Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Tablet aiming at the low end

They are really a step down from the previous models, 10 inch screen and 149 ppi, Yikes !
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I agree. There's times my HD6 lags or freezes. Can you imagine what will happen with the 10" using the same processors?
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not gonna be pretty
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The 10" seems to be selling better than the 8", if you look at the best sellers in electronics.

Link

(I'm miffed that the $49 one doesn't come in orange....if it did I would have it in my wish list).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The 10" seems to be selling better than the 8", if you look at the best sellers in electronics.

Link

(I'm miffed that the $49 one doesn't come in orange....if it did I would have it in my wish list).
I am going to give the $49 7" a whirl because I was nothing but disappointed with my 6". I do not know if it was an issue with my 6", my account or all the HD 6s in general. But I hated when I turned mine on I would have to wait for it to rebuild my library for several minutes. It got to the point that I had to turn it on 10 minutes or more before I wanted to use it just for it to be ready when I wanted to use it. And honestly, who remembers to do that? I am 80% sure the problem comes from the Fire trying to update to all the collection changes from my paperwhite.

I just hope the 2015 version does not have this issue, but if it does I am returning it within the 30 days. Because honestly the only thing I want this new version for is the sd memory. I don't like having to keep remembering to update my kingston drive with new files.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I do not know if it was an issue with my 6", my account or all the HD 6s in general. But I hated when I turned mine on I would have to wait for it to rebuild my library for several minutes. It got to the point that I had to turn it on 10 minutes or more before I wanted to use it just for it to be ready when I wanted to use it. And honestly, who remembers to do that?
My HD 6" is slow when I first turn on wifi. My girls' are too, and my books are blocked on theirs. So I don't know if the books cause the slowness, or the processor, or some behind the scenes syncing of apps, or what. But yeah, the HD 6 is a slow device, in my experience.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The one thing I _do_ like in the new tablets is the ability to add storage via a microSD card. That changes things for when I travel and want to download several videos to the tablet, since no way I'm going to be able to stream HD content on most hotel WiFi! This is enough of a game changer for me that I suspect I'll buy the 8". Purely as a streaming device, and I'll add the 128 GB microSD, and configure it with the maximum internal memory.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I am going to give the $49 7" a whirl because I was nothing but disappointed with my 6". I do not know if it was an issue with my 6", my account or all the HD 6s in general. But I hated when I turned mine on I would have to wait for it to rebuild my library for several minutes. It got to the point that I had to turn it on 10 minutes or more before I wanted to use it just for it to be ready when I wanted to use it. And honestly, who remembers to do that? I am 80% sure the problem comes from the Fire trying to update to all the collection changes from my paperwhite.

I just hope the 2015 version does not have this issue, but if it does I am returning it within the 30 days. Because honestly the only thing I want this new version for is the sd memory. I don't like having to keep remembering to update my kingston drive with new files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
My HD 6" is slow when I first turn on wifi. My girls' are too, and my books are blocked on theirs. So I don't know if the books cause the slowness, or the processor, or some behind the scenes syncing of apps, or what. But yeah, the HD 6 is a slow device, in my experience.
My HD6 fires right up; ready to go. I don't notice any slowness.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:

It seems doubtful that the new tablet will be any better: has a slower cpu and soon, same Fire OS. While having fewer pixels on a larger screen, and slightly less battery capacity. More likely, the new OS will confer some performance benefits. But if the problem is with your collection sync, that may not help either.

I am gonna stick it out with HD6, and am looking forward to the update and new features. Not having any particular performance issues however.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Don't really have a lot of issues with my Fire6. I have a lot of books in the archive and a lot of collections that sync on my Voyage and fire and android apps. Now the android kindle app on my Nexus is slow and just sits there for a long time. But I don't really use my Fire for reading anymore, I used to read Scribd on it and sometimes kindle if my e-ink was charging. But overall it runs pretty smooth.

Only time it gets a bit slow is if I forget to turn some notifications of some games off and boy some of those games are pushy.

But $49 for a tablet is insane. I mean one could mount one in the kitchen area to have it plugged in at all times as a media device there, or my husband is eyeballing one for his ham radio stuff app thingies he has running so he could run them on the side.

I am good with my 6, but would have bought this one just for the price and what I use it for.

Not everyone can afford a several hundred dollar high end tablet and now people can also have a larger one for a lot less.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Don't really have a lot of issues with my Fire6. I have a lot of books in the archive and a lot of collections that sync on my Voyage and fire and android apps. Now the android kindle app on my Nexus is slow and just sits there for a long time. But I don't really use my Fire for reading anymore, I used to read Scribd on it and sometimes kindle if my e-ink was charging. But overall it runs pretty smooth.

Only time it gets a bit slow is if I forget to turn some notifications of some games off and boy some of those games are pushy.

But $49 for a tablet is insane. I mean one could mount one in the kitchen area to have it plugged in at all times as a media device there, or my husband is eyeballing one for his ham radio stuff app thingies he has running so he could run them on the side.

I am good with my 6, but would have bought this one just for the price and what I use it for.

Not everyone can afford a several hundred dollar high end tablet and now people can also have a larger one for a lot less.
Electronic cookbook. And timer. That might be an idea.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #12
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
I agree. There's times my HD6 lags or freezes. Can you imagine what will happen with the 10" using the same processors?
Same resolution as your HD6, so exactly the same speed. The size of the screen doesnt matter, the pixel number does.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #13
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I really like my HD 6. I don't think it's slow at all. But I have less than 50 books and few apps on it.

$49 for a 7 in is tempting, but my old original Fire 7 in is still working, although the battery has lost some life. I use the 7 in. for web surfing and the 6 in. for reading books.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
I really like my HD 6. I don't think it's slow at all. But I have less than 50 books and few apps on it.
I have zero books on mine and use it for games and cartoons. It has a really good display (252 ppi).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

My HD6 does seem quicker since I removed thousands of side loaded books. I do have some Amazon books downloaded to it, maybe 25.