Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want to buy a Bookeen eink reader?
I would pay no more than $200.00USD 20 21.05%
I would buy two at no more than $200.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would buy three at no more than $200.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would pay no more than $250.00USD 13 13.68%
I would buy two at no more than $250.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would buy three at no more than $250.00USD each 0 0%
I would pay no more than $300.00USD 16 16.84%
I would buy two at no more than $300.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would buy three at no more than $300.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would pay no more than $350.00USD 25 26.32%
I would buy two at no more than $350.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would buy three at no more than $350.00USD each 0 0%
I would pay no more than $400.00USD 10 10.53%
I would buy two at no more than $400.00USD each 2 2.11%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:09 AM   #16
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
If ereader, mobipocket and ubook were available then all of the other issues re: formatting would mostly be resolved. Ubook, for sure, offers search, highlighting, annotations, hierarchal storage, and so forth. Given bookeen's past relationship with gowerpoint, I would hope that they could get something like that worked out.

I would pay $50 more per unit for an integrated light source. A good booklight can easily cost $20+ and to have something integrated would be worth an extra amount.

I do think the price point should be around the Sony Reader and if there was an integrated booklight, I think other consumers would be interested.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #17
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Speaking for me now, I think that an eink device without touch pad could have an inboard engineered plexiglass wedge as a screen protector. Of course battery duration would suffer. This kind of an apparatus could not go without user replaced battery design...

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 12-13-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #18
Pickle
Enthusiast
Pickle began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for some time just waiting for the perfect eink device to come along. I had to register to vote for this because it looks like Bookeen's reader might be the best opportunity.

I voted for one at $350, but if they could get it down to $300 or less I'd consider buying two. As far as features go. I pretty much want the same thing as everyone else and if Bookeen is willing to listen to their customers I trust the readers of this forum to decide what's necessary.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:11 AM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
A point: in order to do searching, the hardware has to support it (I know this is a 'duh' ), and since I don't see any way to do text entry otherwise, either a touch screen or some sort of add on keyboard is going to have to be there for searching.

I know that's an obvious point, but I don't want it to get overlooked.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:21 AM   #20
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How about a full USB port to plug a portable keyboard?
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, that'd work, yvanleterrible.

It also occurs to me that it might be tough to make a lightwedge and a touch screen work together....
Old 12-13-2006, 12:11 PM   #22
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'd rather have the touchscreen than an external keyboard. Reason: you get a lot of extra functionality with a touch screen, e.g. selection, mouse-like behavior, sketch, scribble, etc. I just think it would be much more "paper-like."

Why would a touchscreen not work with a lightwedge? (I haven't seen a lightwedge in person, only pictures.)

Last edited by nekokami; 12-13-2006 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Reasoning
Old 12-13-2006, 12:14 PM   #23
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

The plexy is thick, reducing the effectiveness of your contact with the screen.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:47 PM   #24
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
The plexy is thick, reducing the effectiveness of your contact with the screen.
Could one put the touch sensor on top of the lightwedge, or is it not flat, as the name implies?
Old 12-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #25
stxopher
Nameless Being

If I was going to wish?

First, make it tougher instead of pretty. I LIKE taking my ereader with me. (Hmmmm, rubberized texture and water resistance.)

Second, 2 memory slots. Yes, I said 2. One for storage and one for reader program hooks so that whatever program needed to read with can just be popped in like a game cartridge. (Hey, if they insist on a different reader for every book and every font, might as well just load them when you need them.)

That's two wishes. One for each hand. Oddly enough, they don't seem any fuller than before.

As for reality, agree with better file organization and some sort of document navigation ability.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:23 PM   #26
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
Could one put the touch sensor on top of the lightwedge, or is it not flat, as the name implies?
Remember that it is really a wedge, thicker on one side than on the other, kind of difficult to put something over it. The wedge is what creates the evenness of light dispersion across the undersurface.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:43 PM   #27
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Others have made plenty of sensible comments about features. It seems to me that any request that involves custom development will likely price the device out of reach for a small order (under a 1000 or so units).

Y'all have probably seen my rant about the physical ergonomics of the Sony reader. Doing significantly better than that would be high on my list of desired features. (A page-bar like the iLiad might help...) Open source Linux-based system would allow porting, and so is good. Lastly, support for rotating so any of the four edges of the device is the "top" seems like a darned good idea.

Xenophon
Old 12-13-2006, 01:50 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon
...support for rotating so any of the four edges of the device is the "top" seems like a darned good idea.
Does to me too.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:28 PM   #29
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Remember that it is really a wedge, thicker on one side than on the other, kind of difficult to put something over it. The wedge is what creates the evenness of light dispersion across the undersurface.
With that in mind, I myself would rather have a touchscreen than a lightwedge. But the rest of the market may not agree with me. (I can always keep saving my pennies for an iLiad.)
Old 12-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #30
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
With that in mind, I myself would rather have a touchscreen than a lightwedge. But the rest of the market may not agree with me. (I can always keep saving my pennies for an iLiad.)
Yeah, I'd like a touch screen too! But as a "nice to have" rather than a "required".
Closed Thread