Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
iansoady
Enthusiast
iansoady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Birmingham UK City library now offering ebooks

Just had an email offering this new service. Sadly though, not Kindle-friendly at present and I haven't yet managed to log in.....
iansoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
Just had an email offering this new service. Sadly though, not Kindle-friendly at present and I haven't yet managed to log in.....
Any chance of a link?
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
iansoady
Enthusiast
iansoady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Yes indeed:

http://birmingham-uk.lib.overdrive.c...en/Default.htm

Apparently to log in it's the first 14(!) characters of the library card.....
iansoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
We've had a library e-book service for quite a while in Edinburgh, but unfortunately the books can only be read in a web browser.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Just had an email offering this new service. Sadly though, not Kindle-friendly at present
And it's not likely to be any time soon either. There's a big problem about Kindles and copyright via libraries. Overdrive has managed to sort out its compatibility with Kindle in the US, but Penguin have recently pulled out of the deal and refuse to allow their books to be used with Kindle for US libraries (not sure exactly what the problem is, but I presume it's something to do with it being easier to circumvent DRM on the Kindle than on other ereader), so I won't be at all surprised if the other publishers don't follow suit. Adobe Digital Editions doesn't list the Kindle as being compatible either.

Hence, Kindle will not work with any UK library currently offering ebooks, and this is unlikely to change in the near future. A little piece of information they leave out of the TV ads! ( sorry, but it does annoy me that Amazon don't warn people about this - I know of several elderly people who were so disappointed to find they couldn't use their Xmas present Kindle with the library, which was one of the reasons they got them in most cases!)

Hence, for any potential buyers in the UK - if borrowing library books is important for you, as it was for me (it was a deal-breaker on the Kindle as far as I was concerned), buy something else, like the Sony or Kobo. There's a list of compatible devices here:
For Overdrive: http://www.overdrive.com/resources/d...spx?type=ebook
For ADE: http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublis...ported-devices

Quote:
J I haven't yet managed to log in.....
Yeah, they could make it a bit easier - as iansoady says, it's probably something to do with your library card number. With my library, I have to use the whole number, not just 14 characters, and I think some of them require you to use a password as well. The staff should be able to advise.

Even if you have got a compatible device, and you do manage to log in, the process isn't necessarily that easy either. The Overdrive books are fine, but in my local library, most of the books are Adobe Digital Editions, and getting that to work with my T1 was a fun job! Thank goodness it's only the one time - I posted instructions here for the Sony: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163145

For general info, there are actually about 60 libraries offering ebooks now, but I haven't been able to find a complete list - the best I've found is this one, but it's nothing like complete, so if your local one isn't listed, best thing to do is ask. http://www.mla.gov.uk/what/programme...g_e-books.ashx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
We've had a library e-book service for quite a while in Edinburgh, but unfortunately the books can only be read in a web browser.
Are you sure, Mike? I'd be very surprised if they're offering such a restricted service. I've had a quick look at the council website, and it says the libraries offer Overdrive, and also mention about downloading ADE: http://yourlibrary.edinburgh.gov.uk/node/846
That suggests to me that they are offering the full 'download & read on your ereader' service - of course, if yours is a Kindle, that doesn't help much!

Last edited by LuvReadin; 02-04-2012 at 09:57 AM.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
Are you sure, Mike? I'd be very surprised if they're offering such a restricted service.
My information was out of date. The last time I used the service (a couple of months ago), the books were only available for reading via a web browser. They've progressed a little since then.

Regarding your point about TV commercials and elderly people being disappointed. I haven't seen the commercials you mentioned. But if they said that the Kindle could be used with library books, and if that is not true, then someone should refer it to the Advertising Standards Authority.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My information was out of date. The last time I used the service (a couple of months ago), the books were only available for reading via a web browser. They've progressed a little since then.

Yes, it seems to be rolling out quite fast - the MLA list is well out of date. Have you tried using it with your ereader (which one do you have, BTW?)

Quote:
Regarding your point about TV commercials and elderly people being disappointed. I haven't seen the commercials you mentioned. But if they said that the Kindle could be used with library books, and if that is not true, then someone should refer it to the Advertising Standards Authority.
Oh, you must have seen them - they're all over the TV channels, showing happy cheery people in a country where the sun always shines (not the UK, then! ), reading on the beach, in the park, etc. No, they don't say the Kindle can't be used with library books, but as I said, Amazon doesn't warn buyers that it can't. And unfortunately, the others are so far behind in the UK think first of the Kindle. Hopefully the fact that Asda is now stocking the Kobo will make people realise there are alternatives.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
LuvReadin
Addict

Quote:
For general info, there are actually about 60 libraries offering ebooks now, but I haven't been able to find a complete list - the best I've found is this one, but it's nothing like complete, so if your local one isn't listed, best thing to do is ask. http://www.mla.gov.uk/what/programme...g_e-books.ashx
There's a thread here with a much better list: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120523
Old 02-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Oh, you must have seen them - they're all over the TV channels
I almost never watch TV these days (too busy reading). When I do, I usually watch things I taped earlier, in which case I fast-forward the commercials (doesn't everyone do that?)
Old 02-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
LuvReadin
Addict

Quote:
I almost never watch TV these days (too busy reading). When I do, I usually watch things I taped earlier, in which case I fast-forward the commercials (doesn't everyone do that?)
Oh, that's far too organised!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Oh, that's far too organised!
Actually, I've got a button on the remote control that skips exactly four minutes at a time. Four minutes seems to be the standard length of a commercial break on TV in the UK.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Oh, you must have seen them - they're all over the TV channels, showing happy cheery people in a country where the sun always shines (not the UK, then! ), reading on the beach, in the park, etc. No, they don't say the Kindle can't be used with library books, but as I said, Amazon doesn't warn buyers that it can't.
To be fair, why would Amazon (or indeed anyone) advertise their product by highlighting something it can't do!?!

I agree it's pretty rubbish that people have bought Kindles and can't use them to borrow library books, but as with any technology, you've got to do some research first before you buy.

Personally, I used to read most of my books from the library, but I went for the Kindle despite of that.

1) My local library doesn't offer ebooks yet (and there are very few you can join without residing in the areas)
2) The number of ebooks available in most UK libraries isn't very high
3) For the few library books I have borrowed, I have no qualms about converting them to the Kindle format and deleting it once read as I would with the original epub format.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
And it's not likely to be any time soon either. There's a big problem about Kindles and copyright via libraries. Overdrive has managed to sort out its compatibility with Kindle in the US, but Penguin have recently pulled out of the deal and refuse to allow their books to be used with Kindle for US libraries (not sure exactly what the problem is, but I presume it's something to do with it being easier to circumvent DRM on the Kindle than on other ereader), so I won't be at all surprised if the other publishers don't follow suit.
No. Penguin doesn't allow any library to lend its new titles. The policy is not restricted to Amazon. FWIW, Penguin does allow libraries to lend its backlist, for both kindle and epub.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote