend to bring me back to earth.

Nate, I can't resist and I am reading the thread you started about the Viewsonic.
It seems great, but can it somehow chalange my Cybook, even in specific circunstances?
Probably not.
Hell, still want to buy one...

Last edited by nelsonescorcio; 02-25-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
I read on PDAs for 20-odd years before eInk devices appeared. Would I go back to it? Personally, no, because I find it convenient to carry my CyBook with me. If, however, you're after something smaller, a Pocket PC is an excellent "pocket size" device.
Again, I fully endorse HarryT. I've had similar experience, not for 20 years, but close to 10 already. I used to read on one of the first WindowsCE devices, an HP 840, if I remember. The good thing about these devices is that they are backlit, so you can read in bed with nothing else. Would I return to it ? Not as the main reader. Why ? Screen size, my Cybook is roughly the size of a pocketbook, which is very handy. But the character size is about the same, whther you read on a PDA or an ebook reader, so you only lose in reading area. And a PDA, the most energy economical ones, only last 5 to 8 reading hours (the oldest ones), whereas E-Ink can last you a couple of weeks, minimum (depending on the reading habits).
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
HarryT, you tend to bring me back to earth.

Nate, I can't resist and I am eading the thread you started about the Viewsonic.
It seems great, but can it somehow chalange my Cybook, even in specific circunstances?
Probably not.
Hell, still want to buy one...
Well, the Mobipocket Reader 4.8 I'm using has better annotation capabilities. I can create links from one part of an ebook to another. I can edit an ebook as well as add notes to the ebook (with the on screen keyboard). Bookmarking is also better in that I can name the bookmark. And then there is the simple fact that with a larger screen, more text is displayed (faster, too).

You might also consider the many things the Airpanel can do that the Cybook can't: games, note taking, PIM, Powerpoint, spreadsheet, MSWord, and many more. One thing I forgot to mention over in the other thread is that I can use the Airpanel to listen to internet radio and watch Youtube. The latter isn't very good becuase of the CPU, but it does work.

And then there is the PDF ability. I'm slowly working through all the scanned image PDFs I've accumulated over the years. It's one of the best PDF reading devices I've ever encountered, and that includes laptops and desktop PCs. The Airpanel has the advantage here becuase it is big enough to be useful, and it has a case that was designed to place the screen at the most comfortable viewing angles. This is the case you should have with your ebook reader. Unfortunately, no one makes one.

P.S. Your location says Portugal, so you might have trouble getting one shipped. I have a spare I can send to you at cost.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Viewsonic Airpanel 100 seems to be a rare object - most of the links I've googled are for accessories....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Viewsonic Airpanel 100 seems to be a rare object - most of the links I've googled are for accessories....
There is the one seller on Ebay. I think he he bought the contents of someone's warehouse. Here is a list of what he has:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDogBargain View Post
Hello everybody, my name is Jonny and I just stumbled upon your thread. I noticed some of you have purchased some of my viewsonic airpanel v100's. Well if there are any other members interested, or if you already have one and want another one, please send me an email at luckydogsales@gmail.com

We also have the following airpanels available: v110, v110p, v150, v150p,
- Docks available for v100, v110 and v210

Airsync available: v205, v210, v210x, v240

ViewPad100, viewpad 1000
Old 02-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
That must be the US site - 'cause there was nothing on the UK one ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
something that allows me to read anything for 30 or 45 minutes, anyplace, without too much eye strain... Something portable, with good soffware available (my PSP would do it, if Sony was not so obtuse regarding third party aplications...).
Not sure how big you want to go... also, what is your price range. But there are a few convertible/touchscreen netbooks out in the wild now.

Here's a thread about one/some of them. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34193

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #15
nelsonescorcio
Zealot

I think I have to think this through.

I do not want a substitute to my Cybook, and the Viewsonic does seem one to me. Same thing about any netbook.
So I will refrain myself. For now...

Maybe buying a second e-reader simply does not make much sense...
Maybe a should just wait (a few more months?) for the next Vizplex screen (better contrast). The txtr. The next Sony Reader. The next Cybook generation...

I really can't go back to backlight screens, so maybe I should just forget the "second device" concept.

Again, I must sleep on this.

Thanks you all!

Last edited by nelsonescorcio; 02-26-2009 at 05:41 AM.