Yes. 51 32.28%
No. 107 67.72%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #46
ny10522
Enthusiast
ny10522 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Kindle2, Kindle Touch 3G, Ipod Touch
Yes. Fortunately I was able to return my Kindle 2. Hope the font is a little darker on the DX. Hard to believe they didn't include something as basic as folder support.

Passed on the case. The official Kindle 2 case slowly distorted (in a month!) from closing flat due to the weight of the device and holding it with one hand. Will go with an outside vendor this time and look for something that attaches with bands or velcro.
ny10522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #47
KarlB
Enthusiast
KarlB began at the beginning.

Device: clay tablet
I'm going to wait to see if Apple comes out with a tablet computer of some kind (as they're rumored to be). If it can run a Kindle app (like the iPhone) and has a big color touch screen, it might really be a "Kindle DX killer", for me anyway. The eInk screen has never been much of a selling point on the Kindle for me; I'd prefer a nice bright backlit LCD.
KarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #48
Johannes
Enthusiast
Johannes began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad
This is what I've been waiting for. I read a lot of PDFs on my laptop and Asus 901. I'm not bother about the absence of a folder structure. For me there are only two downsides: 1) I will leave the US in about 2 years time and return to Europe, and from that moment on I will loose connectivity via Sprint. This in itself would not be a big problem were it not for downside 2): no WiFi (don't understand why that wasn't added). Anyway, two years is not tomorrow. So I ordered my K-DX today.
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:10 AM   #49
rampo
rampo began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Kindle1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_hand View Post
I have ordered one but may cancel once the information on subsidized units is available, aka Newspaper subscription.
Today's Washington Post article about the DX had a bit to say about newspapers subsidizing units:
This summer, The Post plans to launch a trial program in an area of Baltimore where home delivery of the newspaper isn't available. The idea is that Kindle-using subscribers would pay a reduced price for the device in return for a commitment to a Post download subscription, said Stephen P. Hills, the paper's president and general manager.

"Our hope is to understand how people experience our brand on this relatively new type of device and how we might take advantage of the increased adoption of e-readers," he said. Many of the program's details are still in the works.

The Times and the Boston Globe, which was threatened with the prospect of bankruptcy this week, have also partnered with Amazon to offer a similar type of trial program.
rampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:53 AM   #50
alrumich
Enthusiast
alrumich doesn't litteralrumich doesn't litter

Device: PRS-700, iPod Touch, Samsung Q1U, HP Pavilion tx2500
It has a big screen and native support for PDF. These are the main features I need - all my readings are in PDF (grad school, you know). However, I will stick to Sony PRS700 for now and will wait for reviews. But, I am really excited about DX.
alrumich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #51
numindast
Enthusiast
numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K2, DX (had PRS500, 505, 700)
My pre-order is in. No case/cover yet; this'll be my PDF-format device, I am probably going to keep my K2 for its more convenient size.

As for lack of buttons on the left: I noticed, while watching the video demos, that the guy in the video frequently had the K-DX propped up against his legs or similar. Hmm. I'm ambidextrous (dominant southpaw, though) but I think I'll miss the left hand buttons too.

If I do get a travel case, it'll be like Belkin's neoprene sippered sleeve.

Fun!

If I keep my K2 (likely) than the Whispernet sync will come in REAL handy methinks! Here's a scenario: commute to home reading on the K2, get home & do the chores, dinner, etc. When it's time I can relax, curl up with the K-DX and resume where I left off. Neat. (Aside from having to turn wireless on for each device to sync, and then back off to preserve battery...)
numindast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #52
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
I think I am going to preorder it. I have many pdf's and formating to mobi sux amazon does a better job then calibre. i need native pdf support.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:20 AM   #53
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I don't have a K2, but my gf has one. If I could get a bigger one than hers, I would get more respect at home.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #54
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Not going for the Kindle DX, although it is a nice improvement/alternative. I would instantly jump on such a large-screen e-ink device if Sony came out with one. I love my Sony Reader and don't need/want whispernet (hey, I *like* 2-3 weeks of reliable battery life!), but would like to read all sorts of pdfs directly without the tiny font or iffy reformatting.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #55
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlB View Post
I'm going to wait to see if Apple comes out with a tablet computer of some kind (as they're rumored to be). If it can run a Kindle app (like the iPhone) and has a big color touch screen, it might really be a "Kindle DX killer", for me anyway. The eInk screen has never been much of a selling point on the Kindle for me; I'd prefer a nice bright backlit LCD.

Hopefully Apple will use their epic design foo to make it light and comfy to hold. Since eink is so power conservative, it cuts down on the heat and the size of the battery. The Kindle DX is only slightly over 1lb. Apple got the Air into 3lbs so a 1lb tablet seems quite possible by them, but the Air only gets about 4 hours of battery life. This is why I'm hopeful about the Pixel Qi stuff. Sure, if you want to use backlight like a regular LCD the battery life won't be that great but most of the times you're reading, you won't need backlight so if you need to stretch your battery life, you have a choice.

I also agree that I want a touchscreen. I don't like the current Kindle annotation method. It's a bit cumbersome. I don't do a lot of annotation but I would with a large reader.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #56
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
What is the return window. I bought a Kindle 2 back in early April. I would have waited for the DX if I had known it was coming out soon.
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #57
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
30 days to return. So you're probably just outside the window, so you may want to call Amazon up and see if they'll make an exception if you complain about them not announcing the DX sooner.

If not, then you could just put the K2 on Craigslist and probably get back about what you paid for it to put toward the DX.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #58
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Hopefully Apple will use their epic design foo to make it light and comfy to hold. Since eink is so power conservative, it cuts down on the heat and the size of the battery. The Kindle DX is only slightly over 1lb. Apple got the Air into 3lbs so a 1lb tablet seems quite possible by them, but the Air only gets about 4 hours of battery life. This is why I'm hopeful about the Pixel Qi stuff. Sure, if you want to use backlight like a regular LCD the battery life won't be that great but most of the times you're reading, you won't need backlight so if you need to stretch your battery life, you have a choice.

I also agree that I want a touchscreen. I don't like the current Kindle annotation method. It's a bit cumbersome. I don't do a lot of annotation but I would with a large reader.
Yeah, something that I can easily write annotations on is a must for me to every consider an electronic reader for my academic PDFs.

While I love E ink for leisure reading, it's less of an issue for work-related reading since that's done less often and for shorter stretches usually, so I could definitely live with an LCD screen as long as the stylus writing worked well. I've struggled with the couple of Tablet PCs I've tried out thus far. I write small and have terrible penmanship so I really struggled to write quickly and legibly.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #59
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
I agree. Personally I would never read for pleasure on an LCD screen for but work it's fine for short periods of time. I always have my laptop with me for work and my PDFs technical PDF's are all on there. Indexing/searching is very fast and convenient these days, either with Windows Search or Beagle on Linux. Carrying a second device just isn't necessary.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #60
freecia
Enthusiast
freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 3 3g+wifi, kindle 2, kindle 1
It would have been useful during grad school but at this point, no. I might apply the money to the new iPhone instead.

I've finally setup my systems to do PDF conversion to mobi/prc with a wide variety of conversion software. The only thing I'd pay for at this point is drm pdf support. And even so, I'd rather pay just for the firmware upgrade as the K2 fits into my purse/travel bag. I don't need to worry about the screen flexing and breaking as it is still fairly small.
freecia is offline   Reply With Quote