Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
Uthred
Uthred began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Fixing the reset button?

A while ago my dr1000 got a little knock which "opened" the bottom part of the casing a bit. It didnt crack the casing, it appears that the casing is supposed to/can open like that. I clicked it back together and the unit continued working fine. I noticed a while later that the reset button had dropped out or into the device. Which wasnt an issue as I didnt really use it. However my device has done that wonderful self drain of the battery and I need the reset button to try and force it back into some semblance of life. So Im wondering is it possible to repair or replace the reset switch or is there another way to force the unit to reset?
Uthred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
I've read of people fixing it in some way, but you'd have to open the unit for that.

As for the drain: when it happens to my unit, it doesn't need a reset. I tend to try that, impatient as I am, and it consistently stops early in the boot sequence. But, once the battery is charged above the minimum threshold, the unit boots itself afresh. It doesn't wait for me to reset it. So, perhaps just charging it will do the trick for you as well?
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Uthred
Uthred began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Ive tired charging it a few times. But to no avail, seems its knackered. Oh well, its sort of like getting an anchor removed from my neck. Ive never suffered as much buyers remorse as I did with this piece of shit.
Uthred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Have you solved this problem? It seems that I came across the same problem on my brand new device.

---
(added)
I changed the battery in DR1000S and it was turned on without the reset button. I don't know if it is some kind of solution.. And another problem related with the new battery occured and my device became stange now..

Last edited by bokjeid; 10-18-2010 at 07:13 AM.
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Not just a bump - real solutions?

I first mangled the reset button, and then tore it off using a toothpick instead of the *very gentle stylus touch* as recommended in the manuals. While that is of course completely my bad, this is some serious piece of shit design -- the switch isn't even soldered on the main board and it is way too fragile.

Now the 'for parts' unit I purchased recently has got lost in the mail, apparently, so maybe it's time for some DIY. It is possible to put a metal nail file flat against the contacts where the switch rested and the DR1000 resets OK. However, it's a real PITA to open the device every time, so I'm thinking about getting some conductive glue and sticking a less frail switch on its place.

So far I've found these possible replacements in eBay:
Stroke leaf switch; search
Mini push button

What do you guys think?

Last edited by MrWarper; 10-30-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: wording
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Very good solution, no soldiering or anything.

Bump. I finally replaced my system board. However, in the interim I had an extremely easy and good solution working for quite some time, so I thought I'd share it here. Sorry, no pics, I hope a description will suffice if anyone finds this useful.

Once the reset button is torn off, you need to open the unit to fix it. Find some nice pics and guidelines to do it here.

Now, if you carefully follow the printed circuit paths, you'll see that both ends of the switch are (or rather, were) connected to two of the many small holes that pierce the motherboard. These holes have a metallic rim and they are just wide enough to let a fine (hair-like) copper wire through.

All you need is passing two regular fine copper wires through these holes, and tying both ends of each wire around the MB border forming two loops right beyond the 'socket' for the switch button, so the wires don't move. If you press a metal piece connecting both loops, the unit resets perfectly.

After securing the loops I took the ends of both wires out through the case hole that lets the pen in for the regular reset, and glued them to opposite sides of the hole on the outside of the case.

Now, every time you need to reset your unit, instead of sticking your stylus in the hole, you just press any metal piece on it connecting both wire ends, and there you go.

Last edited by MrWarper; 09-14-2012 at 11:15 AM.
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote