Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
The secret behind the new Paperwhite: E Ink Carta

Some of us have already wondered what "Carta e-paper technology" is all about when Amazon unveiled the Paperwhite V2 yesterday. Well, here we have the answer, folks! Carta is the latest imaging film employed by E Ink for their e-paper screens. According to their website, Carta offers enhanced readability ("a dramatic 50% increase in contrast over earlier generations") and smoother page turns (supporting "the new Regal technology").

E Ink Carta specifications in detail:
  • Imaging Component: E Ink Carta ePaper Display Film
  • Contrast Ratio: 15:1 (min)
  • White State: 74 (min)
  • Dark State: 19 (max)
  • Color Resolution (# Bits): 1-Bit (B&W);4-Bit (16 Gray Levels)
  • % Reflectance: 44%
  • Viewing Angle: Near 180°
  • Image Update Time: 120 msec (1-Bit)
  • Update Modes: Full & Partial Page Update, Pipelined
  • Available Display Sizes: 1.44 to 13.3 in
  • Display Modules: E Ink Mobius Flexible Display, as well as Glass TFT

Source: spec sheet (PDF)

Related: All-New Kindle Paperwhite V2 (accidentally) unveiled. So what's all new?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
I want I want I want I want I want I want I want!!!

(That's the bad part of living in Brazil... At least there is the Carnival.)
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
wipes a tear from her eye

I will own one. I love my K3 but I like reading without the light on and will cave and buy a PW.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Device with an E Ink Carta screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carta_img_090313.jpg
Views:	1561
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	110401  
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
wipes a tear from her eye

her eye?...
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
"Regal technology":

Quote:
The new display has been specifically tuned for reading applications, fully supporting E Ink Regal™ waveform technology. Regal waveforms dramatically reduce the need for full page refreshes after a few page turns. This enhances the reader's experience by providing smoother page turns and more focused reading.
Press release
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
I want I want I want I want I want I want I want!!!
Yep, that about covers my feelings on the matter
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
Warchild
Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook Color, Kobo Aura, iPad, iPad Mini
Here's to the next Kobo getting the Carta. Kindle's still bug me with restricted storage and clear locked down eco system.
Warchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Here's a Yahoo article about the new tech...
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/e-ink-...130000456.html
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A comparison to the Pearl Spec Sheet is worthwhile.

Dark:Light on pearl is 24:70
Dark:Light on carta is 19:74

Quite how those numbers get converted into a contrast ratio I'm not sure, but it certainly does have a lighter white and darker black.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
While it's interesting I'm not convinced that it's worth paying the price tag to upgrade as I already own the first Paperwhite. I did pre-order one so I will be able to see in person any improvements without trying to see them while under a store's blindingly bright lights. I find that screens are a lot different to my eyes once I am outside the stores overhead lighting. I notice that previous Kindle screens look positively awful in stores, even worse if the touch screen devices have had a lot of handing.

Anyhow I pre-ordered one as a birthday present for my Mum who's default Kindle is a Kindle Touch. From KT to PW 2 is probably more worthy of the upgrade than PW 1 to PW 2.

As someone whose been actively addicted, as I admit fully, to eInk technology I would be interested in not only how books look but any performance improvements that might be present. I should be able to satisfy my curiosity when my Mum's PW is delivered.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Reflectance has gone from 40.7% to 44%. A very significant increase.

1st gen EInk has reflectance of 32-35%
2nd gen (Vizplex) has reflectance of 40%
3rd gen (Pearl) has reflectance of 40.7%
4th gen (Carta) has reflectance of 44%

Still not quite paperwhite, but getting there!
(paperback paper is around 60-70%. Glossy magazine paper around 80-90%)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I wonder how long will take for Amazon to release a color eink device.

I also wonder if at some point, Amazon will buy eink. I may be wrong but if they really want to push further and stick to eink devices, they may save more long run if they took that step, i.e, manufacturing costs and patents.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Display Modules: E Ink Mobius Flexible Display, as well as Glass TFT
Am I reading this correctly - the glass substrate is gone? If so, I'm definitely upgrading!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Am I reading this correctly - the glass substrate is gone? If so, I'm definitely upgrading!
Not necessarily - the specs for the Pearl display say exactly the same thing.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote