Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Question Inconsistant Behaviour When Attching To Computer/Charging

Hi!

I have a KT, running firmware .17 (not tried to update to 2.0). I'm wondering if anyone else has seen something similar to my experience.

Lately, when I attach my reader to my laptop to move some files over to the microSD card, if the reader is powered off it powers back on, but doesn't ask me if I want to "connect" or "continue", it just goes straight to "continue" (the little power cord shows up on the battery icon). I have to disconnect the cord and reattach it to the laptop in order for the "Continue"/"Connect" dialogue pop up to come up. It didn't do that a week ago.

If it's powered off and I attach it to a USB wall charger, 9 times out of 10 it will ask me if I want to continue or connect.

This has happened before, then it magically starts working again - this time I used the paper clip in the back to reset it and the dialogue popped up again when it powered up, but didn't come back from the "Connected and Charging" screen (again paper clip in the back).

While it's not a big deal - just *really* annoying - I have no idea what I'm doing to bork the thing up.

Anyone else have similar experience?
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
I have been through two factory resets and a pin-hole reset over the last week to get to a precarious 2.0'd KT: only a few Kepubs in main memory, no SD card (so no sideloads), inability to connect to Calibre 0.8.60. In all that, there has been so little consistency in how the KT has behaved that it has been difficult to pose a particular install/reset/sideloading problem in this forum.

Last edited by GvilleBridge; 07-16-2012 at 08:17 PM.
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
VirgoGirl, I am pretty sure that the post GvilleBridge posted was not in response to your question as much as it was letting off steam about his/her particular issue.

I have never known what seems to trigger the behaviour you are seeing, but I have seen it from time to time myself. I, too, tried to figure out what I was doing wrong. I do know that at this point, I always start with my Touch off. It seems like there are fewer surprises that way. YMMV. In fact, it seems that it definitely varies.

Last edited by taming; 07-16-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: wrong name (among other things)
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
VirgoGirl, I am pretty sure that the post GvilleBridge posted was not in response to your question as much as it was letting off steam about his/her particular issue.
I didn't take it at all in any way offensive. I feel terrible for everyone going through all this stuff with the new firmware, I know how crappy it is when the Kobo doesn't work. I realize my question sounds really petty and niggling to people who just want theirs to work.

I just noticed it happening again today, and wondered if anyone else has the same "issue". So often I have something going on with a device, I do a search for it and nothing comes up. I'm left with the idea that I'm the only one with a problem, which is never a great feeling - there's a kind of safety in numbers, a realization that it may not be something that I've done if others notice similar behaviour. And, if others do experience the same thing, maybe they've discovered the trigger, like I should always wear a particular colour (or just wear clothes) when I try and connect the KT.

Maybe I have to go back to having the KT on when I connect, it seems to speed up the process.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
...wear a particular colour (or just wear clothes) when I try and connect the KT...

On a more serious note... Actually mine has done all those things you stated since I first had it (firmware .17). It's one of those things that if I am rushing trying to do some quick editing in Sigil and it happens it's really annoying. If I'm not rushing it's just kind of irritating. As for the wall charger, I think that when the KT senses power coming in from the USB port it just assumes you have plugged it into the computer and auto pops up with the continue/connect option.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post

I have never known what seems to trigger the behaviour you are seeing, but I have seen it from time to time myself. I, too, tried to figure out what I was doing wrong. I do know that at this point, I always start with my Touch off. It seems like there are fewer surprises that way. YMMV. In fact, it seems that it definitely varies.
I wonder if it is due to other programs being open. I have noted in the past problems loading books if Media Player is open at the same time. It appears to try to treat the Kobo as a portable music device.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I've noticed it a few times and never been able to work out what was going on. There doesn't seem to be a reason that I can see.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
VirgoGirl

Re: Clothes - it's all go here at my house.

I've noticed too that other programs try to read my ereader- winamp was a surprise- so I generally try to have everything closed. That being said, though, with so many updates for programs and OS's I wouldn't be surprised if it something else is trying to read it when I plug it in.

I wonder if it has something to do with the KT's behaviour after freezing or crashing. The last time it needed a charge, I didn't get the "Please charge your reader" screen, it just wouldn't turn on. I assumed it needed to be charged since the battery icon was down to 25% (yeah, that's a whole other issue right there), so I plugged it in and left it for 6 hours. When I turned it back on after the charge, it got to the home screen and froze, wouldn't respond to touches or power slider. I used the paper clip (I keep 3 in my reader bag) to reset it, it seemed fine, but then it started doing this when I plug it in.

Again, in the grand scheme of things it's insignificant, but that it's not a consistent situation is almost *more* annoying than if it just happened all the time.

Again, thanks for the responses, it's interesting to see that other readers are doing the same thing!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
VirgoGirl

Having thought I fixed this with a reset, when I plugged it in to recharge - wall charge - it went right to the home screen without asking. I swear, it's as annoying as a mosquito buzzing around my ear....
Old 07-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It should not ask when you are using a wall plug as connecting to the computer is not a possibility. I use a variety of chargers. Some invoke what you are seeing and some seemingly do nothing at all if the Touch is off when I start and leave it in the state it is in when I attach it if the device is on.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
Geco
Zealot
Geco doesn't litterGeco doesn't litter

Device: Touch, Aura
VirgoGirl, I had (and I'm still having) a similar problem but after *many* tests I'm pretty sure (at least for me) that it's a PC matter. Brief explanation: when using my home desktop PC almost never I see the "connect" button or I see it flashing for a second and able to "click" it after so many plug/unplug attempts. Also, when ejecting, the KT does not refresh unless turning off after 10 minutes (as I configured it) and turning it on again.
Instead, using the small Eee PC 900 Linux it works perfectly even if I obviously cannot use the desktop application. But I can load and delete my own files and when disconnecting it updates correctly the content.
Using my laptop office PC I can use KT, connect to desktop application and use everything else.

So... I'm pretty sure it's a PC thing, for me.
Geco is offline   Reply With Quote