Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Who's Buying Tom Clancy?

It's been ten years since the last Tom Clancy Jack Ryan thriller. Like Harry Potter that came later, I've bought every Tom Clancy book the first day it's available. Never was much of a hard back buyer, but Clancy was one of the few exceptions.

I won't bat an eye to pay $14.99 for the ebook (Penguin is the publisher, so the price is the same at Kindle and Apple and B&N). Even Walmart only brings the hard back to $15.62.

I'd pay MORE for the ebook as I have never liked having to deal with a large hard back book.

So will you Tom Clancy fans (like me) who are now ebook fans (like me) buy the ebook or the hard back since they are essentially the same price.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Not at that price -especially not once I saw it appears to be co-authored. I was really excited when it was first announced but then I saw the price and went

Its a Penguin book. My guess is it will be on the Library Overdrive.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I also used to buy his books in hardcover. Then Jack Ryan took a flying leap over the shark, and I lost interest. Unless someone convinces me that this is significantly better than the last few of Clancy's books, I'm not going to buy it at all. I've never been fond of Mary Sues.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'll wait until it shows up at the library.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
as far as I am concerned Clancy hasn't come up with anything good since he started to team write. even though I enjoyed Clancy in the early days, I didn't enjoy him 15 bucks a repeat!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
"Tom Clancy" books are Ok, but the older ones are much better than the newer ones. "Tom Clancy's" books are pure garbage. Check the cover carefully to see if the "'s" is on the end of his name before buying.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I finished out the Jack Ryan series and have not bought a Tom Clancy books since. The last three books were too political for my liking. I don't mind taking aleap of faith and ignoring some of the silliness in Patriot Games, Hunt for Red October, and Cardinal of the Kremlin but the leap of faith to make Ryan the President was beyond my ability to ignore.

When I heard that the next book was about his son I giggled and move on.

I donated the hardcopy books to the library when I was able to get them in e-books I liked for my Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Which hack is writing this one for him?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I just noticed that he does have a co-writer. That really sux for him to do that to his Ryan series. Still, I'm enjoying the reread of Teeth of the Tiger. It's been 10 years since I read it and I'm not remembering much of anything.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
I read Tom Clancy faithfully up until Debt of Honor plus Rainbow Six. I liked his novels much better when Jack Ryan was in operations instead of administration. That means The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, and The Cardinal of the Kremlin are my favorites. There's a case for Clear and Present Danger still being a decent Clancy novel, but that's the point for me where I started to lose interest in the direction he was going. The books just got bigger and more fantastical. I think he always tried to outdo his last novel, to the detriment of his stories. The whole co-authoring thing has only made me lose even more respect for him.

He's one author who really needs to get back to his roots and back to basics. Then I might consider reading him again.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

He is never going to write his own stuff again. He is making a tidy profit out of lending his name to other authors who write as partners to him and the video games those books generate.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Anyone know if the Splinter Cell or Net Force series is in eBook format?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

They are available for the Kindle
Old 11-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I finished out the Jack Ryan series and have not bought a Tom Clancy books since. The last three books were too political for my liking. I don't mind taking aleap of faith and ignoring some of the silliness in Patriot Games, Hunt for Red October, and Cardinal of the Kremlin but the leap of faith to make Ryan the President was beyond my ability to ignore.

When I heard that the next book was about his son I giggled and move on.

I donated the hardcopy books to the library when I was able to get them in e-books I liked for my Kindle.
I quit reading his book after Executive Orders I came across his books a lot later then from they were first released and I had just read him a few months before 9/11 and that was a really eerie feeling seeing that he had seen it coming the actual attackers were different but it was still similar.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #15
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I won't buy at that price and I doubt I would buy a Penguin book at any price.

I'll wait for the library.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote