Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #91
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
Yup, brightness now can go down to 2%. (I expect my ScreenDim sales are going to take a hit. But ScreenDim can push it further, down to 0.4%, which I think is better for using in complete darkness.)

And although they haven't quite fixed the subpixel rendering bug, I think they've improved things.

Now if only they hadn't broken the WPA2 key input.
I prefer ScreenDim -- love having presets. And removing the oh-too-bright backlights on my Droid X has been a godsend.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #92
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsoundguy View Post
I still prefer the ScreenDim app - 0.4% is perfect for nighttime….
The only thing I do on it at night is read and I use the black background with white text. I actually like the bright screen and I have it turned too around 90%.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:57 PM   #93
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
The only thing I do on it at night is read and I use the black background with white text. I actually like the bright screen and I have it turned too around 90%.
90%! That would burn my eyeballs!

I can't read that theme on the Fire all I see is my face not the text. I use Sepia
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #94
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
Okay, dumb question. If my KF is rooted, do I just unroot it with OTA RootKeeper and then install the update and all is well or do I have to follow the complex instructions on XDA forums?
@beej231 How did you do it?

Thanks.
My Fire is rooted. The update came wirelessly without me having to do anything.

(It's funny, I hadn't used my Fire in a while and I forgot it was rooted. I wanted the update so I downloaded it from Amazon to my pc and then to USB it across. But my PC couldn't see my Fire (because it was rooted, common problem) So I faffed around for 2 hours trying to get it detect it. Eventually success and transferred the bin folder over. ejected, then went to update. No dough, it was greyed out. Check my firmware, yep, in the 2 hours I was faffing around it had updated itself and the Bin file I transferred was still sitting there, untouched.)
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #95
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post

(It's funny, I hadn't used my Fire in a while and I forgot it was rooted. I wanted the update so I downloaded it from Amazon to my pc and then to USB it across. But my PC couldn't see my Fire (because it was rooted, common problem) So I faffed around for 2 hours trying to get it detect it. Eventually success and transferred the bin folder over. ejected, then went to update. No dough, it was greyed out. Check my firmware, yep, in the 2 hours I was faffing around it had updated itself and the Bin file I transferred was still sitting there, untouched.)
I had to change the bin to a zip and then all was well--after a day and a half of fooling around.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #96
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I usually have the display on to 100%, regular black on white when reading. I can't read otherwise...
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #97
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Just read this on the AZ forums for one of the unknown features of 6.3.3

"The App Manager got an update, too. There is no longer a My Apps option. Instead, it's rigged up by default for Automatic Update. If you want notification that your apps got updates, you now have to select that option. Updates are set to automatic AND SILENT by this new firmware. Stumbled on that while looking for something else! "

Anyone else notice this and if so do you prefer it or old way?
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #98
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Interesting.
While the keyboard is up and shown, hold from the left side and swipe to the right to change from alpha chars to numeric and symbols

the opposite way works to get them back
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #99
MikeGolf
Connoisseur
MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
Interesting.
While the keyboard is up and shown, hold from the left side and swipe to the right to change from alpha chars to numeric and symbols

the opposite way works to get them back
OK that must be an April fools joke. I just fell for it about10 times.
MikeGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #100
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
Just read this on the AZ forums for one of the unknown features of 6.3.3

"The App Manager got an update, too. There is no longer a My Apps option. Instead, it's rigged up by default for Automatic Update. If you want notification that your apps got updates, you now have to select that option. Updates are set to automatic AND SILENT by this new firmware. Stumbled on that while looking for something else! "

Anyone else notice this and if so do you prefer it or old way?
It is not set to Automatic Update by default unless that option was enabled by the user prior to the App Manager update. My default shows "disabled" since that was my selection prior to the update.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #101
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
With all the issues cropping up, I would bet on another update that addresses a lot of the current issues by the end of the month or first week of May.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #102
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
With all the issues cropping up, I would bet on another update that addresses a lot of the current issues by the end of the month or first week of May.
Well, you called it right the first time, so I'm not betting against you. Here's hoping you go two for two.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #103
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Goodness, I hope so!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #104
ToeRag
ToeRag began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (2) & Kindle Fire (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post

I've found a little trick that ALWAYS works for me trying to get my Kindle to be detected as a removable drive.

after it's plugged in and the "connected" USB screen is displayed on the KF, go into device manager and under "Disk Drives" locate the Kindle Fire - NOT the ADB device entry.

right click properties/policies and toggle the radio button to the opposite of what ever it is set for...

optimize for performance / optimize for quick removal

then click OK

you should see the device manager screen refresh, and your Kindle should become "visible" to your system.

You can go back in and toggle the setting back if you like....

don't know why but this works for me EVERYTIME!
ToeRag is offline   Reply With Quote