Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
Split Deals Forum into Ebooks and Readers Forums

The mobileread Forum has been extremely helpful and has even saved me some money. So, the following is a small suggestion to make it even better:

Split the "Deals..." Forum into two separate Forums - that would "Ebook Deals..." and "Reader Deals...".

The reason is that - in my assessment - members are either looking for one or the other. New members are especially only looking for reader deals, and the numerous ebook deal threads tend to scroll valid reader deals off the front page.

Then when they use their mobileread Forum deal to get a reader, then they want to see the ebook deals ... and not the readers deals.

Even long-term members who decide they want a new reader, are only looking at the reader deals at that particular time.

It seems to me that it would be a win-win for everyone.
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I agree there. There's some overlap, of course, but they're generally different markets. That's especially true with people who are looking for specials on readers and don't want/need to dig through pages of deals on ebooks to find them.

Having tags for some of the major readers would also be helpful, though that runs into the problem of multiples: what happens if a book is available for the Kindle and Sony but not iPad? But still, I'd like to be able to sort the forum so I can get rid of all the Kindle-only books, for instance, which are useless to me. Ideally, there should be a section strictly for DRM-free epubs (we can call it "Worldwalker's Forum", naturally) so I can go right to those. But even without that perfectly reasonable suggestion, given the volume of deals we have nowadays, some way of organizing them by target platform and DRM status would help.

But definitely, at least split out books and readers. It's not that big an issue for me, as I have a reader and I'm looking for books, which are in the majority, but it has to be a nightmare for someone looking for a good price on ebook readers.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Ebook Deals, definitely. But the other should be broader than Reader Deals. I can imagine several kinds of deals/bargains other than those two... software, scanners, memory cards, booklights, protective screen covers... While things like that don't get a lot of entries, I'd like the not-ebooks forum to make it obvious that other ebook-related deals & discounts belong there.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Books and Hardware, maybe? Or Books, Readers, and Accessories?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I'm not so sure that the Deals forum needs splitting per se, but prefix tags to further categorize what's being posted would be helpful. Something like Readers, Accessories, Free Book/Game, Bargain Book/Game, Coupon/Discount, Resource would be useful, so that people could quickly skim over the colour-coded post titles that don't interest them.

There was some earlier discussion of using prefixes to categorize the various ebook deals as well, but given the shifting availability of certain offers, it doesn't seem practical unless one can stack prefixes.

If it does come to a split, then Hardware (readers & accessories) and Software (ebooks, reader-based games, the occasional e-book creation software freebie like those PDF converters that have free license giveaways, and of course, online resources) seem to be the logical divisions.

Or maybe Resources as the third category, since stuff like the Philadelphia Free Library and Creative Commons e-book sites don't exactly expire (one hopes).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I like having all the Deals in one place.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Implementing any sort of organization on this section has to contend with the often ephemeral life span of these deals. Posts appear, sometimes explosively in large numbers, and often have a known or unknown lifespan. Posts age rapidly off the first page as well.
Labels could be made available for posts [such as Book, Ereader, Game -- or Free, Bargin] - but the hard part is getting posters to use the labels consistently, so that readers could either filter the posts and not miss anything, or leaving members still having to sort through any unlabeled posts to make sure they didn't miss anything.

We implemented a compromise solution in the Kindle Forum, where a member (koland) was willing to supervise and maintain a Sticky thread of Free/Bargain Kindle books. This Sticky is replaced monthly - keeping new deals up front and reducing the clutter of old posts.

In the Deals/Freebies section we're currently trying a compromise solution - putting enough relevant information in the thread title to allow members to decide whether the deal applies to them or not.

Any additional labelling/sub-dividing, etc. would really require a member to monitor the forum continuously to ensure all new posts were added in accordance with the forum organizational scheme.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Ken Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Any additional labelling/sub-dividing, etc. would really require a member to monitor the forum continuously to ensure all new posts were added in accordance with the forum organizational scheme.
I think we are arguing about a Straw Man (the usual result of "I would also like" replies).

How hard would it be for people to figure out:

- "Hardware Deals (incl Readers)"

- "Software Deals and Freebies (incl Ebooks)"
Old 12-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
In the Deals/Freebies section we're currently trying a compromise solution - putting enough relevant information in the thread title to allow members to decide whether the deal applies to them or not.
I like this system. A flag for "Ended" might help, too.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:37 AM   #10
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
One of things we try to do is keep up with the changing availability of which ebook stores have the free ebook by editing the title when a member posts to that thread.

It is easiest to keep up with the quick changes when members post to the thread as a book is made available on another site or when it is no longer available for free. The title can be updated again. Only moderators are able to change the thread titles.

I admit it is frustrating to go to the site and find that it is not free, but these deals are sometimes very quick and always changing. I'm very thankful to our dedicated members who take the time to post the finds for us, and I don't mind the little bit of time it takes me to go check a site for a deal when I am interested in a book.

If a member posts that the offer is ended a moderator can add that to the title. When more than one site is listed in the title, the title is edited to remove that site. You still need to check the posts in the thread for other information.

This system is not perfect, but I think it is working pretty good for now, especially with members posting changes to the threads.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
Ken Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I'm sorry, but at this point, your post is "thread crapping".

Start your own thread about titles.

It's especially disrespectful of you, because I had just posted to steer the thread back to a simple split of the Deals Forum.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Stuart View Post
The mobileread Forum has been extremely helpful and has even saved me some money. So, the following is a small suggestion to make it even better:

Split the "Deals..." Forum into two separate Forums - that would "Ebook Deals..." and "Reader Deals...".

<snip>
Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion and it will be added to our list and considered for implementation.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote