Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
wdadli1
wdadli1 began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz R101
Problem reading pdf files

All of the pdf files I try to read with my Cruz R101 display strange characters (rectangles, for example). My wife has the same reader and does not have the problem. I am wondering if OfficeSuite is the problem, as my reader seems to use that as the default reader. If this is the case, is it possible to change the default reader, and if so, how?
wdadli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdadli1 View Post
All of the pdf files I try to read with my Cruz R101 display strangeill characters (rectangles, for example). My wife has the same reader and does not have the problem. I am wondering if OfficeSuite is the problem, as my reader seems to use that as the default reader. If this is the case, is it possible to change the default reader, and if so, how?
Yes, of course the app you are using to read PDFs could cause them to be rendered differently.

Try loading the exact same app using the same .apk installer version as your wife's tablet is using.

If there are still issues, it may be related to the fonts loaded on your reader. By default most Android devices only have the basic Android Screen fonts, so if your wife's reader has loaded other apps which installed several additional fonts, that could also explain the difference.

I have been using the basic free Adobe reader app, which lacks some of the fancier features of ezPDF and RepliGo, but which does do a pretty nice job on basic fast accurate rendering of PDF files.

As far as how to get Android to let you change the default - I'm not positive that it works for all versions of Android, but on my 2.3 tablet all I have to do is install another reader, and the system recognizes that another PDF rendering app is available and prompts me to set which one to use as the default.

Last edited by delphin; 12-20-2011 at 10:16 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
cruz ereader, cruz r101