Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 02:51 AM   #1
xplosivo
xplosivo began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Unread vs. Read books

New to calibre and got a quick question. Was wondering if there is a way to "mark off" so to speak, books that you have read and ones that you haven't read. Feel like this would be a good way to organize my library a bit. I'd like to keep them in the library so I could go back and possibly re-read a book. Was looking around the plugins and seemed like some of them touched on what I am looking for but not quite. Maybe there is already a feature built in that I can't find.

Great software by the way. Seems like the dev put a lot of effort into making this a comprehensive piece of software.

Thanks in advance.
xplosivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:45 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There seem to be a couple of basic approaches - which way you go is up to personal preference:

- Add a tag to indicate status

- Add a custom column (possibly with a restricted set of values) and use this to indicate read/unread status.

There are lots of variants of this approach for those who want to know which members of a family have read the book and/or which devices it has been loaded onto. However they all tend to map onto one of the two approaches mentioned above.

In the past people 'overloaded' the use of columns such as 'Rating' to track the read status. However those doing this tended to have started before Calibre supported Custom columns (and were thus restricted in the fields available). Custom columns is a much tidier approach.

You might also want to look at the Reading List plugin available via the Plugins section of the forum.

Calibre is now so configurable there is no 'one-right-way' to do many things so go with any approach that you find suits your preferred method of working.

Last edited by itimpi; 06-15-2011 at 03:47 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
xplosivo
xplosivo began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Thanks a bunch. Custom column was pretty much what i was looking to do, but didn't poke around in the preferences to find it until you mentioned it was possible. Thanks again!
xplosivo is offline   Reply With Quote