Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #31
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Last I heard, Kobo has much larger market share than Nook, at least worldwide (which makes sense, I suppose, heh). Apparently Kobo even surpasses Amazon in some markets. Surprised me to hear it, actually. They seem to be pretty serious about new device development, and I suspect we may see them gain a bit of state-side visibility over the next few years.
Kobo outsells Kindle in Canada.
It's their home turf and Canada is very protective of "cultural products".

Quote:
I like that concept. I cant imagine including an sd slot, though, since that's dying in current devices as it is.
MicroSD.
You want a way to archive the books without a PC, for when the reader (eventually) dies.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #32
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

MicroSD.
You want a way to archive the books without a PC, for when the reader (eventually) dies.
Most Canadians think the Kobo is made in the USA Only product I think we are protective about are beer and Maple syrup, and not really a lot of that going on.

Canada often sells it's products cheaper in the states.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Most Canadians think the Kobo is made in the USA Only product I think we are protective about are beer and Maple syrup, and not really a lot of that going on.

Canada often sells it's products cheaper in the states.
Helen
The way I heard it Amazon had a hard time getting into Canada thanks to Indigo behind the scenes maneuvering.
(shrug)
Old 09-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #34
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The way I heard it Amazon had a hard time getting into Canada thanks to Indigo behind the scenes maneuvering.
(shrug)
AFAIK Amazon wasn't interested in selling ereaders in Canada due to their perception that the population was too low and the tax differences etc were too much for their sales software. You could not order a kindle 3 (the first kindle shipped to Canada)when they came out through Amazon.ca but could through Amazon.com.

Nook still doesn't sell ereaders in Canada, and like Amazon 2-3 years ago, and many other US companies, because they can't be bothered to. The market is not perceived to be big enough to make it worthwhile to deal with the extra paperwork (GST perhaps).

When I got my mother a kindle 3 it was shipped with no customs (duties) added, and the GST was strangely enough paid by Amazon. I paid shipping which they refunded.

When I had to return it they shipped me a new one from Texas to Vancouver in under 13 hours. I was awed and amazed. No customs, no extra charges.

Canadians bought Kobos because they were available in stores, advertised widely, (big campaign around the same time as the release of the kindle 3) and much cheaper than Sony and kindles. Many were not impressed with their purchases and hate ereaders passionately and many were perfectly fine with them.

As for the Canadian government discouraging ereader import, why would they? Few people knew what an ereader was before Amazon started shipping kindles to Canada.

Kobo was never a big employer like Ford for example (and yes I know Ford is American but Canada subsidized them) or a major force in the marketplace, or an exciting innovative company. Canada has let many larger and better Canadian companies die through US competition and or takeovers, why would they get all excited about Kobo? You can now buy kindles in many electronic retail stores in Canada, and I have heard no news about embargos being lifted, And like I said earlier, most Canadians think Kobo is American

Helen
Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #35
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
AFAIK Amazon wasn't interested in selling ereaders in Canada due to their perception that the population was too low and the tax differences etc were too much for their sales software.

Helen
Uh, I was referring to Amazon's original entry into Canada, for Pbooks, which Indigo blocked for years. And before, Canada blocked any non-canadian retailers.

http://greenwoodeconomics.blogspot.c...-and-alex.html

Btw, I don't care much either way on this, but the fact is Indigo has quite a few detractors over this.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-18-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Advert
Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #36
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I would be sad to see libraries disappear.
Apart from taking out books, in the last month I have:

1: printed out some stuff that I needed as my printer died and I haven't bought a new one yet. (20c cents a sheet)

2: played on some xbox there with my son (free)

3: went to a presentation by a new author which was hosted by the library and they provided snacks and drinks, all free..

4: a Local boardgames club meets there on Friday nights, which I goto sometimes. (free)

5: went to another presentation by an author, which was hosted by the library and they provided snacks and drinks, all free.

6: meet my kids there after they finish school and browse books and chat.

7: my kids go there and use the free internet access sometimes after school and/or meet their friends to do their homework in the study areas provided by the library....all free.

8: As my local library is on the top floor of a very large shopping centre, I drop in there
after I've been shopping sometimes and there's a social area with couches and a TV on low where people chill out, read magazines or chat etc.

Last edited by danskmacabre; 09-18-2013 at 09:08 PM.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #37
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Uh, I was referring to Amazon's original entry into Canada, for Pbooks, which Indigo blocked for years. And before, Canada blocked any non-canadian retailers.

Btw, I don't care much either way on this, but the fact is Indigo has quite a few detractors over this.
Ahh, I was carrying on from post #31 and the cultural products.

Quote:
Where did we segue into Indigo blocking Amazon on selling books? Like you I am not all excited whether they did or they didn't.

I do know for a fact, that Amazon was selling paper books in Canada (legally shipping to Canadian addresses through customs) long before there was a Kobo ereader.

In 2008 I had 2 Romanian roommates who delighted in showing me their Amazon book purchases. "See" they would say, "cheaper including shipping and it is delivered"

Canada did go through a short stint of trying to protect small businesses, but I think Borders opted out because big box and chain Canadian bookstores were having a hard time as it was. I an pretty sure they could have gotten around any restrictions as many American retailers (Walmart?)did. Now we have Target. Go figure.

Anyway I totally missed the part where we changed from kindles and Kobos to Amazon owned bookstores. Sorry for that.

Helen
Old 09-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #38
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:

Ahh, I was carrying on from post #31 and the cultural products.

Quote:
Where did we segue into Indigo blocking Amazon on selling books? Like you I am not all excited whether they did or they didn't.

I do know for a fact, that Amazon was selling paper books in Canada (legally shipping to Canadian addresses through customs) long before there was a Kobo ereader.

In 2008 I had 2 Romanian roommates who delighted in showing me their Amazon book purchases. "See" they would say, "cheaper including shipping and it is delivered"

Canada did go through a short stint of trying to protect small businesses, but I think Borders opted out because big box and chain Canadian bookstores were having a hard time as it was. I am pretty sure they could have gotten around any restrictions as many American retailers (Walmart?)did. Now we have Target. Go figure.

Anyway I totally missed the part where we changed from kindles and Kobos to Amazon owned bookstores. Sorry for that.

Helen
Old 09-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #39
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
MicroSD.
Well yeah, I presumed microsd. I suppose if the reader was marketed as a device totally independent of a computer, you would need micro sd. Still I imagine the target market would likely have personal computers in some form.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #40
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
I'm not sure what Mr. Patterson is really after, but if he's serious it's VERY simple. Just make EVERY ONE of his books available to every library in the country.......

Doesn't have to give 'em a stinkin' penny.

And if he REALLY want's to be useful, have him tell all his buddies to do the SAME THING...

'Cause we've gone ANOTHER 9 months and it looks like every scumbag publisher that refused to make books available to libraries STILL doesn't. And if the authors don't force them, they'll all just continue fighting to see who can be the last buggywhip maker.
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #41
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well yeah, I presumed microsd. I suppose if the reader was marketed as a device totally independent of a computer, you would need micro sd. Still I imagine the target market would likely have personal computers in some form.
The business model is based on the kiosks as a counter to Whispernet.
Plus, making the reader independent of PCs makes it appealing to more people.

Won't matter, in the end; the outfits that would most benefit don't think in terms of systems and audiences. They believe in magic tables enabling "discovery".
"Stock it and they will come".
Old 09-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #42
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Give an indie bookstore a fish and they will survive for one more meal....teach an indie store to fish and ...
They'd be a fishmonger?
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #43
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
GAYLE KING: Why?

JAMES PATTERSON: We’re making this transition to e-books and that’s fine and good and terrific and wonderful, but we’re not doing it in an organized, sane, civilized way. So what’s happening right now is a lot of bookstores are disappearing, a lot of libraries are disappearing or they’re not being funded, school libraries aren’t being funded as well. This is not a good thing. It used to be you could find books everywhere. You go to Sweden, Sweden has 8 million people, a book will sell a million copies there.
Patterson is a fiction writer, so let's not get too upset about his usage of facts.

1) Sweden has about 9.5 million people
2) The latest bestseller I can find is, The 100 Year Old Man Who Went Out the Window and Disappeared, it sold 614 000 copies. Now, I find this quite impressive in relation to the population, it would be lika a book Selling 20 million copies in the US. But it is still a far cry from a million books as Patterson claims.

At least, now we know what the facts are.
Continue the discussion children.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #44
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
"JAMES PATTERSON: You go to Sweden, Sweden has 8 million people, a book will sell a million copies there."

This was one of the things I didn't understand, a million copies sold from a population of 8 million sounded terrific to me.... and as you've just proved Kumabjorn, it really is terrific since the reality is quite a bit less from an even higher population! Either way, not too shabby figures since there are so many other competing attractions for people to spend their money on. So what's his point?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #45
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
"JAMES PATTERSON: You go to Sweden, Sweden has 8 million people, a book will sell a million copies there."

This was one of the things I didn't understand, a million copies sold from a population of 8 million sounded terrific to me.... and as you've just proved Kumabjorn, it really is terrific since the reality is quite a bit less from an even higher population! Either way, not too shabby figures since there are so many other competing attractions for people to spend their money on. So what's his point?
That he'd like to see a similar ratio of sales in the US?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote