Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #16
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
It isn't the ebook that is killing the libraries, it's the internet. . .

I think the internet is becoming the repository of intellectual property for us all. What have the libraries traditonal function been? I think they have traditionally been the communal storehouse of intellectual treasure. Public libraries were the assurance that the treasure would be available to anyone regardless of resources.

The internet has really thrown a monkey wrench into that set up. For a while, I thought we would return to the pay library model for the internet, but there has been SOME movement to internet lending by public libraries. It's a very WEAK movement to be sure, but the rock bottom pricing some people are predicting may kill it.

The fact that the publishers are trying to wring every cent out of their property, has tossed yet ANOTHER monkey wrench into the works. They might kill libraries, but they also might just save them by the libraries being a model for inexpensive public access that they, the publishers, understand, can live with, and maybe even feel good about.

I have no idea how this will shake out!

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 03-06-2011 at 05:23 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #17
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Free is hard to beat
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:46 AM   #18
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Why waste money on books when equally good free ones exist?
Equally good?

You are right that there are some darned fascinating things to be read for free.

But should an author labor for a year to research, write and rewrite and finally produce an excellent piece of work and then not be paid for it? Free misses an awful lot of what's great.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
Equally good?

You are right that there are some darned fascinating things to be read for free.

But should an author labor for a year to research, write and rewrite and finally produce an excellent piece of work and then not be paid for it? Free misses an awful lot of what's great.
Of course they should be paid; it's just that I'm not into modern fiction. I much prefer the classics; especially 18th and 19th century works. Since this stuff is free and there's more than I can read in my lifetime, I see no need to buy and read modern fiction.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote