Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
schroedercl2
Enthusiast
schroedercl2 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Cool How Does it Affect You When eBooks Aren't Published in Your First Language?

A great number of readers have recently expressed to me their issues with eBooks mostly being published in English. People have different opinions about it, so I want to know: how does it affect you? Are you bothered about the situation, or does it not affect you? Click here to see the rest.
schroedercl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I like to read books in the language they were written in, if I am able to do so. Translation ads a layer of interpretation that distorts the original. Some of the beauty of the original language might get lost. Besides, what better way to improve your language skills? Casual conversation will get you only to a certain level. To go deeper you need to read.

I admit it can be tough going.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
luag
Zealot
luag began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
If the book is written in english, I prefer to read it in english. I often find the translations are not very good in preserving the nuance of the originals.
luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Ditto. Plus in general, I don't enjoy reading in french (native speaker) as much as I do in english, which is weird I know, but I can't explain really. I also find it really hard to read in german, although this is the language I speak every day since I moved to Germany 20 odd years ago.

I think that if I was not an avid english reader, I probably would not have fallen in love with ebooks as I have. They are a way for me to get the english books I want without having to pay the dear paperback price they are sold for here.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
It means that I read almost exclusively English fiction at the moment (English is my only foreign language in which I'm good enough to both read and enjoy, but I'm working on German). I've always had a preference for English and American authors.

Lately, I've gotten more interested in reading Danish fiction, and I it does bother me a bit that I can't get it a ebooks. I much prefer to use an ereader insted of a paper book.

Added: reading the page you linked to, I can see I misunderstood your question. It doesn't bother me to read English fiction in English - and the option of buying Danish fiction in English is pretty much non-existing, so I can't really compare. It's not an issue. What is an issue, is that I hardly ever read Danish fiction at the moment (or other books not by English language authors, but translated into Danish), and I think I'm missing out on something.

Last edited by Ea; 01-25-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Of course I would prefer to read the books in my mother language.

But… as there are none (commercial ones), I just have to settle for the next best thing… happily I have no problems with English, so English it is.
Also I can re-read the classics in Portuguese that one can get in per example Project Gutenberg.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I prefer books in English. Unless they're translated from Dutch. But, so far, I've not really read any Dutch author I really liked since I moved from children's and young adult to adult books. Dutch authors are generally so... boring...

If it's a translated books from any other language, I prefer English over Dutch.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
My main problem there, is being unable to find e-books from French author in French.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
if a book was written in english (or german, or any other germanic language, since i don't speak those) i prefer to read it in english. however there are many french authors i want to read, and i prefer to read spanish / portuguese / italian books in french, since i must read a translation, and i'm very frustrated that most of the books i want to read in french are not available. i am really hoping that french publishers will really soon begin to pick up speed in publishing ebooks because i deeply miss reading in french. i don't mind reading in english, but i don't want it to be my only choice.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
No problems at all. I read in English 99%. I might read a book or two in Russian if it was written by a Russian writer (but then again, how many did I read? Maybe 2 books over the last 3 years). Something about books in English attracts me.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Original language is obviously great, but the publishers simply trying to maximize effectiveness of sales.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelad View Post
Original language is obviously great, but the publishers simply trying to maximize effectiveness of sales.
How can they do that if the book is not translated into English?
And I wouldn't buy English translations of, for example, French or German books, even if I could get them.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedercl2 View Post
A great number of readers have recently expressed to me their issues with eBooks mostly being published in English. People have different opinions about it, so I want to know: how does it affect you? Are you bothered about the situation, or does it not affect you? Click here to see the rest.
I lived in Spain for three years when I was a child. I then took five years of Spanish in jr. high and high school. I took three years of German in high school.

If the book isn't in English, I can't read it. Sigh. All those years of study down the drain.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
So, that settles it. All new books should be written in English, to lessen problems with availability....

However, I must confess that I have sometimes enjoyed a translation better than the original. A great translator can be a great thing.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #15
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I prefer to read a book in it's original language (if I am able to do so). Some of the books might take me a few years as I might not be as fluent as I wish to.

I also like to read books in original language AND translation, just to see if I got it right (or if the translator got it right).

Some of the translation are great, others not so.

And if a book is not available in a language that I can read then it's kind of my problem isn't it?
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote