Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #61
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I don't know if they're actively trying to stop us, exactly, but they're not exactly throwing the doors wide open either, are they?
Well, they released the GPL parts of firmware sources, which is a good start. Would that be enough to develop Sony Reader apps?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:09 PM   #62
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Search me: I know Linux is an OS, and that's about the extent of my 'expertise' with it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2007, 07:59 PM   #63
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Hmm, I've been sitting by the side holding back my comments about the supposed suckability of WinCE; guess I'll put in my 2 creds...

I started with the original Palm Pilot Professional about a year after it came out and switched to a WinCE device when 3Com, then to become Palm, in their infinite wisdom refused to upgrade their devices to color. I looked into the Linux market of PDA's when the Sharp Zaurus came out and thought it would be cool to tinker around with one of those too, but couldn't justify the cost of yet another upgrade since I had just picked up the iPaq 4150.

While there may be a few extra "custom" apps for the Linux-brethren, on the Windows Mobile front there are a ton of custom apps as well; most with a lot better UI's than the stuff on the other side. I even picked up a Windows Mobile phone before I left the US, and it had a ton of apps people had written, many in the homebrew section. I think where people cannot come to terms with M$ is just that, it's the big company with deep pockets getting their hands into everything digital; whereas *nix is free and open to tinker as you will. While Windows might not let you tinker legally at the kernel-level, you can pretty much make it do what you want it to just as well. While you might need to d/l the toolkit from Microsoft and can just clobber something together with Vim, it's not that hard. Of course, if the complaint is that the OS is "embedded" in the sense that you cannot address it directly; i.e., it's transparent and your restricted to one given function, that will be the same with Linux as well, unless the manufacturer wants you to get at it (or you find some type of hole to exploit/subvert the system).

While everyone has their own opinions, what it boils down to for me is "Does the darn thing do what it's supposed to?" and "Does it do that well and have an intuitive/not crappy interface?" I don't buy a camera to be an eReader or a remote for my entertainment system to be a PDA, so why complain when you can't use your book as a calculator?
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:05 AM   #64
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Well, they released the GPL parts of firmware sources, which is a good start. Would that be enough to develop Sony Reader apps?
This link answers my question: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...threadid=10570

Oh happy day!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #65
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
@Azayzel - in a word, "viruses."

Otherwise I might agree with you.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #66
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Doh! You got me there neokami. The evil doers of the world will continue to inflict their sad tactics on the largest possible audience (and, not to be rude or anything, but the people most prone to let the bad stuff through). Thanks!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #67
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, and Microsoft seems to feel that their right to look at your system whenever they want trumps having any real system-level security to stop things like viruses. Any system has weaknesses, and sure, MS gets most of the malware action because they are the most popular platform. But they also persist in designing security flaws into their system, to benefit their own applications and to satisfy the demands of MPAA/RIAA and others, whereas Linux teams tend to eliminate security flaws as fast as they can find them. (I used to feel I could also cite Apple in that list, but their idiotic implementation of "widgets" or whatever they are called pretty much ruined my optimism toward them.) So in part it's the users who are most prone to let the bad stuff through, but in part it's also the OS most prone. My 2 yen, anyway.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #68
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Has there been any recent news on this device?
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #69
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
Heh
When i saw Yokos' "private meditation" with the "ommmm" borders that's the first thing that popped in my head

I had an A500, then an A1200. Could never get over selling them
You guys are old Amiga fans? Oh brother, what am I doing here, I always liked my nice black bombs on my Atari 1040STf better (Let's start a Amiga vs. ST thingy again for old times sake! )

BTW. I always kept a habit of not ever selling anything which made me happy at the time, that's why I still have 2 Atari ST's and an Atari TT in the attic collecting dust... (the emu's are nicer !)

And about the flepia's: can I have both formats? one for novels and one for tech books? please?

Aenea
Aenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #70
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Windows (any flavor) is buggy and insecure, and I prefer not to use it. Just my personal preference.
Unlike <insert your alternative here> which has zero bugs and is totally secure.

Yeah, right.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #71
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver View Post
Unlike <insert your alternative here> which has zero bugs and is totally secure.

Yeah, right.
I'm curious, are you a Microsoft employee? You live in Redmond, have WLS in your sig, and you're defending windows... Seems to be a bit more than a coincidence.

Edit: Nevermind, I just looked at your profile. What do you work on, if you don't me asking?
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #72
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Yeah, right.
While nothing can be guaranteed to be bug free and totally secure, a Sun comes a lot closer
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:23 AM   #73
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I'm curious, are you a Microsoft employee? You live in Redmond, have WLS in your sig, and you're defending windows... Seems to be a bit more than a coincidence.

Edit: Nevermind, I just looked at your profile. What do you work on, if you don't me asking?
It's no secret I work at Microsoft (I'm one of two developers responsible for the Live Search for Mobile client, as you might be able to guess from my .sig). I've spent many years in the FreeBSD world (I was architect on an FreeBSD enterprise firewall product before Microsoft); I have lots of Linux experience (Debian, Gentoo) and I own a Mac. I dislike zealotry on any side of the fence; all systems have their respective pros and cons, and nothing is perfect (if it was I wouldn't have a heterogeneous home setup). A Windows CE based reader is not in principle any better or worse than any other; it all depends on the application and driver software that gets added to make the final product. Most "Windows bugs" are bugs in 3rd party device drivers or applications, and the same is true of other OSes too - modern day kernels are all very stable.

The only blue screens I've ever seen in WinXP or Vista were from either bad RAM or bad drivers. I've had Linux crashes I couldn't explain but would expect were similar issues. I can't use X on my FreeBSD server at home for more than about an hour without it freezing up due to NVidia drivers (NVidia drivers were also the cause of the blue screens I've seen on Vista).

Disclaimer: of course I speak for myself in all of this, and not for Microsoft.

Last edited by geekraver; 09-28-2007 at 03:34 AM.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:00 PM   #74
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:

Yeah, right.
Making this an "all or nothing" argument is inappropriate (and unconvincing). One system can have significantly fewer security problems than another without being, itself, perfect. I am satisfied that my quantitative estimates of the security problems of Windows compared to the several other OS's that I use are reliable, and a sound basis of choosing an operating system for my purposes, which I acknowledge may not be the same as anyone else's.

One could argue, of course, that more viruses (and other security attacks) are targeted towards Windows simply because of its market dominance, but from my point of view, this matters less than the bottom-line fact that there are far fewer viruses on the OS's that I use. I don't play video games and I don't have a dependency on any of the small number of other types of software packages that are only available for Windows, so I don't run it on systems I own and use for production purposes.

I'm not trying to convince anyone else to change their position or their choices with regard to operating systems, simply explaining how I make my decisions. If someone else wants to try to convince me to change my mind, I can say that hard facts from an unbiased source (or at least a source without a vested interest in an OS vendor) will go a lot farther toward convincing me than sarcasm or absolutism. I don't mean that I won't consider arguments presented by a Microsoft employee (or an Apple employee, etc.), only that the evidence presented to support the argument should come from a non-vested source.

We now return you to the discussion of the Fujitsu FLEPia....
Old 10-12-2007, 11:18 PM   #75
rkellmer
rkellmer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500 / iPhone 3GS / iPad 32GB
FLEPia would be great in schools

If they get the price of this down to $200, and textbook companies would make searchable textbooks for it, this would be great in a high school or at a college.

Students could search their textbook, we could download textbooks at the circulation counter (I am a librarian), and students wouldn't have to lug around 30 pounds of books in their backpacks. Teachers could also send assignments to the students through the wireless connection. You wouldn't need storage rooms for all of the textbooks, and we'd save shipping costs and all the labor for processing of textbooks.

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these!
rkellmer is offline   Reply With Quote