Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
donz2too
donz2too began at the beginning.

Device: laser
Updating Calibre

I'm getting a message telling me that there is an update for Calibre. To update I must first uninstall Calibre and then update. If I uninstall what will happen to my library, will it vanish and leave me with a clean slate and all my collections gone. I've spent too many hours building this and I have no wish to lose it. Can someone please tell me how to update and also how to back up my library.
Thanks for reading my woes
donz2too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
dmcounts
Enthusiast
dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: K2, K3-3G/WIFI
You will only need to uninstall Calibre before updating if you are currently using version 0.6.17 or earlier.

Even then uninstalling the program should not delete the files and directory where the library is stored.

If you are using a version later than 0.6.17 simply go to the update page and download and install the update.

don
dmcounts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Also, just because there's an update doesn't mean you need to take it. The update dialog has a link to see what's new. Look at the changelog, decide if there's a new feature or bug fix you need (for example to support a new reader or to fix a conversion issue you've run into), and if not then there's no need to update. After calibre has popped up the notification once, it will not pop up again until there's a newer update. And if you decide to update later, the notification will always be down at the bottom where it's out of the way but easy to get to.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
donz2too
donz2too began at the beginning.

Device: laser
Thanks both, next question, where is my calibre library stored on my pc, is it within the calibre folder in program files or somewhere else
donz2too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by donz2too View Post
Thanks both, next question, where is my calibre library stored on my pc, is it within the calibre folder in program files or somewhere else
Did you disable UAC?
Vista/W7 won't allow user data to be stored in the program area unless you defeat all user protections

The big question: Where did you tell Calibre to create the Library? Did you accept the suggested name (and location)?
Here is a way to find where the current Library is.
Click the arrow next to the Library Icon: Click Create/Switch

You should see the location (circled):
Click CANCEL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LibLoc.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	80047  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 06:52 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Once you find out where the library is PLEASE do not get the brainstorm to mess with it directly, renaming files, etc. If you did that you will be back with the question...how to I cope with my destroyed database?!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote