Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Video of Cybook Gen3 shows Vizplex in action

Thanks to Jason for pointing us (via TeleRead) to this video where the founders of Bookeen, Laurent Picard and Michael Dahan, demonstrate the Cybook Gen 3 e-book reader, which is the first device to feature E Ink's latest Vizplex technology. Check out how fast it refreshes the screen - clearly an improvement to the Sony Reader!

As a side note, TeleRead also reports that the initial software of the Cybook Gen3 will not be able to display Adobe PDF formats. Not that we are too unhappy about it, as long as Mobipocket is fully supported!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
As a side note, TeleRead also reports that the initial software of the Cybook Gen3 will not be able to display Adobe PDF formats. Not that we are too unhappy about it, as long as Mobipocket is fully supported!
That's what they say in the video, but the video is from June, and they're still giving an end of July release date in it. Now that the release is September, the list of supported format for the initial software might be different ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
PDF has been an issue for the Sony. Wish Sony had left out PDF and fixed up a few of the other bugs. Like the new for more fonts (Iltaics, bold, bold-itlaics) to do it right instead of the playing around with the normal font to do the attributes.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
When I eventually got to the video segment with the page flipping, I have to say I was suitably impressed. I've only ever played with the Sony Reader in Borders, and the Bookeen did seem a noticeably more rapid refresh.

I have to say that I'm wavering in the direction of the Bookeen for my first e-book device. But this talk of excessive line spacing on Mobipocket books has me slightly concerned. No doubt I'll have to wait for some real reviews, especially from the good folks here...
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherchance View Post
When I eventually got to the video segment with the page flipping, I have to say I was suitably impressed. I've only ever played with the Sony Reader in Borders, and the Bookeen did seem a noticeably more rapid refresh.

I have to say that I'm wavering in the direction of the Bookeen for my first e-book device. But this talk of excessive line spacing on Mobipocket books has me slightly concerned. No doubt I'll have to wait for some real reviews, especially from the good folks here...
What you can do is go to http://www.mobipocket.com and find the contact info and contact them and ask if most Mobi formatted books do contain the extra line-space between paragraphs and you'll have your answer without having to wait till September sometime. And since you are in the USA, if you deicde to go for a Sony, you can try to take advantage of the credit card offer and get one for oh $290 less then the Gen3.
Advert
Old 07-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
mike b
mike b began at the beginning.

Don't dis it. PDF is essential ...

... if you're doing research or office work. Most of the academic papers out there are in pdf, latex, or Word. More and more business documents are in pdf. If there were an ereader that could read tex or Word documents then no worries (is there one?). But until there is, I can't see much usefulness for a reader without pdf.

It seems to me that to get the ebook/ereader market really going, you _need_ to cater to the needs of the average business/lab/office worker in their day-to-day job. Either that or drop the ereader prices to a par with other toys like Nintendo DS', etc.
mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:17 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The SonyThe Sony Reader can read DOC and RTF. DOC cgets converte to RTF via word when you send a DOC file to the Reader via Connect. The only issue is, the links don't work, so no ToC and graphics do not display, but everything else works.

The Cybook Gen3 will support RTF. I have no idea if it will support inline links and/or graphics. But at least it will read the text.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:48 PM   #8
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b View Post
It seems to me that to get the ebook/ereader market really going, you _need_ to cater to the needs of the average business/lab/office worker in their day-to-day job. Either that or drop the ereader prices to a par with other toys like Nintendo DS', etc.
Agreed. I deal with attorneys every day who LOVE paper. Until there's a realistic alternative to reviewing documents on screen, they're quite happy to blow THOUSANDS of dollars on blowbacks of documents. And in this age of electronic discovery, I dread to think how many trees are getting destroyed by my firm alone.

The legal industry needs something like this and SOON.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:39 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Devices like the CyBook and the Sony Reader are being sold first and foremost as fiction readers - let's not forget that. There are without doubt other markets for devices with other form-factors and capabilities, but most people who read for pleasure read fiction. These devices are intended to be a substitute for the paperback book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:50 AM   #10
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherchance View Post
Agreed. I deal with attorneys every day who LOVE paper. Until there's a realistic alternative to reviewing documents on screen, they're quite happy to blow THOUSANDS of dollars on blowbacks of documents. And in this age of electronic discovery, I dread to think how many trees are getting destroyed by my firm alone.

The legal industry needs something like this and SOON.
I think it's part of the strategy where one lawyer throws a small forest worth of documents on the desk and yells to the defendant "this is the proof we've collected".

I can imagine that has a bit more impact than then throwing an Ereader on the the desk. Even when it got a 4GB SD.
Next thing we know they'll be throwing with HDDs
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:16 AM   #11
mike b
mike b began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Devices like the CyBook and the Sony Reader are being sold first and foremost as fiction readers - let's not forget that. There are without doubt other markets for devices with other form-factors and capabilities, but most people who read for pleasure read fiction. These devices are intended to be a substitute for the paperback book.
Three things:

a) Cell phones are ubiquitous because they address needs in our business and pleasure. Nintendo DS's have a much smaller market because they are purely for pleasure. An ereader designed purely for pleasure won't succeed unless it's very inexpensive;

b) what people read is related to the demographic. Most older adults read non-fiction, much more than fiction, for pleasure. In fact, if they are working they read very little fiction at all; and

c) based on a) and b) most current ereaders are over priced and targeting their markets inappropriately. The future therefore is not promising.
mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:47 AM   #12
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Three things:

a) Cell phones are ubiquitous because they address needs in our business and pleasure. Nintendo DS's have a much smaller market because they are purely for pleasure. An ereader designed purely for pleasure won't succeed unless it's very inexpensive;
Expect flexible A4 e-readers in 2008. These will work with all PDF files and therefore will address needs for both business, education and pleasure (fiction, non-fiction and newspapers).

Quote:
b) what people read is related to the demographic. Most older adults read non-fiction, much more than fiction, for pleasure. In fact, if they are working they read very little fiction at all; and
Not true. Most adults in the US read non-fiction, that's not the case in Europe at all. In Paris for example, most people use public transport for 20-40mn at least twice a day: they read fiction.

Quote:
c) based on a) and b) most current ereaders are over priced and targeting their markets inappropriately. The future therefore is not promising.
I agree that they're over-priced for the book market, but for a first gen mobile device they're not. I expect the price for these devices to drop between 99-199$.
They're not targeting their markets very well yes, I guess it'll take some time to target their market the right way. What we need now is information about thoses devices in the newspapers, magazines, TV etc... This technology is UNLIKE any screen we're used to: we need to explain to the mass market how exactly it's better for reading than a normal screen.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:11 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Not true. Most adults in the US read non-fiction, that's not the case in Europe at all. In Paris for example, most people use public transport for 20-40mn at least twice a day: they read fiction.
Same in the UK. Get on the London Underground (subway) and half the people on it are reading. Vrtually all either newspapers or fiction.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:46 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Here in the Boston Area on the T (public transport), you'll find a lot of people reading newspapers (the free ones mostly) or books. That is unless they are playing with their cell phones.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:51 PM   #15
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Right, more and more people in public transports are just listening to
their mp3 with void eyes or "playing" with their phones.
E-Books will maybe change that fact because it' high tech and people like
to be seen playing with high-tech
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote