Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
steinarb
Enthusiast
steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS T-1
The opds-reader plugin disappeared after upgrade to calibre 5

I'm the author of the opds-reader calibre plugin.

After upgrading to calibre 5, the plugin disappeared from the UI.

I've run "calibre-debug -g" and calibre finds the plugin and reports no errors on the plugin:
Code:
sb@mccoy:~/git/opds-reader/calibre_plugin$ calibre-debug -g
calibre 5.0.1 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.19041-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: en_GB
Successfully initialized third party plugins: OPDS Client (1, 0, 0)
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 118.41774744027302 x 118.22545454545454
Using calibre Qt style: True
[0.00] Starting up...
[0.27] Showing splash screen...
[17.28] splash screen shown
[17.28] Initializing db...
[21.27] db initialized
[21.27] Constructing main UI...
Failed to load recipe from: 'Aftenposten.no_1002.recipe'
Failed to load recipe from: 'nrk.no_1000.recipe'
[49.64] main UI initialized...
[49.64] Hiding splash screen
Starting QuickView
The plugin also shows up in the plugins section of Preferences.

The plugin does not show up in the "Toolbars and menus" section where I would at the plugin's toolbutton to the main menu bar.

What could be missing and/or need to be updated?

I've looked at the plugin documentation and compared to what I have in the plugin code and as far as I can tell, the plugin still confirms to a GUI plugin.

Is the problem that I haven't packed up the plugin in a zip file, but instead run the plugin from the git clone?

Thanks!

- Steinar
steinarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #2
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Your 5 year old plugin is not Python 3.8 compatible.

Example:

The urllib2 module has been split across several modules in Python 3 named urllib.request and urllib.error.

Code:
""model.py: This is a QAbstractTableModel that holds a list of Metadata objects created from books in an OPDS feed"""

__author__    = "Steinar Bang"
__copyright__ = "Steinar Bang, 2015"
__credits__   = ["Steinar Bang"]
__license__   = "GPL v3"

import datetime
from PyQt5.Qt import Qt, QAbstractTableModel, QCoreApplication
from calibre.ebooks.metadata.book.base import Metadata
from calibre.gui2 import error_dialog
from calibre.web.feeds import feedparser
import urlparse
import urllib2
import json
import re

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
steinarb
Enthusiast
steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.

Thanks!

So the problem is in the imports?

Is there a list of the stuff that has changed?
Old 10-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325721 offers guidance to plugin devs. It's a pinned thread in this subforum, even.

Google will probably find you additional references to "port from python2 to python3".
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:06 PM   #5
steinarb
Enthusiast

Thanks!

I've seen that post by Kovid Goyal, and I am already working from what google searches about upgrading from python 2 to python 3 turn up.

What I'm primarily looking for (and google searches as yet haven't turned up), is a way to diagnose what's wrong with my plugin. A way to load it that would output all error messages such as e.g. "import not found" or similar.

"calibre-debug -g" outputs a lot of stuff, but nothing about what's wrong with my plugin.

Thanks again!
Advert
Old 10-01-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
steinarb
Enthusiast

"calible-debug <py-file>" on the files of the plugin seems to give some error messages.

I'll go with that for now.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does the plugin provide a command-line interface? You could run it with calibre-debug -r "Plugin Name"
Old 10-01-2020, 02:47 PM   #8
steinarb
Enthusiast

Unfortunately no command line interface. Perhaps it should have had?

That would have made it simpler.

But anyway the plugin is up again.

I started with "calibre-debug main.py" and then working my way through the error messages (wrong imports and "print" without parantheses).

I was confused for a while when "calibre-debug main.py" started reporting errors in other .py files in the plugin and continued to report the errors even after I had fixed them.

But then I found that re-running "calibre-customize -b ." made the fixed code be picked up by main.py.

And after I had fixed all errors the plugin reappeared in calibre.

It is so much easier to work with error messages instead of staring at code I haven't touched for 5 years to try to figure out what's going on...:-)

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinarb View Post
Unfortunately no command line interface. Perhaps it should have had?

That would have made it simpler.
They're optional but very handy sometimes.
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/plu...lugin.cli_main

Quote:
I started with "calibre-debug main.py" and then working my way through the error messages (wrong imports and "print" without parantheses).

I was confused for a while when "calibre-debug main.py" started reporting errors in other .py files in the plugin and continued to report the errors even after I had fixed them.

But then I found that re-running "calibre-customize -b ." made the fixed code be picked up by main.py.
Yeah, if things import from calibre_plugins.<name>.config or something then it will try to load them via the plugin infra, not relative to the current unpacked directory.

But using python-modernize could help to do much of the grunt work of porting!

Quote:
And after I had fixed all errors the plugin reappeared in calibre.

It is so much easier to work with error messages instead of staring at code I haven't touched for 5 years to try to figure out what's going on...:-)

Thanks!
I don't know why calibre-debug -g isn't exposing error messages already... it does if __init__.py fails to load, or if you get interface buttons and clicking on them raises errors, it seems weird if something going wrong in between those points is causing errors to get eaten instead of logged.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #10
steinarb
Enthusiast

(well the plugin was back showing up, but it wasn't actually working again. But now I'm getting error messages and that I can work with)
Old 10-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
(well the plugin was back showing up, but it wasn't actually working again. But now I'm getting error messages and that I can work with)
The real fun unless you want to fork your plugin is going to be having the plugin work with both Python 2 and Python 3.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #12
steinarb
Enthusiast

FYI the opds-reader plugin now works on calibre 5.01 https://github.com/steinarb/opds-reader/issues/10

Note: I have made no efforts at making opds-reader still work with python 2 and calibre 4.x (with python 2 EOL'd the only way is forward).

Thanks all, for your assistance!
Old 10-03-2020, 08:55 AM   #13
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Note: I have made no efforts at making opds-reader still work with python 2 and calibre 4.x (with python 2 EOL'd the only way is forward).
You should probably update the minimum_calibre_version in your plugin's __init__.py file.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:30 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
FYI the opds-reader plugin now works on calibre 5.01 https://github.com/steinarb/opds-reader/issues/10

Thanks all, for your assistance!
But there are people who cannot run Calibre 5 but can run 4.23. What about them?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But there are people who cannot run Calibre 5 but can run 4.23. What about them?
Leave the old Python 2 version available for them would seem to be the simplest solution.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote