Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
batgirl
Enthusiast
batgirl doesn't litterbatgirl doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook360
PocketBook 360 compatibility with Mac

I have a Powerbook running 10.4.x. Will I be able to use the 360 with it?

Last edited by mtravellerh; 12-15-2009 at 05:02 AM.
batgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl View Post
I have a Powerbook running 10.4.x. Will I be able to use the 360 with it?
Yes. Works fine. There seems to be a small issue with unmounting the device but that is absolutely harmless!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Yes. The unmounting of Pocketbook is an interesting thing. I believe that it was made on purpose - not to react on "eject" command and be ready to safely disconnected any time))
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
My experience with a 301 on OSX 10.6.2 is that if I eject it remounts again right away but if I run the Disk Utility and unmount the volumes without an eject it works fine. I assume the 360 works the same way.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:20 AM   #5
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
My experience with a 301 on OSX 10.6.2 is that if I eject it remounts again right away but if I run the Disk Utility and unmount the volumes without an eject it works fine. I assume the 360 works the same way.
Yes. I don't do any moves to unmount a device, be it 360 or 301, just plug the wire off)
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Did I mention that I also have a Mac, iMac actually and all my PBs mount and unmount w/o any trouble.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:58 AM   #7
pakiyabhai
Zealot
pakiyabhai began at the beginning.

Device: pakiyabhai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Did I mention that I also have a Mac, iMac actually and all my PBs mount and unmount w/o any trouble.

Which iMAC do you have ? the new ones ?
pakiyabhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Yes. The unmounting of Pocketbook is an interesting thing. I believe that it was made on purpose - not to react on "eject" command and be ready to safely disconnected any time))
No it's a bug/forget from netronix, not a on purpose reaction
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakiyabhai View Post
Which iMAC do you have ? the new ones ?
Well... it's not THE NEWEST and THE COOLEST 28-inch monitor monster))), but a last years edition of iMacs with 24-inch screen and almost all bells-n-whistles... 2.8Ghz processor, etc.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
No it's a bug/forget from netronix, not a on purpose reaction
Really? I liked to think about it as a special feature, aimed at making life easier for those who like everything quick and zag against the general zig)OK, it's just me)
Old 01-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #11
batgirl
Enthusiast

Help! So I got my new PocketBook 360 but I can't get it to mount on my powerbook. PB360 says "connected to PC" but it doesn't show on my laptop.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl View Post
Help! So I got my new PocketBook 360 but I can't get it to mount on my powerbook. PB360 says "connected to PC" but it doesn't show on my laptop.
Do you have another cable to try?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #13
batgirl
Enthusiast

Yes, I tried another cable. Still no luck.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #14
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

it's sad...
What I can suggest is to go and try this device on other Mac or/and PC computer... if it mounts than it's the Mac is to blame, I mean, PBs somehow don't work with this particular breed of Macs... if it doesn't - than it's PB itself, something wrong with it...
Old 01-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #15
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
OK, the issue of "ejecting" readers from Mac OS X pops up every now and then, so perhaps we need a sticky somewhere, but I'm not sure where. It's a Mac "problem" and occurs with various devices - there's actually nothing wrong, you just have to know how to unmount the device correctly. I'm sure I've posted this in other places on this forum, but couldn't find the link (I also posted it over on the BeBook forum back in April 2009).

I use a little app called "Hidden Cleaner" - I found it very good but not too intuitive at first. It is in fact exceedingly simple to use, once you know how. So here are my tips based on my usage experience with Hidden Cleaner (I haven't tried other tools like BlueHarvest myself, but it also looks OK):

Installation:

(1) Download Hidden Cleaner:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id...hidden-cleaner
http://kerosene.free.fr/ (developer's page - here you can find 2.0 beta1 & 1.2.1)
(there's a bunch of download places if you just google "mac os x hidden cleaner" - it's free!)

Note: Snow Leopard users need 2.0 beta 1, but I recommend using v1.2.1 on Leopard or below - the developer's site is in French and they advise "beacoup prudence" using 2.0 as it is in beta - I decided to play with it and it works, but I recommend using 1.2.1 until they do a formal v2.0 release.

(2) Depending where you downloaded from, either mount the disk image (HiddenCleaner_1.2.1.dmg) or unzip the file (HiddenCleaner_1.2.1.zip) and drag the "Hidden Cleaner 1.2.1" app to your Applications folder, as per usual. Eject the disk image (if using the .dmg file).

(3) If you now open the Hidden Cleaner app (double-click) you just get a nice little info message which tells you in French and English to "Simply drag your external device onto Hidden Cleaner to clean and eject it". If you click OK it close, and that's all the info you get - not too helpful.

Usage:

(4) To make the best use of Hidden Cleaner, open your Applications folder in Finder and drag the Hidden Cleaner application icon onto the Dock and release it. Once there, click and hold the mouse on the icon to reveal the context menu (or ctrl-click, or right mouse click if you have a two-button mouse). From the menu select "Keep in Dock". I place it in the first position for easy access as I use it often (far right of the dock just before the special stacks area that contains the trash can, applications stack, downloads stack, etc.).

(5) Now Hidden Cleaner will always be in the Dock, and when you need to clean and eject your USB drive, SD card, BeBook, etc., just drag the external drive's icon from the Desktop onto the Hidden Cleaner Dock item and a little pop-up will appear with the message: "Ejection?" - if you click OK the app will take a few seconds to clean and eject the drive, depending on size/type of device (BeBook takes longer because it's only USB 1.1). Once the device icon disappears from the Desktop you can safely remove it from the USB cable.

Note: Sometimes the device cleaning/ejection takes some time (20-30 secs), and the device may not eject. You will notice this because the little Hidden Cleaner "busy" mouse indicator (rotating black/white wheel) returns to the normal mouse arrow, and the active application indicator under the Hidden Cleaner Dock icon disappears, but your drive icon is still on the desktop (i.e. still mounted). I think there may be some kind of timeout in the app for the unmount/eject commands. Anyway, if this happens, just repeat the procedure by dragging the drive icon onto the Hidden Cleaner Dock icon and acknowledging the "Ejection?" query. The device should then clean and eject correctly (usually very quickly as the cleaning was completed the first time around).

eBook Devices:

(6) As for eBook devices, I usually only plug in my SD/microSD card via a card reader, so the above procedure works fine. But when I do connect my device directly (PB360, BeBook, etc.) after I'm done I use Hidden Cleaner to first clear off the hidden Mac files. The device (PB360, BeBook, etc.) will clean and eject, then remount within a few seconds. So here's what to do:

(7) Once I have cleaned the device in this way and it has remounted, I then use "Disk Utility" (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility) to select the BeBook volume and then choose "Unmount" - remember to choose the volume, not the device itself (in the list of devices on the left of Disk Utility you will see first the physical device, then all the logical volumes on that device - your eBook reader should only have one volume, unless you've partitoned it into more for some reason), and choose "Unmount" rather than "Eject" (if you eject the volume will just remount a few seconds later). Once unmounted, the device can be safely disconnected from your Mac.

Sounds troublesome, but it's quick and easy once you know what to do.

Note: I usually never connect my BeBook or PB360 to the Mac with an SD card inserted. In principle it should be fine, but why tempt fate? I have all my books on the SD card and manage that with a card reader, and the one time I connected my PB360 with an SD card in, when I cleaned then unmounted both volumes, the PB360 restarted and gave me an error reading the SD card. A reboot fixed the problem, but I had lost all the bookmarks and the page of the book I was reading (opened at page 1). So I would avoid it for now. The PB360 has a little bug when it comes to the SD card - if you boot the device it will not read the card at first, and as soon as you click something like "Books" the device reboots and finds the card. Never has a problem, and takes only 5-10 seconds, but clearly there's a bit of a bug in the software, so I recommend always connecting the two memory devices to your computer separately.

Alternative Method:

Apparently there's another method that I haven't tried:

If you are using OS X 10.5 or newer you don't need to install any software to clean the ._ files.

You just need to open the Terminal and type:

Code:
dot_clean /"path to folder of device"
usually when mounted the path is something like:

Code:
/Volumes/BEBOOK
so you just need to open the terminal and do

Quote:
dot_clean /Volumes/BEBOOK
(The Terminal is in the Utilities Folder in the Applications folder)

I hope this lengthy post helps!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote