Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-15-2016, 10:19 AM   #1
docmartn
docmartn began at the beginning.

Device: Android and PC
PlugIn Recommendations

I'm looking for recommendations on plugins for the Calibre reader. One that let's me highlight text and the other to convert text to speech if one exists. Thanks

JC
docmartn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmartn View Post
I'm looking for recommendations on plugins for the Calibre reader. One that let's me highlight text and the other to convert text to speech if one exists. Thanks
@docmartn - the calibre viewer you see today is at end-of-life, maybe the new one will support persistent highlights. One problem is that there are no de-jure standards for such things, and getting the major players to formulate de-facto conventions probably won't happen whilst we remain on the 'let's monetise everything' merry-go-round.

Re Text to speech - I use Balabolka, I integrate it into calibre via it's Open With feature see ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...96&postcount=9 - no plugin needed.

Hope that helps a bit at least

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2016, 11:34 PM   #3
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Re Text to speech - I use Balabolka, I integrate it into calibre via it's Open With feature see ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...96&postcount=9 - no plugin needed.
Open With is a plugin... Unless I missed it being replaced by a core feature of the same name.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:15 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Open With is a plugin... Unless I missed it being replaced by a core feature of the same name.
Open with is a feature in Calibre. There's no need for the plug-in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:17 AM   #5
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
So it is. I did find it, but I had to grep the source code to do it. Pity I didn't follow BR's link first off.

FYI for others:

It appears that the core feature version of 'Open with...' is only available:

a) By right-clicking the format link in Book Details--which also means it's invisible and inaccessible if you don't have 'Formats' checked in Preferences > Look & Feel > Book Details, or;

b) From the 'View Specific Format' (alt-v by default) action, under the View action.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2016, 04:59 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Open with is a feature in Calibre. There's no need for the plug-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
b) From the 'View Specific Format' (alt-v by default) action, under the View action.
That's what I always use - I even gave it the 'V' key - palm frontwards of course

I always read the release notes before downloading a release - that's where I first found it. It's a jolly good feature because it hooks up with the OS Open With - on Windows at least.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-16-2016 at 05:01 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
highlight text, highlighting, plug-ins, text to speech