Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
shane.hamilton
shane.hamilton began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Unhappy Calibre very slow

Calibre is running ridiculously slow. I changed the Author via bulk updating on 276 documents, it was capping 1 core for 2 hours before I just left it going and went to bed. Searching takes a good minute for each key press.

Now, my authors need to be cleaned up and I'm thinking this is where the problem lies (too many folders in the Calibre library due to incorrectly formatted file names and some bad files). My question is, are there any tips to speed things up (tell calibre to not load something maybe?) until I can straighten out my library (it's going to take a while).

I really like the program by the way, keep up the good work.
shane.hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What version of calibre are you using? There were bugs in a couple of versions that could cause unusual slowness.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
shane.hamilton

Newest verson. 0.7.9.

I'm pretty sure it's the folder structure in its current form. I opened it with explorer just to check, it lagged a bit when opening so I imagine any changes/queries Calibre is spitting out are receiving the same lag time (just multiplied due to multiple queries).

Last edited by shane.hamilton; 07-21-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try this build (there is a bug in 0.7.9 that affects some windows users):

http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/b...ibre-0.7.9.msi
Old 07-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
shane.hamilton

I'll do that when I get home in a few hours, but the slow down was in 0.7.8 as well, I only upgraded last night.
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah in that case it probably wont help. You'll just have to rationalize your folders. I do remember reading somewhere that windows filesystems can't deal with large numbers of nodes ina single folder
Old 07-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
shane.hamilton

Just to clarify a bit, transferring books to my device takes no time at all. Anything requiring a search or change to folder structure (changing an author, adding/deleting a book) takes forever.

There are over 20000 authors. Not real authors, as I said, names need to be fixed and I need to remove a lot of duplicates/triplicates etc, which is difficult to do when every action requires you to wait a few minutes.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
shane.hamilton

Hmm, maybe I'll transfer my library to my linux drive then. Then transfer it back after I clean it up. Any way to port over a library without having to reimport the books?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ter-to-another

Note that the way to choose library locations has changed, click the calibre button in the toolbar instead of going to preferences.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
shane.hamilton

Nice and simple. Thanks for all of your help. I'll try the linux option tonight. The wife'll just have to suck it up and boot into a real OS for once

Tags
calibre, performance, slow