Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
RKnack
Enthusiast
RKnack began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 (deceased)
MeBook 4.3" mini touchscreen?

My Sony Pocket Model PRS350 died on me, and since it is out of warranty it would cost as much to have it repaired as it would to get a new one, if I shopped around for the best price. Not only that, but it would not do MP3 audiobooks. I decided to try something different. After looking around a bit, I found one on EBay for what seems to be a good price, given its features:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320752697056...84.m1497.l2649

A bit of research showed that it is a MeBook mini touchscreen. I like the fact that it will play a variety of video formats as well as MP3's and ebooks, and the fact that (unlike the Sony) the memory can be expanded up to an additional 32GB (my Sony was starting to bog down, with 1,175 books in its memory, but that's not what killed it), and the price seemed decent so I bought one (it was just shipped out a short bit ago, so I don't expect it to arrive for another week or so).

Does anybody have any experience with this reader, good or bad? I had considered a Kindle, but I have heard rumors that Amazon has gone into devices owned by different people and deleted content it deemed "questionable", and I don't like that sort of "big brotherism" on behalf of a company. Also, AFAIK, the Kindle won't read EPUB formats and most of my library consists of EBUB, LRF, and PDF files.
RKnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I am not aquainted with this particular unit, but for reading I have a 4.3 android tablet and it is fairly nice. Pocketable and lots of abilities. Do a search on Amazon for 4.3 android tablet and you might find them. the ebay ad isn't clear if it is full android unless I missed it.

I don't use it any more since I went to a samsung player but it is very similar screen.

Battery life is not as nice as the kindles however. Then again you could get one of the emergency battery rigs if you need more life than normal.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
RKnack
Enthusiast

I had considered an android tablet from the same EBay seller, but the MeBook was less expensive. I don't really need WiFi or 3G/4G capability (I'll get an IPad later on, if I decide I need a device with wireless connectivity other than my laptop). The MeBook, AFAIK, is not android, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
RKnack
Enthusiast

Well, it arrived on Monday. Turns out they sent me an older model that does not have the FM radio capability listed in the description, so they are giving me a partial refund of $8.00.

It's not a bad little reader, so far at least, for the price, although the instruction manual is written in some of the most atrocious "Chinglish" I have seen thus far, and the default menu was Chinese so I had to fumble through the menus before stumbling upon the one that switched it to English. It has quite a few features on it besides ebook reading, including video playback, voice recording, calendar (with memo capability), and audio playback (nice if you like audio books - or old time radio shows, like I do! ). It has a RockChip RK2738 SDK processor in it. My only real gripe, so far, is it does not seem to accept metadata from Calibre, and archiving is strictly by author and then alphabetical by title - rough, if you like reading series and don't know what the next novel in the series is. The touch-screen is resistive rather than capacitative and some functions are easier to access with a stylus for precision. But, as I said, so far for less than $40 it's not a bad reader.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I built a wiki page on this product. You might want to look it over and update it with any data I missed.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
RKnack
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I built a wiki page on this product. You might want to look it over and update it with any data I missed.

Dale
What's the URL for the wiki page?
Old 05-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
MobileRead Wiki (the top of the forum page, at the left, is a quick click to the "Wiki") - https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Main_Page

I believe the below is the Wiki page Dale posted about.

MeBook Touch - https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MeBook_Touch
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
RKnack
Enthusiast

Here is a link to the model I have. It looks a bit different from the one shown on the Wiki page:

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/who...4_Player_4GB_1

Apparently there is a new model out that looks the same, but includes an FM radio receiver (which supposedly only works with the earbuds/headphones in place, as the cord acts as the antenna).
Old 05-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #9
RKnack
Enthusiast

Okay, it's obviously a fragile piece of junk. I dropped it on the floor, and not even from any great height (as I was getting ready to sit down at the time), and it quit working. My computer will recognize it, but it refuses to come on. I mean, c'mon - I have dropped my cell-phone any number of times and it still works fine, and this thing quits after being dropped ONCE???

EDIT:Somehow, not sure how, it is working again. When I dropped it, it turned itself off, and no amount of button-pushing would revive it. Plugging it into a power source (or the computer) will normally turn it on. That didn't help, although the computer still recognized it as a mass storage device (two, counting the 8GB mini-SD in the slot). After letting it sit for a while, I plugged it back into the computer, figuring I would at least remove the data to load onto another e-reader (when I got one) - AND IT TURNED ON! It is still working, thankfully, and it is now in the case I had ordered for it, which finally arrived in the mail (the day AFTER I dropped it, of course...). Hopefully it will keep working until I can afford a better quality reader...

Last edited by RKnack; 05-07-2013 at 03:57 AM.