Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 04:25 AM   #1
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Cool Book Covers: Not Sure What Happened

I haven't added any new ebooks since the last two versions of Calibre. I added a couple of ebooks tonight (using latest version of Calibre). And the covers are extremely stretched out. These ebooks were converted from lit and html. The lit ebook came with its own cover. It was stretched (in Calibre book viewer) as a lit and stretched as a epub. The html didn't have a cover and I added one and it was stretched out after the conversion to epub as well. I have never experienced this problem before over the course of converting a couple hundred ebooks over the last year.

I added two other ebooks that were epub and their covers were fine. No issues.

Did something change? New setting? I looked through the preferences area and didn't see anything that was obvious. There seemed no way to fix the problem via Calibre. So I used Sigil and was able to rectify the problem.

What am I missing?

Thanks.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:31 AM   #2
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Oh I should add these weren't odd ball cover sizes. These are covers for the actual books. One was 420x686 and the other was 400x600. Pretty normal for what I have used in the past.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:38 AM   #3
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Ok I did track down the preserve cover aspect ratio. I checked it. I am wondering how it became unchecked since I just install new versions of Calibre right over the old version.

Anyway hope this fixes the problem. Is this a new setting that was just added recently? Because that would explain why this problem cropped up.

Cheers.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Ok I did track down the preserve cover aspect ratio. I checked it. I am wondering how it became unchecked since I just install new versions of Calibre right over the old version.

Anyway hope this fixes the problem. Is this a new setting that was just added recently? Because that would explain why this problem cropped up.
Kovid changed covers from jpg to svg in version 0.6.46

Quote:
EPUB Output: Use SVG for covers, to ensure cover image is correctly resized to fit available screen space
In version 0.6.54 he added EPUB Output: Add option to toggle preserving the aspect ratio of the cover.

Quote:
EPUB Output: Add option to toggle preserving the aspect ratio of the cover.
  • "By default calibre creates an SVG based cover that scales with the screen size of the reader used to view it. Previosuly this scaling was limited to preserve the aspect ratio of the image. This would often result in white borders at the sides or top and bottom of the image. Now, by default, calibre will setup the cover to not preserve aspect ratio, doing away with the white borders. The downside is that if the aspect ratio of the cover is very different from the reader, it will look distorted. The old behavior can be restored via Preferences->Conversion->EPUB Output."
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Kovid changed covers from jpg to svg in version 0.6.46

In version 0.6.54 he added EPUB Output: Add option to toggle preserving the aspect ratio of the cover.
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.