Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Public Domain in 2011

I saw today that John P. Marquand died in 1960. So my first thought was that The Late George Appley and the Mr. Moto books will enter the public domain in Canada on January 1.

And I saw in another thread that Albert Camus died in 1960 as well.

Anyone know who else died in 1960 whose works we can look forward to?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
"Fantastic Fiction" Authors who died in 1960
  • William Ard
  • Lady Cynthia Asquith
  • Eric Temple Bell
  • Massimo Bontempelli
  • Albert Camus (already mentioned)
  • William L Chester
  • E Douglas Fawcett
  • John Russell Fearn
  • Harry Harper
  • Zora Neale Hurston
  • John P Marquand
  • Boris Pasternak ("Dr. Zhivago")
  • Eden Phillpotts
  • Victor Rousseau
  • Dorothy Strachey
  • Richard Wright
  • Dornford Yates

Others:
Oscar Hammerstein II
Vicki Baum
H. L. Davis
Seumas MacManus
Nevil Shute
Francis Parker Yockey
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks Elfwreck!

Not too many on those lists that I have heard of.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thanks Elfwreck!

Cheer up, Hemmingway in 2012....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thanks Elfwreck!

Me neither, but Asquith and Hurston are both on my friends' recommended author lists, and Shute's On the Beach is likely to join classic PD science fiction/apocalyptic collections. Hammerstein's lyrics will be nice to have freely available. (Rodgers' music will still be locked for another 19 years.)

A few of the other names sound familiar, but not many.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Hurston's _Their Eyes Were Watching God_ is on my short list of best books ever. So is Shute's _On the Beach_ .

It seems like Jefferson's argument about the validity of "intellectual property" is fast becoming something we're going to have to evaluate actively and now.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:41 AM   #7
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Most of them I don't know, except for Richard Wright with "Native Son" (one of my alltime favorites), and Boris Pasternak - maybe then I finally get myself to read Dr. Zhivago
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The great Dashiell Hammett died in 1961 ... tick ... tick ... tick ... !
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:28 AM   #9
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
LOL. Google search for Dr. Zhivago eBook ended up here. Now I just need to make the short drive north, find a wifi hotspot, and download it legally...

Of course, as I do not speak Russian, I would need the translation, which came out in 1958 and was performed by Wm Collins Sons & Co. and renewed in 1986 by Random House. Wonder what the law on that is?
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
weatherwax
Guru
weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650 (red), Kindle PW2, Galaxy Note 8
Foreign language authors' books may become PD in Canada in their original language but for other languages, the translators' time of dead becomes relevant as well.
Good that most authors on the list wrote in English ...
weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote