Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
jetBook screen

Question to jetBook owners:

Please read this thread Toshiba Matsushita Display readies E Ink competing LCD panel :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9397
dated on 01-16-2007. You are welcome to submit your opinion about jetBook screen and if possible compare it with E ink screen if you have or tested both devices.

Important : Please don't submit any opinions if you don't have or never tested jetBook eBook reader before.

I think your comments let mobileread visitors understand that E ink is not only one solution available on the market.

Last edited by Kris777; 04-25-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I have the OEM version of the Jetbook. It has the same hardware, just different software. I also have the Kindle. I think the screen on the Jetbook is better.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I have the OEM version of the Jetbook. It has the same hardware, just different software. I also have the Kindle. I think the screen on the Jetbook is better.
So what is your OEM version of the JetBook called?

Is the firmware available for download, and would it work on the JetBook? Does it have any advantages (like, does it support DRM?) or disadvantages (like, no search capability) over the JetBook firmware?

Since the JetBook is essentially a Linux device, the only thing preventing a Linux wizard (which I'm not one of) from cooking his/her own ROM is the availability of hardware drivers.

I think this discussion properly belongs over in the DEV HUB section or the E-Book Devices forums, since none of those exist for the JetBook, here is as good a place to start as any.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I thought I included a link before. Here is where I discussed the M218A:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21913

I would not recommend trying the firmware. I'm not even sure you can try. What I do know is that I cannot switch the M218A to the Jetbook firmware.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
After taking a look at Nate's photos of the M218A and his K1 and then comparing to my 505, I'd say that the background of the 505 is close to that of the M218A and better then the K1. But then in the photo, the K1 was at a slight angle away form the camera.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
From the translation of the Chinese Jinchan M218A website, the Jinchan's firmware is more geared to Chinese texts and would not be advantageous for English books.

Guess its back to plan one!

Last edited by wodin; 04-25-2009 at 04:48 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
From the translation of the Chinese Jinchan M218A website, the Jinchan's firmware is more geared to Chinese texts and would not be advantageous for English books.

Guess its back to plan one!
This info available in English on Ectaco website:
http://www.ectaco.com/M218B/
Chinese version has also Built-in Wi-Fi, connecting with wireless network
but has no support for Mobi, PRC, ePub and RTF formats

Last edited by Kris777; 04-25-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Kris777
Banned

I made the picture of jetBook screen with smalest font size - 12 to show the quality of the screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JetBook_screen.jpg
Views:	2002
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	28121  
Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
krtekz
krtekz began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch, axim x30
How does Jetbook's screen compare to monochrome Palm PDA's, say Handspring Visor?

Last edited by krtekz; 04-28-2009 at 06:47 PM.
krtekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krtekz View Post
How does Jetbook's screen compare to monochrome Palm PDA's, say Handspring Visor?
jetBook has TFT screen that is more close to eink screen than regular LCD
Old 04-29-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I have a PDA that is TFT. How would the jetbook compare to it?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I have a PDA that is TFT. How would the jetbook compare to it?
The jetbook screen is described in a separate article in the wiki. It has a mirror like backing to reflect the ambient light thus the improved contrast under bright lights. It cannot be backlit. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Reflective_LCD

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
Kris777
Banned

jetBook vs Kindle screen:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=98
Old 08-20-2009, 11:26 PM   #14
Kris777
Banned

I think this thread belongs to jetBook forum now
Old 08-21-2009, 01:07 AM   #15
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I made the picture of jetBook screen with smalest font size - 12 to show the quality of the screen
Speaking from my own jetBook experience, I think that Kris777's photo is the best example I have seen of what the jetBook screen actually looks like under normal lighting. For those unable to actually test a jetBook before buying, this photo shows you exactly what the screen looks like.

The photo looks like it was taken under moderately bright light, without flash. I find that it is still very readable under much lower light levels.

Kris777 - good job on the photo.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote